Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My 2019 manual Soul sat around on the dealer lot and in auction for almost a year and it only had 12k miles on it. No one wanted the poor thing because it’s manual transmission.

Have it checked out by a mechanic. I wouldn’t worry about a few hose clamps with a little surface rust on them, but I’d check under the car for a rotting subframe. The body and interior looks good. That car is the last of the MPI 1.6L engine paired with a 5 speed manual transmission so it should be nice and reliable. Have it checked out.

Yea car is over priced but have you looked at car prices lately? They’re all too high. Everything is expensive right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My 2019 manual Soul sat around on the dealer lot and in auction for almost a year and it only had 12k miles on it. No one wanted the poor thing because it’s manual transmission.

Have it checked out by a mechanic. I wouldn’t worry about a few hose clamps with a little surface rust on them, but I’d check under the car for a rotting subframe. The body and interior looks good. That car is the last of the MPI 1.6L engine paired with a 5 speed manual transmission so it should be nice and reliable. Have it checked out.

Yea car is over priced but have you looked at car prices lately? They’re all too high. Everything is expensive right now.
Thanks for your feedback rhysoul!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I should have you pick out my used car.
LOL no you shouldn't. I'm a mechanic and a hard negotiator. My favorite is to stop at a car offered for sale (private or on a lot) with a for sale sticker with a price on it, let's say they're asking 5k for it. I would walk around the car and when a person shows up and asks me if I like the car I would reply "yeah it might do but what are you asking for this $800 turd?"

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
if its have clear previous history than it would be better for you and i check out the vin. the Vin shows all the relevant information of the car

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
LOL no you shouldn't. I'm a mechanic and a hard negotiator. My favorite is to stop at a car offered for sale (private or on a lot) with a for sale sticker with a price on it, let's say they're asking 5k for it. I would walk around the car and when a person shows up and asks me if I like the car I would reply "yeah it might do but what are you asking for this $800 turd?"
I'll give that a shot!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
My 2010 with 223k looks better then that thing aside from the paint on my interior door trim. If you look at the interior pieces you can tell it has had kids/pets in it per the little scratches everywhere and lots of time was spent making it "shiny" and cleaned up. But for the current car market it is kinda a fair price oddly enough. One place near me had a car like this one with more obvious issues on the outside alone and about 150k and they were asking 12-13k I forget exactly...

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
You don't want to know what I would offer for this car. I'll give you a hint, bought my 2016 Soul with every option available down to heated and cooled seats, panoramic roof etc. and 40k miles on it about 2 years ago and for well under what they are asking for this car. So basically since it was 2 yeas ago you would compare it to a fully loaded 2018 Plus model with 40k ish miles for under 6k. I don't pay much for cars and never retail. Even my Mazda I bought new for a few grand off sticker and 0.9% financing (and with inflation now that payment seems like 20% cheaper now)
Sadly 2 years ago was a whole different car market than the current...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Sadly 2 years ago was a whole different car market than the current...
Yes it was but I left out the full story: I paid pocket change for this at an insurance auction because a dealership couldn't figure it out after it had been struck by lightning and wiped out all module communication while frying some and some sensors and alternator along the way. There is no body damage other than a small BB sized spot on the roof where the lightning hit. I have not a lot of money into it all in with parts including the 6 hours or so I spent fixing it. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't pay retail and am able to fix things for pennies on the dollar, just ask how I ended up with my 62k mile Porsche Boxster (89k miles currently after 6 summers of fun) for under $1200.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Yes it was but I left out the full story: I paid pocket change for this at an insurance auction because a dealership couldn't figure it out after it had been struck by lightning and wiped out all module communication while frying some and some sensors and alternator along the way. There is no body damage other than a small BB sized spot on the roof where the lightning hit. I have not a lot of money into it all in with parts including the 6 hours or so I spent fixing it. Like I mentioned earlier, I don't pay retail and am able to fix things for pennies on the dollar, just ask how I ended up with my 62k mile Porsche Boxster (89k miles currently after 6 summers of fun) for under $1200.
I haven't been that lucky in a long time to be honest until last year. Work was switching to new Nissan vans (CVT ick!) and they were dumping their old vehicles. One of them was the 2014 I have now. Started driving it with 47k now 142k but I knew the service history since you know I took it into the shop for maintenance, etc. Anyways long story short I paid $1,000 for it!

·
Registered
2011 + m/t 2.0l
692 Posts
is the antenna whip missing? also is the d/s fog insert missing? are those rims quality and new tires for them reasonably priced? if no tpms installed the amber tire light will never go away.
the brake light is probably normal, it's a stick. it should go out when released.
it's obviously a base model, base audio, no steering wheel buttons, etc.
my plus came with upgrades. weathertech window visors, weathertech floor mats and the original kia mats, privacy tint, bumper applicae, 8ch audio, mood lighting, the 2.0l, factory alloy 16s, and a dozen or so other things for 3 grand less than insulting price. if I saw that car in person and was satisfied I might be willing to go as high as $2000 tax and title included. anything over that based on those pictures is robbery.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The dealer said it's been hard to move because it's a manual transmission. I thought that sounded reasonable. It's been service regularly.

Thanks for your feedback mbw31!
i believe it. i had loads of ppl call about a car i was selling but they didn't realize it was a stick (even tho it as listed and pictured...kids these days lol), i lost so many ppl when i told them it was a manual.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did that. It matches the CarFax report. Thanks for the input.
i wouldn't trust carfax...i had a car that had $12K worth of body damage in a 4 car accident and didn't show up on the carfax. same car also got hit by an 18 wheeler at a light (way less damage but still). there were police reports and insurance claims for both but the carfax showed no accidents. just saying. this was almost a decade ago so maybe better now but who could say?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts