Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, I have seen the conditions and even when they are not present it happens. When it does work though, I can control it by how hard I push on the brake. I can stop without activating it for a stop sign or quick light and activate it for other situations.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I, too, have found it distracting. And, more often than not, I'll push the button to disable it. But, I think what makes it more distracting to me is that it doesn't stay off long enough when at a long wait at a traffic light. When running the A/C here, it will kick in sitting still within just a minute or so. And, I understand it's due to draining the battery. It won't kick in so prematurely if I'm not using the A/C.

And, like others have stated, I'm really loving the new Soul.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, I have seen the conditions and even when they are not present it happens. When it does work though, I can control it by how hard I push on the brake. I can stop without activating it for a stop sign or quick light and activate it for other situations.
I got a quote from a different insurance company that saved me some bucks over the original company I was using. But, this new company, in order to get an additional discount I had to agree to use a Snapshot device that plugs into the Diagnostic Connection under the dash. The first day or two, I heard that thing beep at a couple of stops I made. And, the first couple of stops were at a light that had turned yellow. To avoid running the red light, I did a "hard brake" stop that caused that thing to beep. This device, for those not familiar, will keep track of hard brake stops as well as some other data. They actually dock you if you drive between midnight and 4 a.m.!!!

But, with the manual shifting on this Soul, I simply gear down now and hardly push the brake to stop. Fortunately, I only have to use this thing for the first six months of the policy...if that long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe there is something that I am missing, I am not going to worry about it. If it will stay off I will be happy because I am getting great gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
In the title of this thread, the OP said, "I wish they'd change that".
I asked the top guy at my KIA dealership if that feature could be shut off permanently and he said a resounding "NO!".

Well, such a response to someone with my Electro/Mechanical Engineering background is like waving a red flag in the face of a raging bull. The Game is ON!

I figured that if pushing a button could disable the feature, what if the button just stayed pushed? Preliminary tests showed that by keeping the button depressed (permanently) the feature would be turned OFF permanently.
So I cut a small piece of heavy card stock (about .5" square) and jammed it in along side of the switch to hold it in.
That worked! Day after day, the ISG remains OFF.
I just have to remember to pull out the little piece of card stock when I take my car in to the dealer for service.
No big deal! Job done, and problem solved.

I don't like just having to deal with a problem, without trying to fix it. I didn't like the arm rests in my 2020 Soul LX, so instead of complaining about it, I just made my own, that sit on top of the OEM arm rests and remain there by the use of strips of two sided tape. Now I can drive down the highway, with both hands on the steering wheel and both elbows on nice soft, comfy, arm rests. That prevents stress in my arms and shoulders.... something I've suffered from in the past. I did something very similar on my 2013 Soul.

Cheers Mates! Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
40 Posts
In the title of this thread, the OP said, "I wish they'd change that".
I asked the top guy at my KIA dealership if that feature could be shut off permanently and he said a resounding "NO!".

Well, such a response to someone with my Electro/Mechanical Engineering background is like waving a red flag in the face of a raging bull. The Game is ON!

I figured that if pushing a button could disable the feature, what if the button just stayed pushed? Preliminary tests showed that by keeping the button depressed (permanently) the feature would be turned OFF permanently.
So I cut a small piece of heavy card stock (about .5" square) and jammed it in along side of the switch to hold it in.
That worked! Day after day, the ISG remains OFF.
I just have to remember to pull out the little piece of card stock when I take my car in to the dealer for service.
No big deal! Job done, and problem solved.

I don't like just having to deal with a problem, without trying to fix it. I didn't like the arm rests in my 2020 Soul LX, so instead of complaining about it, I just made my own, that sit on top of the OEM arm rests and remain there by the use of strips of two sided tape. Now I can drive down the highway, with both hands on the steering wheel and both elbows on nice soft, comfy, arm rests. That prevents stress in my arms and shoulders.... something I've suffered from in the past. I did something very similar on my 2013 Soul.

Cheers Mates! Happy Thanksgiving!
View attachment 132749
Thanks for that! Will try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it does not add to starter wear and stress on the battery, as they are beefed up to operate with this feature. It's not only to save fuel but to cut down on emissions.
That is total BS. Simple physics. In the end this cost more fuel and more emissions. It was a BS way to Appease California emission laws.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
That is total BS. Simple physics. In the end this cost more fuel and more emissions. It was a BS way to Appease California emission laws.
then why is this feature used on the vast majority of vehicles in Europe. Are you saying that a vehicle that idles does not create any emissions?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
then why is this feature used on the vast majority of vehicles in Europe. Are you saying that a vehicle that idles does not create any emissions?
I think the problem is that US drivers are not used to the feature. I know that's true for me. Interestingly enough, the hill-holder feature appears to be causing a problem when combined with the ISG in some cases. By now, though, the reflex to disable ISG on starting the car has become habit for me. I still forget occasionally, but the first stop reminds me every time.

It is the unfamiliarity, though, that is causing the problem for many drivers, I think.

·
Registered
332 Posts
it does not add to starter wear and stress on the battery, as they are beefed up to operate with this feature.
not true, simple physics
There is a technical distinction to be made.
While the extra starts add wear it's beefed up to provide those extra starts.
It doesn't shorten the anticipated service life.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yada! Yada! Yada!
I didn't like it...I disabled it... Finis!
Now I don't even think about it.
Except, when I read this forum and people just keep talking about it. :(

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
WELL, it's winter, so how about talking about Winter Driving. That used to be a topic that was near and dear to my heart, when I lived in Illinois.
Here in FL, winter driving and summer driving is pretty much all the same. NO SNOW!

I'd love to hear y'all talk about how the Soul rides and drives in snow. Eh?
Got Stuck? Tell us all about it!

Season's Greetings!
:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
WELL, it's winter, so how about talking about Winter Driving. That used to be a topic that was near and dear to my heart, when I lived in Illinois.
Here in FL, winter driving and summer driving is pretty much all the same. NO SNOW!

Season's Greetings!
SNOW! Our gen 3 LX seems to be at least as good as our previous gen 2 plus and maybe a bit better. Same tires (General Altimax RT43s) on both, we have a 4wd Element and a couple of elderly Caravans with full snows (my work vans) if it's really ugly so... It's nice to have gotten back the ground clearance that was lost gen 1 to gen 2. Unloaded quilt racks after the annual show at a horse barn last night and the Soul looked quite at home parked midst the largish 4wd pickups in the field with a few inches of snow on it. I haven't driven it in glop yet but Jane has been through a couple of hilly white-knucklers with it and she is quite pleased. One was enough that she was thinking about calling and cancelling the appointment but she got tucked in behind a plow and 'plowed' on. She says it is nicely predictable. Sort of on topic, I haven't carded the ISG yet. Jane's gotten pretty used to pushing the scarlet A and even not doing that between outside temperature, windshield defogger, lots of short trips (engine temperature), and hilly stops I'd be surprised if we saw it attempt that til spring.

Seasons Greetings back from hilly SW WI to FL :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd love to hear y'all talk about how the Soul rides and drives in snow.
I have seen three snowfalls so far. The first one had the tires my molten came with. Absolutely terrible. Those tires had the best dry traction I've ever felt and pushed. When it rained I had to cut back to 40 on the straight parts of the freeway, about 25 on most curves. About the same in the snow. (junk ) primewell generic 🔥stone.
Now I have a pair of Uniroyal Tiger paw GTZ a/s 2's up front and the other two snows were much better. Very even handling rain, shine or snow. Also very happy with my weather tech.
Dreaming of a white Christmas, ;) cheers

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Season's Greetings!
So far, so good. Our 2020 LX has performed well in our first two snowstorms. I give the IVT much of the credit. Gentle acceleration is rewarded with a smooth take-off on hard packed snow and ice. Of course, braking is another matter. However, the ABS system did a great job, allowing nice straight-line stops on icy roads. We're driving on the OEM 16" tires, which appear to be behaving well in their first winter driving.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Well, as you can well imagine, my Jem has never seen any snow. In fact I saw my last mid-west snow during the winter of 1987-1988. And, I don't want to see any more!!!

But my memory serves me pretty well, and this danged FL Sugar Sand is very close to snow. So I drive in sugar sand pretty much like I drove in Snow, for more years and more miles than I even want to remember.*

* For MANY years, I drove company cars for my employers, (in Central Illinois) and they would never put snow tires on those cars and vans. It wasn't even discussed. So it was up to me to get to my service calls the best way I could. I found out how to make a Ford Van, normally a 'Hog on Ice' drive through snow like a TANK. What a Blast!

Season's Greetings

41 - 60 of 64 Posts