Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't mind the ISG while driving. I find the engine will restart just by taking a little pressure off the brake which I usually do in anticipation of a stoplight turning green. It does however annoy the **** outa me when parking. I pull into a parking space or my drive way stop and the engine turns off. It then turns on as I'm moving the shift lever to park and I then I turn it off. Engine runs for about 1/2 second that can't be good for anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that not being able to permanently turn this feature off is ridiculous. If it saves $5 in gas a year, I'd be surprised. I'm a mechanic. Anyone who thinks the starter working thousands of time--over it's life--isn't wearing things out is crazy. Thanks for the card idea, but this has got to be temporary at best. Someone needs to pull the switch out of the dash and see if it's possible to just jumper it behind. Has anyone done this? I assume the switch just snaps in the dash? What's on the manual model? Maybe we can order whatever they use for it?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I agree that not being able to permanently turn this feature off is ridiculous. If it saves $5 in gas a year, I'd be surprised. I'm a mechanic. Anyone who thinks the starter working thousands of time--over it's life--isn't wearing things out is crazy. Thanks for the card idea, but this has got to be temporary at best. Someone needs to pull the switch out of the dash and see if it's possible to just jumper it behind. Has anyone done this? I assume the switch just snaps in the dash? What's on the manual model? Maybe we can order whatever they use for it?
I agree about the constant restarting. Sitting at traffic lights, I'm hearing more and more cars that have this feature. The light turns green and the car next to me is restarting. It's one more thing that slows down reaction time at traffic signals. Even a small delay slows the entire process down of getting moving again. My response is to make pushing the ISG disable button what I do when I start the car, and while it's doing its system check. I rarely forget to do so, but when I do, I push the button the first time the engine stops. That immediately restarts and ISG is off from then on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah, but my wife is not so good at remembering! I need to pull the switch and see what's going on with the back of it.......when I get time and the weather gets cooler. Has anyone tried to pull any of these rocker switches?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yeah, but my wife is not so good at remembering! I need to pull the switch and see what's going on with the back of it.......when I get time and the weather gets cooler. Has anyone tried to pull any of these rocker switches?
Well, it's on a little panel, which is probably removable, but I don't know how, and haven't looked. The problem is that the switch is push on/push off, and I don't know which state shuts down the ISG. I wouldn't go that far, really. The system works just fine, so forgetting to disable it won't cause any problems, really. I forget sometimes, but am reminded if the engine turns off at a stop. Then I push it, if I forgot. I don't consider it a big deal, really - just a minor quibble.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED. Or, at least the best way I can see to do it. If you pull the fuse box cover, you can see the back of the switch panel with the ISG on it. It's all electronic--there's no connectors to bridge. There is only one connector for the whole panel. So, this won't work. Back to wedging the 'A' button off. This is easily accomplished with a normal business card. Cut it to the exact width of the switch button. Cut a section about 1/4 inch long. Fold it in half (you need a double thickness to wedge in the crack). Install it at the bottom of the switch, in the space between the bezel/surround and the switch itself. It will securely hold the button down and you won't even be able to see the bit of business card that's wedged in the crack. This is the same idea that the guy with the Stinger is doing only he's going to a whole lot of trouble to wedge the button from the BACK of the panel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a fan of stuff jamming switches. It looks tacky. I'll just keep pushing the button, unless I find that I get used to it. That might happen, although I suspect it would cause a slight delay at taking off at traffic lights. Maybe not, though.
In Vegas a slight delay could be a life saver. You can count on 2-4 cars going theough on red.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
PROBLEM SOLVED. Or, at least the best way I can see to do it. If you pull the fuse box cover, you can see the back of the switch panel with the ISG on it. It's all electronic--there's no connectors to bridge. There is only one connector for the whole panel. So, this won't work. Back to wedging the 'A' button off. This is easily accomplished with a normal business card. Cut it to the exact width of the switch button. Cut a section about 1/4 inch long. Fold it in half (you need a double thickness to wedge in the crack). Install it at the bottom of the switch, in the space between the bezel/surround and the switch itself. It will securely hold the button down and you won't even be able to see the bit of business card that's wedged in the crack. This is the same idea that the guy with the Stinger is doing only he's going to a whole lot of trouble to wedge the button from the BACK of the panel.
Too much trouble, really. It's easy to turn it off as soon as you start the car. If you forget, the first stop you make will let you know that you forgot. So, push the button then and the engine starts instantly and doesn't shut off again. I don't like wedging things down. The switch is a push on, push off switch. So the circuit is either open or closed. I'd have to check to see which state turns the thing off. But, that would mean removing that panel and messing with the car. So, I just won't bother. I'll just push the switch.

·
Registered
332 Posts
How is the hood switch on those models? According to the list if the computer thinks the hood is open it will not activate. Does the dash tell you the hood is open?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think they will ever give an option to default it to off. With it defaulting to on, the EPA tests show better mpg ratings. If it was able to default to off, the EPA would not consider it on their testing, so mpg would go down. Not something KIA would want on their advertising.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have found that my MPG goes down with it turned on.

I have 3D printed a part to keep it turned off. I'll test it for a week then toss it up on my online store. Can't advertise here since I don't have the revenue to warrant becoming a vendor.

Edit:
Here's a couple of pictures, It still needs some tweaks.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That ISG button pictured, is different than the one on my 2020 LX.

Whatever is used to hold the button IN, must be easily removable, so that it CAN be removed if and when the car goes into the Kia Dealership for, service.

A little piece of card stock stuck in along side the button, to hold it in, fills the bill nicely. It's cheap, and quickly removable.

Cheers Mate!
:cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
What's on the manual model? Maybe we can order whatever they use for it?
It's not what is on the manual, it's what isn't. The gains are so marginal on a slushbox from this rube Goldberg machine they don't even try it on stick.
You would have to give the computer override access to the clutch and/or gear selector.
The A/T with ISG got a bigger AGM battery and a heavy duty starter as well a host of additional nonsensical extras. Wiring, lots of wiring, Two different DC-DC converters, a few extra sensors and computers, an electric tranny fluid pump to keep it charged, and that button on the dash.
One of these car review companies should pull it all and weigh it. They tried to ditch the spare tire, something useful and wanted, for fuel economy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just wished mine worked right. I start out and don't shut it off and the car keeps running, next it shuts off. I never know when it is going to shut off and when it isn't. Sometimes colors are displayed and other times it is not when it keeps running.

·
Registered
332 Posts
There is an official list of conditions from Kia's service manual, as well as a few unofficial on here.
The coolant temperature, the battery state of charge, the hydraulic brake pedal pressure, the ambient temperature, the hvac blower setting, HVAC desired temp vs actual outlet temp, doors closed, occupied seats buckled, hood closed, complete stop from above 5mph, and no codes/CEL

·
Registered
8 Posts
I personally like it and do not mind it. It is pretty seamless. However I have noticed that I can come to a complete stop and not activate it until I give more pressure on the brake pedal. I believe in gentle stops anyway.
Here in Florida I was at a red light stopped, engine off and I turned up the ac fan and the engine started. It is ass backwards and should be pushed on if wanted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah, I'm not a fan of stuff jamming switches. It looks tacky. I'll just keep pushing the button, unless I find that I get used to it. That might happen, although I suspect it would cause a slight delay at taking off at traffic lights. Maybe not, though.
It does cause a delay on reaction time when the light turns Green. So much for a drag race against a Hyundai Kona. :p US Navy Seabee EO Equipment Operator.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 64 Posts