Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The ISG works OK, but I don't like it, on general terms. I don't really need the engine to shut off at traffic lights all that much. It doesn't save all that much fuel and adds to starter wear and stress on the battery. I realized that I can tap the button every time I start my 2020 Soul LX, but I will forget, and so will my wife, who also doesn't like it. There should be a way to change the default setting on this feature. That's my only complaint, and it's a minor one. I'll get used to tapping that button every time I start the car, but don't think I should have to.

Maybe I just haven't found the place where I can change the default. No big deal at all, and I'm loving the Gen 3 Soul a lot. We just picked it up two days ago, to replace our 2013 Base Soul.

BTW, I like the ITV so far. KIA did a great job with it. I notice it in operation, but it's not obtrusive at all. My wife can't see the difference at all.

Great new Soul!

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
it does not add to starter wear and stress on the battery, as they are beefed up to operate with this feature. It's not only to save fuel but to cut down on emissions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does not add to starter wear and stress on the battery, as they are beefed up to operate with this feature. It's not only to save fuel but to cut down on emissions.
I finally opened the hood, and see that the battery is considerably larger than the one in my 2013 Base Soul. I'm sure the ISG system is well-engineered, but I'm an old geezer and don't adapt well to new things. Once I start my car, I'd like for the engine to remain running until I turn it off. So, I'll be tapping the button to disable ISG each time I start the engine. I'll forget, though, and will be reminded the first time the engine stops running at the interminably long traffic signal near my home.

I'd like a choice with this system for the default. It's not a big deal, though.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I'm an "old geezer" too :D One of the members solved it by wedging a piece of card in the button to keep it in the off position.
ISG is a very common feature in Europe. I've driven a few rentals over there with the feature, seemed to work very well and these were much smaller engines.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I wonder why the dislike of the ISG, I too am an old geezer and I find it to be unobtrusive. After A couple of days I didn't even realise it was there.

Pat.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Ok you guys, I'm starting to think ISG stands for "I Stop for Geezers." :p

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I don't like it either, and it really ticked me off when I asked my dealer about it, and got a resounding "NO, you can't disable that feature". This old Geezer don't like to take "NO!" for an answer.
(I'm only 76, so I don't know if I really qualify as an Old Geezer, yet)

A shorting wire across the back of that switch would permanently disable the ISG. But it may also disable the warranty, so, to KISS (Keep It Simple Sam) I just pushed the button IN and then jammed a little piece of card stock in along side the switch to hold it in.
That worked! (y) NO MORE ISG!

And, when I take my car in to the dealer, like I did recently, for my first Oil Change,* I can pull out the little piece of card stock, and they are never the wiser.
As soon as I pull out of the dealership, the card stock goes back in, along side the ISG switch.

* Bless them, they even installed a Magnetic Drain Plug, which I supplied to them.

If something so simple, can keep Momma happy....why not?

I do love the bigger battery. I have a project in mind, where that will come in handy. More on that, another day.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
It is an annoying feature especially when it's thrust upon unsuspecting buyers.
At least it has a defeat switch which many manufacturers do not, so I am told.
The jammed paper trick is simple and works though the crudeness of if leaves me slightly cold.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is an annoying feature especially when it's thrust upon unsuspecting buyers.
At least it has a defeat switch which many manufacturers do not, so I am told.
The jammed paper trick is simple and works though the crudeness of if leaves me slightly cold.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of stuff jamming switches. It looks tacky. I'll just keep pushing the button, unless I find that I get used to it. That might happen, although I suspect it would cause a slight delay at taking off at traffic lights. Maybe not, though.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
CA said: "That might happen, although I suspect it would cause a slight delay at taking off at traffic lights. "

Yeah...that exact thing happened to me other day.
Forgot to hit the switch, car quietly shut down at intersection.
I hit the go pedal but she had to start before we went anywhere.
The momentary lapse was enough time for my butt cheeks to tighten as an oncoming car got too close for comfort.
Got to remember to disable that I.S.G!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'm an "old geezer" too :D One of the members solved it by wedging a piece of card in the button to keep it in the off position.
ISG is a very common feature in Europe. I've driven a few rentals over there with the feature, seemed to work very well and these were much smaller engines.

Ever drive a 1st generation Twingo.
One liter by Renault that will climb almost vertical with the car full of people!

·
Registered
36 Posts
It looks like 100% agreement that nobody likes the ISG, including me. I tend to be paranoid but I absolutely believe that using this "feature" adds to wear & tear on the car, no matter what the official line is, and I have no intention of ever using it.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
It looks like 100% agreement that nobody likes the ISG, including me. I tend to be paranoid but I absolutely believe that using this "feature" adds to wear & tear on the car, no matter what the official line is, and I have no intention of ever using it.

It could have been worse...at least they gave us the defeat switch!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally like it and do not mind it. It is pretty seamless. However I have noticed that I can come to a complete stop and not activate it until I give more pressure on the brake pedal. I believe in gentle stops anyway.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It could have been worse...at least they gave us the defeat switch!
Yup. Start car. Push Button. Drive on. It's not a big deal. However, it would be nice if there was a way to disable it as the default state on start-up. I'll bet the computer could handle that OK, but it's not something that was included as a user setting, at least as far as I can determine.

I've explained it to my wife, who is not very mechanically inclined. She gets it, but will forget to push the disable button and be surprised when the engine shuts down at a light. However, she understands that the car will restart when she takes her foot off the brake at the traffic signal. She will still be confused, though, and I don't like that. So, I'll remind her about the button until it becomes habit for her.

She did ask me, "What if the engine doesn't restart?" I told her, turn off the key, put the car in Park, foot on brake and restart and go.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts