Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Was headed to school when the idiot in front of me started to turn onto an intersecting road and then changed their mind and tried to get back in front of me. I had to stop to let them back in front of me BC the two of us were wedged in the road forming an upside down V. The truck behind me couldn't stop in time and plowed right into me. Scared the living crap out of me. I've never been hit before so it was freaking terrifying. Meanwhile, once the car in front of me saw I was hit he figured that was his cue to go and took off. No frontal damage, so I figured it was okay to continue to school. It looks to be purely cosmetic, but regardless, I don't wanna take it on the highway to work tomorrow (35min commute) unless I absolutely have to. I'm trying to see if I can get a rental and get my car in the shop today, since both I and the guy who hit me have state farm. :(Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
That blows. Low IQ people shouldn't be allowed to drive. I had a dumbass just yesterday try to force his way into the lane I was in... he quickly figured out he wasn't getting in.

From the looks of it going off your photo, it looks like it's just the bumper... plug N play.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^ i'll update the post with bigger pics, i made this thread from my phone. But i thought about just blocking him out and i started too, but didn't and stopped to let him. The way he had been driving prior to that (invented his on turning lane and cut in front of me) i figured he was the no insurance type. So, i stopped and let him back in rather than fighting w/him and maybe getting hit. Unfortunately when i did, I got plowed by something bigger.

But i just got a phone call from State Farm. The decent human being that rear ended me backed up my story 100%. So, i'll be taking my Soul to the shop after this class. I'll be calling Enterprise to pick me up from the shop, and i'll have a rental (hopefully another Soul) by this evening. So happy that everything worked out.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Glad you weren't injured, sorry for the damage. Get well soon little fellah (your car).

I'd also be asking about diminished value because when you go to sell or trade your car it's gonna show it was in an accident, making it worth less (no matter how great they fix it).

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
did you get some scuffs on your rear passenger door?

Oh and LOL at the Ford. Not much of a bumper on pickups these days, but I suppose it's for safety compliance.
I know that some of you have heard this before: Fall/Winter morning, dark, drizzle, I-65 north bound, my son was going to school in the base A/T. A Ford Fiesta lost control in the left hand lane, my son was in the right hand lane getting ready to exit to I-264. The Fiesta careemed into the retaining barrier after having turned around several times and slammed into the right side of my base, bouncing off the car and the barrier back into traffic. He was doing 60+, as was my son. Seconds after the collision, the F-150 behind my son slammed into his now stopped base at 55 MPH. The Fiesta then proceeded to skid into the F-150, then into a second F-150 behind that one, then into a E-150, and finally into a Ford Explorer before coming to a stop. The second F-150 plowed into the first F-15, the E-150 into the second F-150 and the Explorer into the E-150. Five cars. My son's license plate was a rolled up mess embedded in the grill of the F-150. We pried it out and I flattened it with a hammer.

The police writing up the reports stated that he believe based on experience that the Soul was the only car that would be repaired. He was right, every Ford was totaled, only the Soul was repaired and is back on the road. There was no damage to the passenger cage and there were no injuries serious enough for an ambulance. I thought it was amazing since the Soul did not look like it had been in a 55 MPH collision. I don't know what they make F-150s out of today, but they sustained a lot of damage. In fact, my base soul was the only car that drove away from the accident.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So sorry your "baby" got hurt. AND glad YOU are OK. I know how you can get shook up when an accident happens...a whole mix of emotions. Be glad your airbags didn't deploy. I was the unlucky guy at a wrong time wrong place several years ago, when a car careened through the intersection when he was hit from behind pushing him into the oncoming car that was in front of me and her car got shoved into mine. It just tapped my bumper. It was like my car hiccuped and BAM both front airbags opened and both forearms were burnt from the steering wheel airbag. The impact hit the nerves and I couldn't move my left arm. I was in shock, (not clinically), and most of all angry from what some silly kid did to THREE cars. The paramedic checked me out and said my symptoms were common...so what how you hold your steering wheel!

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Glad to hear that you're ok. No whiplash? I got rear-ended in a Volvo years ago by a teensy little Renault 5. The front end of that was demolished, but I got whiplash and ended up needing physiotherapy........on the other guy's insurance :p

The damage doesn't appear TOO bad, but you need to know what's going on behind the right side of the bumper. It could have bent some of the crumple zone.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
So glad your OK and hopefully your Soul isn't hurt too bad! Best of luck! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you guys!!!!! I feel fine, but even if I were hurt...unless it were something VERY SERIOUS, I wouldn't know because I'm ALWAYS sore and aching. life of a powerlifter, I guess lol.

but, the state farm claims dept called the guy, and I was beyond relieved to know that he backed up my story 100%. once he accepted liability, it was smooth sailing from there.

I decided to go with Mike Calvert Toyota to get my Soul fixed. it was on State Farm's list of selected shops, and I did some quick clicking and the reviews were decent enough (3.8/5). I drove my Soul over after class, intending to drop it off, but the estimator gave it a once over and said it was okay to drive. he said to bring it back Monday morning, and they'd get started. okay, fine. i wasn't happy with it, it had been driving fine throughout the city so far, save the noticeably louder exhaust area (it sounded as if I had an aftermarket exhaust or something on it. sounded kinda cool actually lol). but I took his word and left. as SOON I started to merge onto 610, and hit 50mph it got way, way too loud for my comfort. I got back on the feeder, u-turned, and went right back. they were shocked to see me back, but after I explained and the estimator gave it a much closer look, he noticed there was metal pushing against the exhaust pipe. he said it was still drivable, but due to the noise it was making, he'd understand if I wanted to leave it now.

I signed paperwork and they arranged for enterprise to pick me up. I probably won't have an actual estimate and time frame until they tear it apart, but he did say I'd need the entire bumper piece replaced, the hatch door, AND the interior where the cargo area is. all of that was bent as well. I'll try to see if I can get some more pics of the damage when I go to get my entire wardrobe out the back of my Soul. May need 2 trash bags lol...

anyway, enterprise put me in a 2013 Chevy cruse. i was skeptical of a Chevy at first, but it's actually quite nice. plenty of bells and whistles and they have an iPod hookup similar to the soul (a MUST for me). regardless, I'm not a fan of cars. I do not like the feeling of sitting so low, especially after just being rear ended. I'm going to see if I can switch to a soul or atleast a bigger vehicle in my class (intermediate, according to state farm).

sorry for the thesis! but just wanted to give you guys an update and a run through of the what's happened.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Sounds like your being well taken care of, hope you get a Soul rental. I had a Toyota Corolla last time mine was in the body shop..... HATED it! :-(

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
A word of advice (well several).......based on what you're saying.

Tell them specifically to check the exhaust system fully. When my Volvo got rear-ended the repairers missed something. A few months after repair I got an exhaust blow. I slid under the car and found the rear muffler had cracked all around the weld where the pipe enters the muffler. Seems the tailpipe got hit end on and rammed the muffler towards the front. The front end cap of the muffler was visibly distorted.

So I ended up paying for a back half exhaust that the other guy's insurance should have covered, had they looked properly.

Based on the photos, it's quite possible your Soul's exhaust took a hit.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Subject matter withstanding (hate to see people get in accidents), this is one of the best threads on the forum in quite a while. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Nothing like a good accident to get us all in a positive mood:)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Drove over to Mike Calvert after work to clean out my Soul and drop off the keys. Took a few more close up pics...

@dmwagner no, my rear passenger door isn't scratched up...that's dirt lol.

@MT-ED nope! no whiplash, i made sure my headrests were set correctly for optimum effectiveness. SOmeone posted a guide on here, maybe a year ago? that i found very, very informative. i made sure to set my headrests correctly. i guess they worked like a charm because there was no neck train after the impact, and today, my only soreness is my legs (i had a heavy squat day lol).
@Shaggy Weirdo he was rear ended at 55mph by an f-150 and the vehicle wasn't totaled?? yeesh, i can;t imagine being rear ended by a vehicle going that speed. the truck that hit me was only going about 25-30mph and THAT felt as if i got hit by a MACK truck lol.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The car had all the damage that you have and then some. The rear light panels could not be salvaged and one rear quarter skin was replace along with a rear door. As for the speed, luckily my son did not have time to put the car in park, put on the parking brake and try to get out. He sat in the car and rode it out. In this case, that was probably the safest thing he could have done. The car got pushed up the road, so that took a lot of the force of the impact away from the car. But the important thing was though the car was hit twice, the passenger cage was undamaged. There was zero damage to any of the interior and it was all reused except where you see the damage around the hatch.

It did spend ten weeks in the car hospital though:)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
10 weeks? Lord, don't tell me that. I don't know if i'd make it that long. But i wasn't on a highway or a freeway when i got hit, i was on a street. The speed limit was 45mph, but we were going a bit less than that due to all the metro rail construction.

Something else i forgot to mention guys. When i hit the remote to LOCK my Soul, it locks, but doesn't light up. Also, if i press the LOCK button twice, the horn won't blow anymore. Strangely enough, if i hit the remote to UNLOCK my Soul, the lights do flash. Obviously, this is related to the accident, but does anyone know specifically HOW? I just find it weird that the lights flash to UNLOCK, but not to LOCK. :confused:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Looks like your back latch is pretty messed up. The lights not flashing is the same thing that happens when you try to lock the car with a door open. I suspect that your back latch is not signalling that the door is shut back there.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
of course. I feel like a freaking idiot. now that I think about it, you are absolutely right. for the little time I drove it post-accident, my "hatch open" light was on. even though my hatch was "shut", it's so banged up that my soul thinks it's open. thanks for the hit on the head, dmwagner. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts