Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been awhile since I've been here. Life just got moving and I had to try and keep up. Hard to explain. Anyway, when I first came here I had a 2011 Black Kia Soul. I was talked into trading that in for a 2013 Silver Kia Soul. I love that little car. Mid-size and it still has lots of room for my large frame. It's got lots of umppphhhh most of the time when I need it. Sometimes it starts going great and then it stutters and seems like it's gonna stall out and die and always when traffic is coming and I need to move move move. I must confess, I've gotten flipped off a few times for it. It sucks but there it is.

Recently I realized that in a few short months it will finally be paid off and that little car will no longer belong to GM Financial and will belong to me instead. I'm pretty thrilled about that. So, what I was thinking about doing was continuing my monthly payments only putting it into a separate account. After about 6 months of that I can be nice to my car in ways I haven't been able to before. So, I did a bit of research and a couple of websites mentioned a few things to think about when a Kia Soul gets to almost 90,000 miles. First, you know, the whole maintenance thing perhaps even switching to full synthetic. Maybe some newer better shocks. Four matching tires (what do you think whitewalls out? lol). New Serpentine belt. New water pump (very, very pricey but, probably worth it in the long run). Roof rack??? Maybe yes, maybe no. Get the outside spruced up cosmetically. Add the Splash Guards. I'd like to revamp the cargo tray. I don't like the interior of the stock OEM tray. I saw a photo of one that just had three main compartments and I think I'd like that one better.

Then again, maybe some of that is not necessary. Or maybe I'll see some different ideas that get bounced around here about stuff like that. That's why I'm here. To learn from all of you who have already done some of this stuff. I do have one question and I must admit that I have thought of this often. Is there any sort of firmware update/upgrade to the 2013 Kia Soul that has come out since it was created? And if so, please tell me they added whatever API or coding is necessary to allow for the radio to be able to read the track, artist, and length of the song playing on it.

Well, if you've gotten this far I thank you very much. I hope to learn much from all of you.

P.S.
I don't have any cool taglines yet.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Welcome back. I would begin with the cleaning up of anything that needed it and forget about modding it yet especially if money is going to be tight. You know get it detailed, fix the tire situation, make sure yuou have nice and matching hub caps or wheels, whatever. A bright shiny exterior makes a lot of difference to both your esteem and others opinion of you. Then move to the interior and get it back into line if it needs it. Do what you need to do first, then move onto the things you want to do.

Best of all, make a plan of things you need to do and stick to it

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Welcome back!! Lot's of tips and ideas here in the various forums.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
786 Posts
Welcome back. I would suggest running some Techron thru it and changing out the PCV valve, if you have not already done it. Both are easy and cheap. Which model do you have and what engine is in it? Filling out the "Drives" would help in getting answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts