Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

321 - 326 of 326 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Okay, I went ahead and called my Kia dealer to schedule. I asked them about how long and they said 2 hours. They said they are actually going to be checking bearing clearance? Not sure how they can do that without dropping the oil pan but we shall see.
Be sure and let us know. The curious want to know what they do. :)

H

·
Registered
537 Posts
To check the bearing clearance we use a dial indicator. We have a special tool. It inserts into your spark plug holes. The dial indicator mounts on top of it and ours is actually a bluetooth dial indicator so it talks to the Kia scanner and has you complete the procedure on each cylinder while transmitting the data to Kia. You basically rotate the engine to TDC, the tool that the dial indicator sits on top of has little holes in it and it is attached to a machine that will apply air pressure and vacuum to the piston to move it up and down to measure the bearing clearance, yes if it had wrist pin clearance or something like that it would not be able to distinguish the difference but if the clearance is out of spec either way it fails the test. If it passes you get the update installed for the knock sensor strategy. Part of the procedure also is to perform an inspection on the fuel lines and oil pan for leaks. It's a great service that Kia is providing and will tell you that there are or are not internal rod bearing issues happening on your engine at that time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went in today for the recall. I was there about two hours, but this dealership isn’t the quickest. I’m rarely out in less than 90 minutes there even for simple things. (I had the knock sensor already done in November.)

The service manager didn’t go into into much detail. She told me they would be checking bearing clearance, and when all was done she just said that my car passed the test. I have attached an image of the relevant portion of my write up.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Got my notification. Nearly two weeks till they have an opening. I asked specifically what will be done and they called the Floor Service Manager over and he said the Rod Bearings need to be checked and if excessive wear they would talk to me about options........I normally would ask more but at this point will wait and see what they actually find.

However it got this point of course no recalls needed is the best but thus far what I am reading seems like a good course of action for the customer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I took mine in a couple days ago and had them flush my transmission and brake fluid lines while it was in there. When I went to pick it up they said their "machine" was broken so they couldn't do the recall. They said they won't have the new machine to do the tests until next week, so I made another appointment to get it done in a couple weeks. Will update with my results once complete.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Had an appt for tomorrow morning, but the dealership called me this afternoon to tell me their computers are down and currently not connecting...probably due to the alleged ransomware attack from last week. Will need to call and reschedule in a few days.

321 - 326 of 326 Posts