Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

281 - 300 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I did look at the new cars. :joyous:

I still love my '15 so I doubt I'll do anything in the next year or so. I have the base '15 and the only thing I wish I had that I don't is the backup camera...
Pretty easy to retrofit a back up camera, so many cheap options. My personal favorite would be a rear view mirror add-on that also has a front dashcam.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Oil Consumption

Here's how Toyota is dealing with pretty much the exact same oil consumption problem some Kia engines are experiencing (let's face it...rings).

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
A little more on the industry wide oil consumption problem. Scotty shows even the beloved Toyota is dealing with the problem. He suggests it's the American made engines with the problem.

·
Registered
840 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem. Subaru has oil issues with one of their engines. The 2.0 turbo in my last A4 can be problematic. Mine was OK, but used a quart every 3,000 miles. The early 2000s honda odessay's went thru transmissions like candy. Even in these times of high quality cars, we don't get perfection.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
This is not an uncommon problem. Subaru has oil issues with one of their engines. The 2.0 turbo in my last A4 can be problematic. Mine was OK, but used a quart every 3,000 miles. The early 2000s honda odessay's went thru transmissions like candy. Even in these times of high quality cars, we don't get perfection.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I agree engage. In some ways it seems like the race to perfection has taken a step backwards. When I was a kid, it was the old clunkers that burnt oil. Now some new cars with 40,000 miles are doing it. Subaru has even added a page to their new car owners manual telling you to expect it.

I've owned most brands of Japanese built cars since the late 70s and none needed oil added between changes. This is new to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
...I've owned most brands of Japanese built cars since the late 70s and none needed oil added between changes. This is new to me.
There is always the 90 weight non detergent oil fix for cars burning too much oil!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
AKA "motor honey"!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Haha Wzlwgn!! I was going to say the same thing.

I remember going to the local discount store and buying that 5 gallon tin-can of Motor Honey and dumping into our Rambler Cross Country Wagon and my sisters Gremlin. Motor honey kept those POS running so I could get through school.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Good info hank! I'm always gobsmacked that Kia remains silent.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah...it's a pretty disconcerting. I can't help but to think about this happening to me when I'm driving around with my 4yo daughter. This most recent story is more alarming because the driver was burned so badly :(

I don't recall how many drivers were burned/injured in the previous news stories or incidents for that matter.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
That is scary to think of that happening Hank. I've read multiple places the GDI high pressure fuel pump that sits right on top of the engine can act as a flame thrower, showering the hot engine with gas.

If the rental car company did any service and didn't follow Kia's policy of never putting the old pump back on, only using a new one because of the seal becoming compromised, they may be complicent.

What a nightmare for this family.

Reactions: dynamo and Hank3

·
Registered
641 Posts
Agreed...nightmare for this family. I'm sad and angry for them...because this could've possibly been avoided depending on if this is the car rental agency's fault or Kia's. And it being a 2019 brings in a new twist.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Exactly. This widens the suspect range to pretty much all GDI Souls.

What surprises me is the number of new Kia's that have GDI engines (eg: Telluride, Stinger etc). They don't seem to be going away.

They may be perfectly safe provided the maintenance is done by the book. There are sure alot of them out there.

Reactions: dynamo

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I agree engage. In some ways it seems like the race to perfection has taken a step backwards. When I was a kid, it was the old clunkers that burnt oil. Now some new cars with 40,000 miles are doing it. Subaru has even added a page to their new car owners manual telling you to expect it.

I've owned most brands of Japanese built cars since the late 70s and none needed oil added between changes. This is new to me.
You can put part of the blame on the mandatory MPG reduction per fleet. Some of the fuel efficiency comes from the engine specs now attainable but that require thinner oil to be able to circulate. That thinner oil gets past seals earlier than the thicker oil would. Then there are the higher pressure systems such as Hyundai/Kia (and others)have.

·
Registered
121 Posts
now this is REALLY hitting close to home: i'm a 2019. and to make this even more grave: the 2019 is not subject to recall in either USA or Canada.

what needs to be done, IMO, is a deep(er) dive into the maintenance of these cars, and the service practices of the dealers. what mileage did this Soul have, was it maintained regularly, and who did the maintenance. and if there isn't a common thread through any of that, then a third-party engineering analysis of the engines of these cars should be done. a software patch/update can only do so much if the hardware is faulty.

trying not to be paranoid here -- after all, google "car fire [insert car brand]" and you're going to find fires for EVERY manufacturer. (i know, i've done it.) but notwithstanding: since we're all Kia owners, i want solid answers from Kia.

·
Registered
641 Posts
A "deeper" dive into the maintenance/service history of these fire Kia vehicles would be very interesting. We have no idea if Kia or some other independent source have embarked on such feat. It seems it would be a herculean effort, but worthwhile to get to the bottom of things.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
A "deeper" dive into the maintenance/service history of these fire Kia vehicles would be very interesting. We have no idea if Kia or some other independent source have embarked on such feat. It seems it would be a herculean effort, but worthwhile to get to the bottom of things.
I agree Hank, it would be great to have access to more information regarding maintenance, engines etc. I read a suggestion that some of the fires happened to seized engines that were rebuilt under warranty, with the high pressure fuel pump reattached inappropriately (a double smack).

I compiled this list from NHTSA about 10 months ago on model year 2014 & posted it earlier in this thread. To my disappointment, the fires seem to occur more often on the 1.6 ltr engine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
@GeoSoul also, curious that that mileage stats weren't available for any of the fires/explosions, except for the one with just 7500 clicks -- that's pretty concerning.

anyone know if the 1.6 T-GDI is different form the regular 1.6 GDI? is it just the addition of turbocharger, or are the engines themselves different, with different tolerances?

281 - 300 of 326 Posts