Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as this transmission is all new to the Soul and also available in the US and Canadian markets, I thought it best to set it up as a new thread, where people can find out some information about it and discuss it.
I notice that there is quite a lot of strong feelings about this, in my case I have not driven any vehicle that had a CVT transmission, so I can't really comment, but I will keep an open mind and when the time comes will try one out and see how it compares to my current 6-spd auto.

This is a quote from Kia Motors with regards this transmission:

Waiting before developing Kia’s own continuously variable transmission (CVT) allowed engineers to research issues often associated with CVTs and apply their findings in the application used in the Soul. *One of the main criticisms is that they can create a rubber-band-like feel, and in an effort to address this issue, engineers built the IVT with adaptive style shift logic with a chain-type belt instead of push belt, a first in the compact class. This results in smooth and linear acceleration, and for a more enjoyable and sporty driving experience, a step-shift-like feel mimics a conventional automatic at wide-open throttle or when more acceleration is needed.

Noise is another issue CVTs can sometimes face and engineers worked hard to reduce this in the Soul by wrapping the transmission case in a sound-insulating cover to help quiet the typical “drone” associated with this tech from other OEMs. In doing so, NVH levels are also reduced by 5dB.

I have got some screen shots from a video (I find stills a little better to study more closely the detail) which original came from Kia on the Forte and gives a reasonable overview of this new transmission.

Here's the video in question:

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
assembly, belt, insulation, gears

here are some shots showing the complete assembly unit, the design of the chain belt, the insulation around the assembly and the gears in low and high position (clip on the photo for a full screen view)

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think they have gotten a lot better over the years. I drove, in the 1990s, a Saturn with a CVT. It was very loud and it made the car feel like it had a clutch that was on the verge of slipping all the time (can't think of how else to describe it).

Recently, I have driven a few more modern CVT's, the most time behind the wheel of Hondas new CVT. It imitates a conventional automatic very well, and if no-one told me it was a CVT, I wouldn't have thought it was any different than a regular automatic.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
While initially some exciting news, I think this is one technology that needs to be approached with a watch & wait attitude.
Personally, I have been satisfied with the conventional 6 speed transmission in our 2012 2.0 soul.
In the relentless pursuit of both economy and performance yet another technology is born.
Way too soon to weigh in on performance or reliability but given the lackluster D.C.T. I think I'd have to pass on this given the chance in favor of the current 6 speed auto.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The IVT in my 2020 Soul LX has a few features built in that my six speed AT in my 2013 Soul didn't have.
I'm just enjoying the heck out of it!
I use 8th gear (overdrive) when out on long stretches of highway, and I save a lot of $'s, with the greater MPG.

On an easy cruise I'm seeing MPG's in the lower 40's.

Season's Greetings!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
So now, I'm wondering if Kia will stay with the IVT in up-coming models?
(There HAVE been several failures in the IVT. Not on my car.....yet.)

Like this one....

I didn't get any real details, just a picture. But it IS a nice looking car. And, AWD too!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,607 Posts

Like this one....

I didn't get any real details, just a picture. But it IS a nice looking car. And, AWD too!

They will probably stick with the IVT, especially in smaller offerings to meet CAFE mileage targets. You can buy one of these Kia Seltos early next year, but will get the same IVT system.

Interesting is that Hyundai/Kia is making a massive $52billion investment towards electric vehicles & battery plants. Who knows, pretty soon "transmissions" may be a thing of the past.

Strategy 2025 Electrification Plan

·
Registered
484 Posts

Like this one....
View attachment 132925

I suspect they will. In fact, Hyundai/KIA are introducing the IVT into additional models. The few early, low-mileage transmission failures we're hearing about are very likely manufacturing issues that appear to be very sporadic in nature. As more and more Souls and other vehicles with the transmission are in use, we'll learn more and see whether those failures are flukes or a continuing problem. Looking at the number of NTHS complaints regarding the IVT from last year's Forte models, they appear to affect only a tiny fraction of those cars. So, it might well be an anomaly that occurred during a particular run of manufacturing. We won't know, of course, until more cars with the transmission accumulate miles.

I know that I'm not really alarmed by this with regard to my own 2020 Soul LX. I'm aware of it, of course, and will keep an ear on my car's operation, but I don't expect to experience such a failure, somehow. If I had time, I'd research transmission issues with a range of vehicles to see if similar numbers of reports are common for all brands and models. I wouldn't be surprised to find that they were. We certainly hear about problems more than we do about people who have no problems.

Incidentally, the Seltos is one of the vehicles which will use the IVT.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The IVT in my 2020 Soul LX has a few features built in that my six speed AT in my 2013 Soul didn't have.
I'm just enjoying the heck out of it!
I use 8th gear (overdrive) when out on long stretches of highway, and I save a lot of $'s, with the greater MPG.

On an easy cruise I'm seeing MPG's in the lower 40's.

Season's Greetings!
Just Sunday, I had to drive my wife to an emergency dental appointment, which involved a half hour drive on a 70 mph Interstate. So, I moved the shift lever and selected the 8th overdrive ratio. Tach dropped to 2000 RPM, from about 2300. I didn't bother with looking at fuel economy, though. Nice. I'll probably use that on Interstate driving with Cruise control from now on for long stretches on our fairly level roads. In D, 8th speed doesn't get selected, and the 2300 RPM at 70 is typical. I don't know how much it would save, but I love seeing my car just coasting along at low RPMs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi - I have a good old 2016 Soul + but may be interested in a 2020, needing to do a cross country trip in the spring. Had a good test drive yesterday but re this conversation above here are my observations.

1) I was interested in "8th" gear discussion above where I thought you were saying you had to do something 'manually' to get it in "8th" gear. Yesterday, at highway speeds, moving the shift lever to the left seemed to put it in "S"port mode ("S" showed on the dash) and the revs went way up. Then manually upshifting (pushing shifter forward twice I believe) moved it to '7' and then '8' on the dash and the revs came back down to what they were originally... My initial impression is that with this transmission, moving the shifter to the left is a short cut to going into Sport mode, same as pushing the Drive Mode button. But, it will get to that higher "gear" by itself it seemed......

2) 'Sport' mode didn't seem to make any appreciable impact that I could tell, e.g., driving around in a neighborhood or starting off on a busier road... Still seemed pretty sluggish.

3) Concerned about going with this IVT espec for a long trip right off the back - reference some of the links above - number of Forte issues where they have to replace the whole transmission. Yesterday, coasting down a hill, for example, a noticeable buzzing sound happened - I didn't check the revs at that point, unfortunately. Then after the highway drive I repeated that coasting, and didn't hear the sound that time...

Just a little concerned. Thanks for listening! DT

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm curious to see the actual mileage forcing the 8th gear ratio. To me it seems it would override the most efficient ratio already selected by the TCM and the revs are higher than the actual programmed 8th at that particular time for a reason. More data is required to determine what this actually is and why it has the 8th if it doesn't appear to be used.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I'm curious to see the actual mileage forcing the 8th gear ratio. To me it seems it would override the most efficient ratio already selected by the TCM and the revs are higher than the actual programmed 8th at that particular time for a reason. More data is required to determine what this actually is and why it has the 8th if it doesn't appear to be used.
Interesting question Moto. Why would they make virtual gears 7 & 8 manually selectable only?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well, in my own testing, over the course of a 600 mile round trip, I engaged the 8th ratio for about 1/3 of the time spent on an Interstate at the speed limit of 70 mph. I was also using cruise control, along with the manual shifting option, with the shift lever moved to the left. I only engaged the 8th speed on level ground or in downhill stretches on the trip, traveling between St. Paul, MN and Sioux Falls, SD. Over the entire trip, I averaged 36.2 mpg, which was considerably better than KIAs mileage claims and better than I expected.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Interesting question Moto. Why would they make virtual gears 7 & 8 manually selectable only?
Cruise control or manual driving in Drive does select the 7th ratio at highway speeds. I checked that by monitoring tachometer readings and manually shifting. Cruise control or manual driving, however, did not ever select the 8th speed ratio.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Cruise control or manual driving in Drive does select the 7th ratio at highway speeds. I checked that by monitoring tachometer readings and manually shifting. Cruise control or manual driving, however, did not ever select the 8th speed ratio.
Thanks CA. When you engage Cruise Control does a "7" actually display on the dash?

I was curious because there are times I use Cruise on long arterials at just 35 mpg (I know, I'm lazy). With your IVT was wondering if it would select something like a "4" or would it tell you?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts