Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally after 148,000 miles and 2 clutches, my transmission is blown and has a 7in crack starting near the seal to the engine :( It will cost more to fix the car than the car is worth so probably gonna have to junk her.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your Soul.

Have said many times(my wife is tired of me saying this...),
"With most everything,there is a beginning and a end.
What you do in between is what counts."
Saying that,hopefully in those 148k miles,you have had some
darn good memories.

Back to your specific topic,the tranny.
As I am a member of several boards that are car specific,
one area that has a correlation between them all is the M/T vs
the Auto Trans.
For sure,some owners (as they say)like that control a M/T gives.
The A/T guys prefer the no nonsense ease of driving a vehicle
with an auto.
To each his own I say.
But,thats where it stops.
The major difference IS,there are constant posts about M/T problems,mostly due to
replacing clutches and other parts then failure like the OP has mentioned.
You hardly if ever hear ant negatives or repairs from the A/T guys.
A factor with the M/T problems IMO is when you buy a used vehicle. Especially
one that has has 3-4 owners. You do not know how the vehicle was driven or if
a prior owner's teen daughter learned to drive a manual on that vehicle(grind!).
If you are a one owner like the OP may be with those miles,it could be just
wear &tear(could also have a teen daughter or a wife that was not well versed
on a manual too...). Maybe he was pulling a 20ft boat or a huge trailer at times.
Not for me to say.
But,2 clutches in 148k miles seems like a lot to me.
Maybe another indication of how long a Soul lasts vs others in the market.Dunno.

RIP

·
Registered
458 Posts
Ouch! Yeah, I don't anticipate my car to last as long as a bulletproof Corolla or Civic, plan on trading up around the 7-8 year mark before the major warranty is up. Hopefully by then a torquey electric car will be affordable

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Junk-Yard Tranny should get you another 100,000...<:)) (that'll be half price & they will tell you where to get it changed for Half Price to)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well finally after 148,000 miles and 2 clutches, my transmission is blown and has a 7in crack starting near the seal to the engine :( It will cost more to fix the car than the car is worth so probably gonna have to junk her.
lokey,
bummer, but not a bad run... 150 - 200K is about what i'd expect. I'm curious - if at all, how many times did you change the trans fluid? not sure it would have helped any but...literally, simply curious...

Greg

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Trade that car into a Kia dealer and they will find a good used transmission, (which you too could do) and put it in, and then sell the car for a nice profit.

Swapping out a tranny is a piece of cake for a dealer.

Good Luck!
:cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts
You guys are concerning me now... For one I thought the Beta engines were bullet proof as long as you kept oil in them, etc. And only expect 150-200k!? Come on now!!!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
before people get overly concerned over one reporting of a transmission problem (its not the engine) lets present a few facts. The OP's engine is the 2.0L (Beta II) which was a completely new engine in 2012 (Nu), and its still the same engine with a few tweaks still in operation for the 2016 model. Also the transmission was changed in 2012 from a 4 spd auto to 6 speed (manual from 5 spd to 6 spd) so even that is not the same. The 1.6L engine is a Gamma series and is still being used on the current model.

There was reference to the "bullet proof" Corolla and Civic engines, but then again they have been around for decades so the will have many vehicles with high mileages (Soul came out in 2009 worldwide), but you should check out some of the reports on their company Facebook pages, you won't think they are as "bullet proof" as its perceived. The so called "bullet proof" Civic engine for the all new 2016 Civic with the 2.0L is currently on a stop sale in US and Canada due to a serious engine problem.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Knew I could count on conwelpic to provide some specifics on the Soul
running gear. I am a relative new comer on Kia product compared to other cars.

I may have mentioned this before in previous posts.
Bottom line summary: Be cautious of both NEW model vehicles and/or "updates" on
major components such as engines,trannies etc. They may come back to bite you in the butt.
There just seems to be glitches with the new thing. Those hiccups do not appear
until the vehicle is actually on the road under normal driving conditions.
The mechanicals on my 2013 + are great. Engine other than a tick when cold is great.
The A/T,one of the best I have used. Seamless shifts. Electric steering,fantastic for
around the town driving.
Of course,the 2013 Soul was the last of gen1.
Kia should have got it right.
They did.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Knew I could count on conwelpic to provide some specifics on the Soul
running gear. I am a relative new comer on Kia product compared to other cars.
.....that's why they pay me the big bucks! :sneakiness:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had only changed the fluid when I swapped clutches, The first time was at 89k and the second was at 132k but I will say, I ran the 2nd clutch pretty hard. So I can't really say the tranny broke because of normal running conditions. I had also taught 4 friends how to drive standard in it, so there was a few clutch drops and grinds on it as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am sorry to hear about your Soul.

Have said many times(my wife is tired of me saying this...),
"With most everything,there is a beginning and a end.
What you do in between is what counts."
Saying that,hopefully in those 148k miles,you have had some
darn good memories.

Back to your specific topic,the tranny.
As I am a member of several boards that are car specific,
one area that has a correlation between them all is the M/T vs
the Auto Trans.
For sure,some owners (as they say)like that control a M/T gives.
The A/T guys prefer the no nonsense ease of driving a vehicle
with an auto.
To each his own I say.
But,thats where it stops.
The major difference IS,there are constant posts about M/T problems,mostly due to
replacing clutches and other parts then failure like the OP has mentioned.
You hardly if ever hear ant negatives or repairs from the A/T guys.
A factor with the M/T problems IMO is when you buy a used vehicle. Especially
one that has has 3-4 owners. You do not know how the vehicle was driven or if
a prior owner's teen daughter learned to drive a manual on that vehicle(grind!).
If you are a one owner like the OP may be with those miles,it could be just
wear &tear(could also have a teen daughter or a wife that was not well versed
on a manual too...). Maybe he was pulling a 20ft boat or a huge trailer at times.
Not for me to say.
But,2 clutches in 148k miles seems like a lot to me.
Maybe another indication of how long a Soul lasts vs others in the market.Dunno.

RIP
I had learned to drive in an old 91 Toyota Pickup that was stick, and once I figured I had it all down I had bought a M/T simply because it was what I learned to drive in. No other real reason. One thing that I did like though is that the M/T could go 0-60 faster than the A/T. I knew the Soul wasn't a performance car but out of my group of friends it was the fastest. I'm not gonna give the tranny any crap. It did great. I have no hard feelings towards it breaking just a little sad to see it sit for a few months since ill be away at basic training.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Teached 4 friends to drive stick in it!? Yep that probably did it in... I'm still on a stock clutch @ 79k (bought the car @ 74k) and changed the fluid recently too but to NON oem junk used Redline!! And yeah I get on the car a bit here and there but no clutch drops, etc. There is nothing wrong with getting on it once its in gear and warmed up, etc. its just abuse that will take a toll especially on a car like this that isn't exactly over built like other cars! But then again I'm not paying 2-3x as much for a 15% better car! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts