·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically looks like they Jeepified a Honda Element:

2015 Jeep Renegade - Autoblog

The 2015 Jeep Renegade Is Just As Cool Live

Jeep unveils new Renegade small SUV - Mar. 4, 2014

New Jeep Renegade at Geneva motor show; official news on SUV formerly known as the Jeepster, Laredo - Autoweek

First Official Pics of the 2015 Jeep Renegade

Available in the states with a 1.4L Turbo or 2.4L non-Turbo. Interesting to see a big-name company jump into the mini-wagon market, especially since the Element got phased out, but with the success of the Soul in terms of sales volumes, it's no wonder other companies are trying to muscle in. Although I kind of hate to say it, but having driven a Soul for 3 years on a lease and then purchasing a 2014 model, I would take a Soul's build quality & longevity over a Jeep's :D

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
As someone who has owned 2 Jeeps, I have to agree re: reliability/longevity. I love Jeep Wranglers but you better like working on a vehicle if you own one.

·
Registered
388 Posts
don't like the front end on it, I think it would look better with the 2014 cherokee's frontend (which is funny cause I don't like that frontend on the the cherokee)

120 Posts
As someone who has owned 2 Jeeps, I have to agree re: reliability/longevity. I love Jeep Wranglers but you better like working on a vehicle if you own one.
i have to disagree with you on this one. i had a 97 wrangler purchased new. Had a new trany replaced under warranty after 3 years but jeep was driven real hard. sold it to a family member when it had a 100k and bought it back a couple years later. Sold it 2 years ago with almost 200k on it to a neighbor. I see him driving it every day. it must have at least 230k on it by now. but that was the older straight six engine, those things were bullet proof.
however, i did sell it to by my Soul. $100 a week for fuel was killing me. Now i only spend 40 to 45.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny you mention that...my friend just bought a really nice used Cherokee; I was impressed with interior design & loved the tan look throughout the car. I was checking out the 2014 Grand Cherokee online and came across this article:

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review - Autoblog

But just read the comments...OH MY GOSH hahaha. So many negative ones from 2014 owners! I've started looking for a larger family car that isn't a minivan and the '14 GC is definitely appealing, but the reputation is not. Ugh.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have to disagree with you on this one. i had a 97 wrangler purchased new. Had a new trany replaced under warranty after 3 years but jeep was driven real hard. sold it to a family member when it had a 100k and bought it back a couple years later. Sold it 2 years ago with almost 200k on it to a neighbor. I see him driving it every day. it must have at least 230k on it by now. but that was the older straight six engine, those things were bullet proof.
however, i did sell it to by my Soul. $100 a week for fuel was killing me. Now i only spend 40 to 45.
Glad to hear some positive feedback on Jeep's reliability! It was the same for my Soul - I spend under $50 a week now, which easily saves me $100+ a month over my previous ride. It's really satisfying to be able to fill up for $44 instead of $84!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I owned 2 of them (Jeep Wranglers) that I put a lot of miles on. The 258 straight six and the differentials were the only parts of the vehicle that were reliable. Everything else was a ticking time bomb. Luckily there's a lot of data that backs up my personal experience - CR gives Jeep Wranglers a big black mark for reliability. So do other mags. I'm glad yours was reliable - and I like Jeeps, personally, so I hope they keep making them - but from the late 80's just before AMC bailed on them and Chrysler took over they are nothing like they used to be with the CJ's.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My 2002 Wrangler's engine blew at 97,000 miles. Thank God for the extended warranty. Sold it 3,000 miles later.

Oh, and my 88 Wrangler went up in flames at a gas station due to something that cracked while I was driving on the highway. Forgot what it was called. Not much luck with Wranglers, as much as I loved both of them.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Looks like a redesigned Patriot .... Same old 2.4 4cyl and looks like the fiat 1.4 turbo as your alternate choice .... No thanks

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
With every car ever made, you Do get a good one every once in a while.
By the way, it's possible that the strait six, was the engine that they got from Rambler.
I also had one, in an IH Scout. It was almost bullet proof.

But, my neighbor has a Jeep Cherokee, that keeps loosing water and nobody can find out where it's going..... just going.

I did an oil change on a Jeep Cherokee a while back for a friend (from N.Y.) and what a total Bit** it was just to get the oil filter out.
I won't volunteer to do that again. :)

:cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
A straight-on side view of this Renegade looks VERY much like the 2014 Soul. The lower end Jeep has painted rims that look like a Subaru Crosstrek. Before my low back gave me such pain and the Soul was HIGHLY recommended, I was pondering the small SUV market such as Nissan Rogue or the Hyundai Tucson. My Soul has just as much room (BIGGER back seat), has car tires and better gas mileage. Funny how some car makers made fun of the Soul and now are scrambling to copy it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Good call. It's the exact same engine with a bigger displacement. 7 main bearings, so the damn thing was really hard to destroy. They used it in farm equipment too. It was never the durability of the engine, it was all the other parts attached to the vehicle. Even with all that, I still love Jeeps. I'm just at a point in my life where it can't be my only car because it's just not that reliable.

By the way, it's possible that the strait six, was the engine that they got from Rambler.

But, my neighbor has a Jeep Cherokee, that keeps loosing water and nobody can find out where it's going..... just going.

I did an oil change on a Jeep Cherokee a while back for a friend (from N.Y.) and what a total Bit** it was just to get the oil filter out.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Good call. It's the exact same engine with a bigger displacement. 7 main bearings, so the damn thing was really hard to destroy. They used it in farm equipment too. It was never the durability of the engine, it was all the other parts attached to the vehicle. Even with all that, I still love Jeeps. I'm just at a point in my life where it can't be my only car because it's just not that reliable.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Jeep is rated 23 out of 28 in reliability...1 being the best, 28 being the worst...so not too great. Kia was down 6 spots to 16 (basically tied 15 with BMW) Most reliable was Optima hybrid, worst was Optima turbo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts