Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Before I got my 2020 Soul, I had a 2013 Soul, and before that I had a 2009 Suzuki SX4 (AWD/FWD) and they all had one thing in common....that danged Anti-Skid device/feature would get me stuck faster than anything. It's absolutely terrible, when I'm driving in loose sand. Right when I'd need traction the most, it would go away. After I'd STOP, and turn off the Anti-Skid thingy, I could get going again. It's absolutely INSANE, that something that's supposed to be so helpful, could be so detrimental.

So now that I have ISG under control, my next step is to permanently shut off the Anti-Skid control.
I really hate it, when I pull out onto the highway and I need MAX acceleration ASAP, and the dang front tires spin and the ASC kicks in and starts playing with the motor, IVT and brakes.

Arggg! It's a battle I'll eventually win, but it scares the heck out of me, when I've got a HUGE Simi bearing down on me, at 60+ mph., and I need to get out of its way, FAST!

That's just one more button that I don't want to have to push every time I get in my car.

Season's Greeting Everyone!

:cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
my next step is to permanently shut off the Anti-Skid control.
I really hate it, when I pull out onto the highway and I need MAX acceleration ASAP, and the dang front tires spin and the ASC kicks in and starts playing with the motor, IVT and brakes.
OH, maybe that's what's happening to me. I thought it was the icy road but really there hasn't been much ice and yes same thing when pulling onto highway, all sorts of spinning and motor revving etc etc. Didn't realize there was a button for this. I'm thinking it's that one right next to the other one.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Those buttons are different in different trim levels, but it's marked. On my LX, it's the one on the extreme right, in that button cluster.

There is NO WAY in heaven or heck that I could ever drive in snow or ice with that danged Anti Skid Control kicking in every few seconds. That would be a total nightmare!!!!

Season's Greetings,

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Those buttons are different in different trim levels, but it's marked. On my LX, it's the one on the extreme right, in that button cluster.

There is NO WAY in heaven or heck that I could ever drive in snow or ice with that danged Anti Skid Control kicking in every few seconds. That would be a total nightmare!!!!

Season's Greetings,
I tend to leave that feature on, and drive in a way that keep it from activating. It's sort of a reminder for me to drive gently on the snow and ice. I do turn it of in very difficult conditions, though. I hate how it sounds when it kicks in, so I drive even more carefully. Maybe that's a good thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't like it either, and it really ticked me off when I asked my dealer about it, and got a resounding "NO, you can't disable that feature". This old Geezer don't like to take "NO!" for an answer.
(I'm only 76, so I don't know if I really qualify as an Old Geezer, yet)

A shorting wire across the back of that switch would permanently disable the ISG. But it may also disable the warranty, so, to KISS (Keep It Simple Sam) I just pushed the button IN and then jammed a little piece of card stock in along side the switch to hold it in.
That worked! (y) NO MORE ISG!

And, when I take my car in to the dealer, like I did recently, for my first Oil Change,* I can pull out the little piece of card stock, and they are never the wiser.
As soon as I pull out of the dealership, the card stock goes back in, along side the ISG switch.

* Bless them, they even installed a Magnetic Drain Plug, which I supplied to them.

If something so simple, can keep Momma happy....why not?

I do love the bigger battery. I have a project in mind, where that will come in handy. More on that, another day.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:
After a year I can't stand the ISG I am using a trimmed business cart to hold the button in it. works great.

Thank You

·
Registered
19 Posts
The ISG works OK, but I don't like it, on general terms. I don't really need the engine to shut off at traffic lights all that much. It doesn't save all that much fuel and adds to starter wear and stress on the battery. I realized that I can tap the button every time I start my 2020 Soul LX, but I will forget, and so will my wife, who also doesn't like it. There should be a way to change the default setting on this feature. That's my only complaint, and it's a minor one. I'll get used to tapping that button every time I start the car, but don't think I should have to.

Maybe I just haven't found the place where I can change the default. No big deal at all, and I'm loving the Gen 3 Soul a lot. We just picked it up two days ago, to replace our 2013 Base Soul.

BTW, I like the ITV so far. KIA did a great job with it. I notice it in operation, but it's not obtrusive at all. My wife can't see the difference at all.

Great new Soul!
You took the exact words right out of my mouth!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree that not being able to permanently turn this feature off is ridiculous. If it saves $5 in gas a year, I'd be surprised. I'm a mechanic. Anyone who thinks the starter working thousands of time--over it's life--isn't wearing things out is crazy. Thanks for the card idea, but this has got to be temporary at best. Someone needs to pull the switch out of the dash and see if it's possible to just jumper it behind. Has anyone done this? I assume the switch just snaps in the dash? What's on the manual model? Maybe we can order whatever they use for it?
That's a good question about what they are using or not using in the manual.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Duh! Disabling the ISG feature costs NOTHING. NO "Parts" required. All you have to do is push the disable button IN and then jam it. Once it's pressed IN and jammed, the objectionable feature is DISABLED. Job done. I used a little piece of card stock,,,,another guy reported using a tooth pick.
Just remember to remove the "Jammer" when you take your car into the KIA dealer.....Lest they see that as a reason to VOID your warranty or some such. Just a thought.

Happy Thanksgiving,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
17 Posts
I like the button disable. But I think it is dangerous having to disable it on start up all the time. I simply forget and I don't like the 'Jammer'. But a friend has a 2020 Outback and he has to go through the computer to disable his. But he says his lag is short and not to bad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a fan of stuff jamming switches. It looks tacky. I'll just keep pushing the button, unless I find that I get used to it. That might happen, although I suspect it would cause a slight delay at taking off at traffic lights. Maybe not, though.
Ive been using a toothpick for almost two years now on our Hyundai. Same, original one. I broke it off flush with the edge of the switch. It's really not even noticeable, while seated inside the vehicle.

It's so nice not having to deal with that start-stop thing anymore. Our Kia has the same toothpick for about one year now.

·
Registered
831 Posts
There must be a way to change the default behavior thru the ECU. I purchased a 2017 Audi A6 last month. Its Autos Start/Stop works the same as the Soul - when you start the car the feature is always enabled and one has to hit the button to turn it off. My son bought my A8 from me and purchased a Ross-tech VCDS cable for it. It works on all Audis/VWs so I borrowed it from him and was able to go into the ECU and change the feature to remember the the last state it was in. I did this and it worked - so I turn it off and it stays off, but if I want it on, like when in line for gas at Costco, I can hit the button and enable it again. Best of both worlds.

I'd bet the equivalent exists in the Kia world. I know there is at least one Kia tech on this forum - perhaps you could chime in!

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
60 Posts
That's a good question about what they are using or not using in the manual.
On my lx with a manual tranny there is no button and no ISG. I guess it was a “feature” they decontented from the manual lx’s. As far as the traction control, i have not caught it messing with the throttle input. Although i am not sure i have got it to engage. The only time i have has a wheel spin it was the reont right while making a right turn. I am not sure if the computer applied the right brake or I adjusted my throttle position/ cluth position to remedy the situation. Spinning tires are not capable of applying the same force to the pavement as non spinning tires (all other things being equal). Thus i prefer to accelerate at a rate just a smidge below tire spinning when i need to get up to speed quickly. I also try to avoid situations that require max acceleration, because you never know when you may hit some loose gravel or slick patch of pavement. Back to the isg discussion, has anyone tried just unplugging the isg switch, maybe it is like the cruise control on the manual lx’s no switch= no “ feature”

·
Registered
19 Posts
On my lx with a manual tranny there is no button and no ISG. I guess it was a “feature” they decontented from the manual lx’s. As far as the traction control, i have not caught it messing with the throttle input. Although i am not sure i have got it to engage. The only time i have has a wheel spin it was the reont right while making a right turn. I am not sure if the computer applied the right brake or I adjusted my throttle position/ cluth position to remedy the situation. Spinning tires are not capable of applying the same force to the pavement as non spinning tires (all other things being equal). Thus i prefer to accelerate at a rate just a smidge below tire spinning when i need to get up to speed quickly. I also try to avoid situations that require max acceleration, because you never know when you may hit some loose gravel or slick patch of pavement. Back to the isg discussion, has anyone tried just unplugging the isg switch, maybe it is like the cruise control on the manual lx’s no switch= no “ feature”
There is a very disrespectful and prejudice man here name FLHamster. He knows it all and is most likely getting his rocks off now that he has read your post. He has the only answer to the ISG. We have all been JAMMED!! Case Closed!! Eh?

·
Registered
831 Posts
On my lx with a manual tranny there is no button and no ISG...
Hey RaymanSean,

I'm not sure ISG makes sense with a manual. Some people leave the car in gear with the clutch in, some put the stick in neutral and let the clutch out. It would be more involved with a manual. Maybe other 2020 manual owners could chime in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey RaymanSean,

I'm not sure ISG makes sense with a manual. Some people leave the car in gear with the clutch in, some put the stick in neutral and let the clutch out. It would be more involved with a manual. Maybe other 2020 manual owners could chime in.
Understood!! US Navy Seabee EO 1979 - 1984

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
60 Posts
Hey RaymanSean,

I did a fair amount of reading on ISG and manual transmissons in my pre purchase research. This thread let me know that it could be disabled if i found problematic. However, based on my research it sounded like most implementations for manual looked at the brake pedal position. The more i drive my decontented lx with manual, the more I appreciate that i am in control of my car. No nannies. It is as if KIA acknowledged most manual drivers want to be in control and will customize their cars as they see fit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The ISG works OK, but I don't like it, on general terms. I don't really need the engine to shut off at traffic lights all that much. It doesn't save all that much fuel and adds to starter wear and stress on the battery. I realized that I can tap the button every time I start my 2020 Soul LX, but I will forget, and so will my wife, who also doesn't like it. There should be a way to change the default setting on this feature. That's my only complaint, and it's a minor one. I'll get used to tapping that button every time I start the car, but don't think I should have to.

Maybe I just haven't found the place where I can change the default. No big deal at all, and I'm loving the Gen 3 Soul a lot. We just picked it up two days ago, to replace our 2013 Base Soul.

BTW, I like the ITV so far. KIA did a great job with it. I notice it in operation, but it's not obtrusive at all. My wife can't see the difference at all.

Great new Soul!
I agree on starter wear. And stopping a hot engine and having the oil that hydrodynamically supports the crankshaft can settle to the sides causes additional wear. To prevent wear polymers are applied to the bearings the prevent wear when the crank is only partially supported by the oil. I disable my ISG feature each time I use my car and am about 95% successful at first starting. I read somewhere it takes 64 times to make something a habit you won't forget so I should be getting near that. My previous vehicle was a GT Mustang and it was important to disable traction control whenever not in snow or the solid rear axle could spin the car out on turns due to the V8's high torque -302 lb-ft. So I got used to it. For more on polymers and ISG impacts, check this article:

61 - 80 of 80 Posts