Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

301 - 320 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
@GeoSoul also, curious that that mileage stats weren't available for any of the fires/explosions, except for the one with just 7500 clicks -- that's pretty concerning.

anyone know if the 1.6 T-GDI is different form the regular 1.6 GDI? is it just the addition of turbocharger, or are the engines themselves different, with different tolerances?
The lack of mileage data frustrated me too Orange. At first I wondered if the odometer was destroyed by fire. But there should at least be an estimated mileage figure.

These figures were provided in owners complaints to NTHSA, so they aren't exactly great forensic data. Like Hank mentioned, it would be nice if there was detailed data available.

When "Action News Jackie" down in Florida yells Kia Fire, the lack of journalistic (media) investigation does little to inform us on the details that really matter. But cars a blaze make for good visual story.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i found this as well:

and

i am facing this very problem. my engine seized on the highway yesterday. i am taking this as far as i can to get this corrected.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Good for you Mike. Hope you are successful. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Happy holidays!

I have an update on my soul. After a little back and forth with my cars extended warranty people, and being a lucky one who saves service records (like oil changes)(they seriously asked for every oil change service record since I took ownership of the vehicle, and I happily provided them), my extended warranty is going to cover a replacement short block. Total cost to me is $180. I don't normally get an extended warranty, but in this case, I am glad someone, somehow, had me get one.

I'm still keeping up with our souls oil needs in the meantime. It will be interesting to see what the final say is. I've also put a plan in place for the possibility of future issues.

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
I've also put a plan in place for the possibility of future issues.

Not a bad idea!
We started a "car maintenance & repair" bank account instead of buying into an extended warranty. Our past 2 vehicles had purchased extended warranties that we never had to use since their payouts had such a narrow scope. Having a personal fund allows you to decide when it pays out. And if there's money left over after this car's driveable life, we might have a down-payment on the next car! It's a win-win.?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not a bad idea!
We started a "car maintenance & repair" bank account instead of buying into an extended warranty. Our past 2 vehicles had purchased extended warranties that we never had to use since their payouts had such a narrow scope. Having a personal fund allows you to decide when it pays out. And if there's money left over after this car's driveable life, we might have a down-payment on the next car! It's a win-win.?
The kia dealer wanted $10,000 for a used replacement. As you can imagine, I'm not going to put 10k in a 10k vehicle, I promptly said no. There would have been no way, even if I started saving when I bought the car, to afford that. So in this instance, I'm glad I had the warranty. There was no real savings between a short block and long block replacement, in fact more for a short block I was told by the dealer. A direct drop in for a long block, and more work to swap over heads and what not on the short block. I guess it's back to the old saying "better to have and not need, than to need and not have". I debate this every time I buy a vehicle. I've never had a warranty before, but then again, this is the my first car that's less than 10 years old.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I've noticed "wet" areas from oil on rear/belt drive side of my 2.0 engine for a couple years now. Maybe that'll be enough cause for a fresh engine. I think I also read an article this weekend that said they'll extend the powertrain warranty to 15 years or 150,000 miles or something like that too?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Well I've noticed "wet" areas from oil on rear/belt drive side of my 2.0 engine for a couple years now. Maybe that'll be enough cause for a fresh engine. I think I also read an article this weekend that said they'll extend the powertrain warranty to 15 years or 150,000 miles or something like that too?
None of the articles I read this weekend (probably 4 or 5 of them) mentioned anything about extending the warranty. I think at this point, it should be unlimited miles and years! :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
None of the articles I read this weekend (probably 4 or 5 of them) mentioned anything about extending the warranty. I think at this point, it should be unlimited miles and years! :)
Oh, I found it. It was in the car and driver article below:

on the last paragraph they wrote this: "NHTSA report states that Kia will provide 15-year/150,000-mile warranty coverage for engine repairs needed "due to connecting-rod bearing damage." "

·
Registered
641 Posts
Oh, I found it. It was in the car and driver article below:

on the last paragraph they wrote this: "NHTSA report states that Kia will provide 15-year/150,000-mile warranty coverage for engine repairs needed "due to connecting-rod bearing damage." "
Excellent! The additional warranty is nice/better than nothing. I was thankful for the additional 20K miles with the previous KSDS update. Mine is a 2014 w/2.0 so I'll anticipate receiving this letter. Wondering if there's a revised update to go along with the engine bay inspection.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Excellent! The additional warranty is nice/better than nothing. I was thankful for the additional 20K miles with the previous KSDS update. Mine is a 2014 w/2.0 so I'll anticipate receiving this letter. Wondering if there's a revised update to go along with the engine bay inspection.
I have the same year/engine as yours, but I'm a second owner so no warranty. I'll get one with the knock sensor software upgrade, but it would be even better if it gets extended to 15 years in January. Hopefully that C&D article is correct. 🤞

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have the same year/engine as yours, but I'm a second owner so no warranty. I'll get one with the knock sensor software upgrade, but it would be even better if it gets extended to 15 years in January. Hopefully that C&D article is correct. 🤞
I was under the impression with the recent KSDS software, that the warranty for the engine was extended to 120K miles, not just for the original owner, but any subsequent ones as well. And the additional warranty will be even nicer with this new recall. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anybody get notified by Kia yet? The article said they would start notifying on January 27th, but didn't know if that meant letters getting mailed on the 27th or if they expected letters to be delivered starting January 27th.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did not get anything from Kia. But I did get an email from Carfax that there was a recall on the vehicle, so I logged into the service appointment system on my dealeeship’s website. It allowed me to choose the recall as my reason for needing service, so I’m scheduled to go in on Friday.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I did not get anything from Kia. But I did get an email from Carfax that there was a recall on the vehicle, so I logged into the service appointment system on my dealeeship’s website. It allowed me to choose the recall as my reason for needing service, so I’m scheduled to go in on Friday.
Same here. I read and saw the recall info a month or so ago. Have been waiting for the letter to arrive and been checking Kia's website with my VIN. I checked as recently as a week or two ago and there was nothing. After receiving the notice via MyCarfax account this morning, I checked the Kia website again and there was the open recall notice for my vehicle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh okay, I just looked my VIN up and had the recall as well. I assume the dealership will send a letter out to ask us to make an appointment like they usually do?

EDIT: Nevermind, I logged into my KIA portal and you can schedule an appointment for the recall there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay, I went ahead and called my Kia dealer to schedule. I asked them about how long and they said 2 hours. They said they are actually going to be checking bearing clearance? Not sure how they can do that without dropping the oil pan but we shall see.

301 - 320 of 326 Posts