Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Well that sucks werz. That's ALOT of Kia Souls if they recall all 2010-2015. I'll be curious if it's a specific engine, or all of them. I've heard that this is a "request" to recall, not necessarily what's going to happen.

A quick look at the math, 220 complaints of fire on 2,900,000 cars is .00758% (seven one thousandths of one per cent)

That’s why, in a press release Friday morning, the center called on Hyundai and Kia to recall all Sorento, Optima, Sonata, and Santa Fe models from the 2011 to 2014 model years and all Kia Souls from 2010 through 2015 for fire hazard. That makes nearly 2.9 million vehicles, and the release said between the center and the NHTSA, there have been more than 220 complaints of non-collision fires in these cars—almost one per day for the last four months, with some saying fires started while they were on the highway.

https://www.news965.com/news/national/kia-soul-seeing-alarming-number-car-fires-experts-say/ZwaDgPDahSzWeaPoVqQg6N/

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, but the fact that there's a sudden uptick in fires is certainly concerning. There has to be some common component that is failing. I wouldn't mind a brand new engine replacement if it comes down to that!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
I agree werz, there must be some common thread to these fires. They need to get a handle on this before the brand gets trashed. I still remember the damage Ford suffered from the Pinto. Not to mention the barrage of jokes.

On a side note: Toyota has recalled the Prius for fire danger. The cause is wiring that breaks down over time & shorts. I wonder if something similar is happening with Kia as most affected vehicles are 5 plus years old?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2018/09/05/toyota-recalls-over-a-million-hybrid-vehicles-due-to-fire-risk/

Reactions: fridayfire

·
Registered
148 Posts
Saw this article the other day where the Center for Auto Safety said there had been two dozen Soul specific fires and appear to misrepresent the number sold in the US as less than 600k. Multiple sites that keep up with that kind of thing report 706,XXX sold of the 10 though 15 model years. Looking through NHTSA reports online shows 18 reports of Soul fires.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/kia-soul-seeing-alarming-number-in-car-fires-experts-say/849192856

Although I will certainly agree with the crappy wire insulation comment, I think that if this goes any farther it will eventually lead back to the same reason we've seen engines, mainly in the 14s and 15s, that are seizing: almost a complete lack of oil with no prior warning. The number of fires reported to NHTSA are double or triple in the 14s and 15s, even if that number is only 5 or 6, compared to prior years.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The bean counters will be at work here ASSessing risk vs reward for a course of action.
If you are one of these owners with a family or kids it will be of little consolation if/when someone gets hurt or worse, killed.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
One of the grown-ups at H/K needs to get a hold of this. It needs to be dealt with quickly, publicly, and effectively.

The so-called press loves to ruin companies, they don't care who when where or why. It helps their self-righteous score. Faked/misreported 60 Minutes reports on Audi unintended acceleration almost ruined them in the 90s.

Saw this article the other day where the Center for Auto Safety said there had been two dozen Soul specific fires and appear to misrepresent the number sold in the US as less than 600k. Multiple sites that keep up with that kind of thing report 706,XXX sold of the 10 though 15 model years. Looking through NHTSA reports online shows 18 reports of Soul fires.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/kia-soul-seeing-alarming-number-in-car-fires-experts-say/849192856

Although I will certainly agree with the crappy wire insulation comment, I think that if this goes any farther it will eventually lead back to the same reason we've seen engines, mainly in the 14s and 15s, that are seizing: almost a complete lack of oil with no prior warning. The number of fires reported to NHTSA are double or triple in the 14s and 15s, even if that number is only 5 or 6, compared to prior years.
But those 2.0 and 2.4 fires are Theta mills. Soul has used Beta, Gamma, and Nu.

Then that would be Good.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
310 Posts
It's just Great making Payments $$ :grey: while this goes on...:cold: The complexity of newer cars :fatigue: My old Pinto wagon never worried me :eek:nthego: Just put some reflective tape on the rear bumper :eek:nthego:

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes-Yes-Maybe I'm dead already?:miserable: Also, my '66 Corvair Corsa never listened to Mr. Nader! :eek:nthego: Just added a sway bar :eek:nthego: It's all the electronics and wires that play with our brain(s):eek:nthego:

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Reactions: Grid_Gypsy

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,639 Posts
It's just Great making Payments $$ :grey: while this goes on...:cold: The complexity of newer cars :fatigue: My old Pinto wagon never worried me :eek:nthego: Just put some reflective tape on the rear bumper :eek:nthego:
The odds of your Soul bursting into flames (unless you've been Sinning, of course...then all bets are off...and gamblin' is Sinful!!) are about 40 in five million, not sure but I don't feel like looking up the numbers.
So that's four in 500,000, or one in 125,000. Very approximately.

As Neville Chamberlain said, you can go home and have a good sleep!

1 - 20 of 326 Posts