Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a '14 Base MT with 92k on the odo. I live in the Valley of the Sunburn, AZ, and I'm getting sick and tired of the A/C dropping out under acceleration. It's literally 110*F outside, and 130-140*F INSIDE my car when I get in it after work. I don't care if I'm down a bit on power when the A/C is on. There's already a handful of power-robbing "features" on this econo-bucket. Does anyone know how to shut off the "feature" where the A/C shuts off during acceleration? Please help. My mind is melting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to me as if the A/C kicks off "momentarily" under hard acceleration. In PHX city traffic, or getting onto the freeway (65mph posted speed limit, average non-stop-and-go traffic speeds are closer to 70+) I pretty much ALWAYS have to accelerate hard to get into traffic with the wheezy little 1.6l and the weird MT "power reduction" going into second gear. It has been this way since I bought the car new in January of '14. I'm getting older and less tolerant of this little quirk. If there's a way to disable it, I'm all in. "Cooler heads..." and all that jazz.

·
Super Moderator
9,520 Posts
I have both a `1.6 and a 2.0. I know the power difference between the two. However, hard it is to get the 1.6 into the 70 MPH traffic on the interstate, the AC has not shut off during one of those romps. Of course we don't have the AZ temps here either. The 2.0 just takes it in stride and is still going strong at 70. I am going to dig into the manual and see what it says about this.

There are threads that cover that quirk or hesitation on the power shift from first to second on the MT, you should read them because they tell you how to get rid of this "feature". If you need some help with that let me know and I can dig around for a lead there. It is an often covered topic here.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,126 Posts
I've got a 14 manual trans & my AC has never done that.

You've obviously used your AC alot. Have you ever thought about taking it in for service?

There isn't any "feature" to turn on or off for the problem you describe. Maybe time for a coolant recharge?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The thing is, it blows just fine when "cruising", but under full throttle acceleration, it stops blowing cold. Back to part-throttle condition, the A/C blows cold again. Also, been this way since it was new. With full re-circulate, the air will blow out around 40*F, once the cabin is reasonably cooled off. So the A/C works "normally", except for under full throttle conditions running through the lower gears. It might be the same in higher gears, but I'm never at full throttle in higher gears. IDK. Maybe the long-term exposure to heat has me and anyone that's been in my car mass-hallucinating. Stranger things have happened. I just figured it was a quirk of the car to save wear and tear on the compressor or it's clutch and was hoping for a simple solution, much like the "factory CC" addition to the base model I learned about here.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have not experienced that here in Florida with our 2104 Soul. Though we don't have over 100 degrees normally, we do have 97 and very humid. HOWEVER, I did experience what you are saying in our old Nissan Altima. The fix was to be sure it was circulating air rather drawing in air and then under acceleration it continued to blow cold air.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
666 Posts
I have not experienced that (don't run A/C often). But I think it may do that in ECO mode. Though my one personal experience was the opposite: with a not quite warmed up engine, ECO, A/C running hard, and heavy load (accelerating uphill on a ramp that went from street level to overpass level), I think it kept the A/C and stopped accelerating. I thought the engine was quitting.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,703 Posts
I've read that many cars have a compressor cutout that functions at full throttle. I've never noticed mine cutting out at WFO, and I do put my foot in it from time to time.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul RedZone
189 Posts
Suspect a vacuum leak.
Causing the heater core to open
offsetting the cooling of the ac.

I had an older car with this 'feature'.
Not when it was new,
Developed as vehicle aged.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
F.W.I.W...My 1987 300zx does this and I attribute it to a vacuum leak.
That car is laden with vacuum lines and complexity abounds in the heating/cooling system.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I don't remember the last time I needed a full throttle. Is traffic that bad in Arizona that you need to floor it to merge on the hwy? The motor is weak as it is, obviously it will cut off some amenities for efficiency. Otherwise, it'll take you 20 seconds to reach 60 mph.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,126 Posts
Carlsotti, if you are driving with recirc on for any length of time, you will lose cooling (true in ALL cars). Fresh incoming air flowing (blowing) over the condenser is required for the system to work effectively. In essence you begin to recirc the increasing warm air from inside the cabin.

On the highway be sue to keep max recirc OFF, except for those brief times a stinky diesel truck is in front of you :)

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,703 Posts
I don't remember the last time I needed a full throttle. Is traffic that bad in Arizona that you need to floor it to merge on the hwy? The motor is weak as it is, obviously it will cut off some amenities for efficiency. Otherwise, it'll take you 20 seconds to reach 60 mph.
Full throttle is good for the car. Zip to six is under 10 from what I've read.

It's not slow.

It's slow if you're a car mag writer and the entire staff drives Bimmers and you think that 5 seconds to sixty is mediocre.

·
Banned
775 Posts
I've read that many cars have a compressor cutout that functions at full throttle. I've never noticed mine cutting out at WFO, and I do put my foot in it from time to time.
This. Most cars turn the A/C compressor off during hard acceleration. Just google it and you'll see every forum out there with the same question. https://www.google.com/search?sourc...35i39j0i67j0i131j0j0i22i30j33i299.l1ojMrXQGEw

Sadly, some cars require more Full Throttle than others, so the A/C shuts off longer. Also, blame xxHaimbondxx for dragging everyone in here. Finally, best thing you can do to help cool the interior is a nice tint job. I put tint all over my vehicle, even the windshield, and it keeps the inside much cooler while the sun is beating down on it.

·
Banned
775 Posts
Is it because you drive like an old woman? Although, I spent a week in New York and I don't think anyone drove over 40 MPH in that god forsaken congested area. We have wide open spaces here, accelerating on a 20 foot merge lane while trying to make sure you don't get run over by cars going 80 MPH, your foot needs to be buried into the accelerator. Although, I still think you probably drive like a woman. :p

·
Registered
389 Posts
With 94k, what kind of maintenance has you given to it?

Have you changed your cabin air filter too?

If that's a yes, then a trip to check/refill your A/C is highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Is it because you drive like an old woman? Although, I spent a week in New York and I don't think anyone drove over 40 MPH in that god forsaken congested area. We have wide open spaces here, accelerating on a 20 foot merge lane while trying to make sure you don't get run over by cars going 80 MPH, your foot needs to be buried into the accelerator. Although, I still think you probably drive like a woman. :p
You are probably confusing New York City with the New York State, which is understandable knowing you are a product of Texas public school education. Here in upstate NY we have open roads and very little traffic, unless confused out-of-towners like you get in the way. Even then we courteously move over to the left lane to help you merge, so you wouldn't need to murder your little soul.

·
Banned
775 Posts
You are probably confusing New York City with the New York State, which is understandable knowing you are a product of Texas public school education. Here in upstate NY we have open roads and very little traffic, unless confused out-of-towners like you get in the way. Even then we courteously move over to the left lane to help you merge, so you wouldn't need to murder your little soul.

Believe it or not, but my life doesn't revolve around knowing the traffic patterns in New York vs New York City. My point is (if you can stow away your New Yorker arrogance for a bit) that New York speed limits are probably a good 20-25 MPH SLOWER (probably due to slower reaction times and what not) than the rest of the country. Having to accelerate to 55 MPH is a little different than having to accelerate to 75-80 MPH.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.