Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ended up driving it in to the Kia dealer. (Too much controversy over who might pay the ^$100 tow...KOA RSA said their system showed this dealer was a non-covered destination???). What a ride! about 12 miles on 55-65mph highway and a ½ mile or so from the highway to the garage...did surge at steady 65 bouncing about once per second between 2000-25 rpm. Near exit in heavier traffic it got stuck in something resembling high gear and would not downshift until it slowed to 45 then jumped into something like 2nd gear and stayed stuck there at ^4000rpm at 55. Stopped for a red light on the exit, trans disengaged, no forward motion at first while engine revved then it did catch and was able to get the rest of the way to the garage. More to follow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update. Dealer dealt with it, Kia said the trans was bad and is to be replaced...no parts in US, I'm told we're getting the whole transmission from Korea...not sure how long that will take. Kia authorized a loaner, a '20 Sorento (nice car but I like the Souls better).

I called to 800 333-4KIA Customer Service about this early on just looking for info, not to complain. They followed up with me today. My experience with both customer service and the dealer's service department has been exemplary.

More updates to follow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got my 2020 with new trans today. Dealer had it 4 weeks; on the first day there they downloaded the failure codes and based on that Kia authorized a new transmission, and an unlimited mileage rental which was a new (113 miles when picked up) Sportage. All's well after the first evening driving our own car. So here are my thoughts on the experience---1) Kia Customer Service and my dealer treated us very well--I got a new car loaner I could run up miles on for a month and after that a zero miles trans in my car; no arguments attitude blame or other bad words from the dealer and I got several supportive followup calls from Customer Service 2) buy a AAA membership the Kia road service leaves a lot to be desired, (the operator's English was clearly acquired late in life and it was impossible to get him to understand the name of the dealership destination) and I wound up driving the bad tranny car 13 miles to the garage 3) to you guys watching for any sign of failure the onset is kind of sudden, if your car follows the failure path of mine (high hopes you'll get no failure) first you get the surging--watch the tach bounce from 2000-2200 rpm in a 5-second cycle at steady highway speed. When this happens don't let the engine cut out when stopping or you will get no more transmission engagement (when you will then need to either be frustrated with Kia road service or call AAA). My car somewhat recovered after setting a couple days and was kind of driveable. Overall, my take on the whole ordeal is as much amusement as anything and I found no need to get bent-out-of-shape at Kia (like some of you) at all. Maybe I had a better dealer to do this with. 5) I had a loaner with lane holding capability--the nannyish 'coffee break' function I endured a couple hundred miles with that thing coming on every 5 minutes before figuring out how to disable it.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Maybe I had a better dealer to do this with. 5) I had a loaner with lane holding capability--the nannyish 'coffee break' function I endured a couple hundred miles with that thing coming on every 5 minutes before figuring out how to disable it.
That's probably the most important point here, other than a failed transmission. When you buy a $20-30k car that breaks in a month you'd expect a decent treatment, doesn't matter if it's a Kia or a Bentley. I know both dealers in my city don't provide loaners. Once when my car was down for a warranty repair, they chauffeured me a few miles away to a rental place and said you have a $30 daily limit, pick any car you like, so I had to get a base Rio. Other few times when it was a daily repair, I got around in their shuttle.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Got my 2020 with new trans today. Dealer had it 4 weeks; on the first day there they downloaded the failure codes and based on that Kia authorized a new transmission, and an unlimited mileage rental which was a new (113 miles when picked up) Sportage. All's well after the first evening driving our own car. So here are my thoughts on the experience---1) Kia Customer Service and my dealer treated us very well--I got a new car loaner I could run up miles on for a month and after that a zero miles trans in my car; no arguments attitude blame or other bad words from the dealer and I got several supportive followup calls from Customer Service 2) buy a AAA membership the Kia road service leaves a lot to be desired, (the operator's English was clearly acquired late in life and it was impossible to get him to understand the name of the dealership destination) and I wound up driving the bad tranny car 13 miles to the garage 3) to you guys watching for any sign of failure the onset is kind of sudden, if your car follows the failure path of mine (high hopes you'll get no failure) first you get the surging--watch the tach bounce from 2000-2200 rpm in a 5-second cycle at steady highway speed. When this happens don't let the engine cut out when stopping or you will get no more transmission engagement (when you will then need to either be frustrated with Kia road service or call AAA). My car somewhat recovered after setting a couple days and was kind of driveable. Overall, my take on the whole ordeal is as much amusement as anything and I found no need to get bent-out-of-shape at Kia (like some of you) at all. Maybe I had a better dealer to do this with. 5) I had a loaner with lane holding capability--the nannyish 'coffee break' function I endured a couple hundred miles with that thing coming on every 5 minutes before figuring out how to disable it.
Congrats on successfully navigating your failed IVT process. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen again & you have no more issues. Like Xx said, his dealer doesn't provide a loaner & honestly, while your experience was "amusing," it might be quite different for others. They plopped down alot of money for a brand new car with a big defect. I can empathize if they get a little "bent out of shape."

21 - 25 of 25 Posts