Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's basically my question, when we shut off the Soul and remove the ignition key, all doors unlock. We prefer that it not do that, is there a way to disable that feature? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
No, at least not back then. If you have a model with the Supervision Cluster (I have that) you can disable it. That feature didn't become available till the 2014 Exclaim model as an option.

I had a 2012 Soul, which unlocked all the doors when you put it into Park, but if you put it into Neutral it would not do it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I know...."Curiosity killed the cat", but I'm still curious.

I can't think of an instance in the past four years that I would take the key out of the ignition switch and not want my doors unlocked so I could get out. Said The Robot, "that does not compute!"

So what's up with that?

Curious :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ha. would like to ask this question the opposite, is there a way to prevent the door from locking when you put it in gear, like backing out of the garage. Practically all newer vehicles are this way, some to give the option where the doors won't lock until you hit about 5 mph.

But if you exceed like when dropping people at various doors, say at a school, they will lock again.

Not sure about the thinking behind this, maybe we are too dumb to lock our doors in a dangerous area, so it does this automatically. But in such areas an ice pick or the sharp edge of the butt of a pistol can shatter that temper glass into a zillion pieces if stopped at a stop sign.

Wonder how reliable these door locks are, sure locking and unlocking them a zillion times. But for me, more interested in getting out, we drove across that bridge in the Twin Cities, just two weeks before it fell down.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Ha. would like to ask this question the opposite, is there a way to prevent the door from locking when you put it in gear, like backing out of the garage. Practically all newer vehicles are this way, some to give the option where the doors won't lock until you hit about 5 mph.
read post #2 above, you have to have the Supervision cluster to control it. You have 3 choices: Off - deactivated; Speed (locks at 15 km/h (9.3 mph); or Shift lever - when you take it out of Park.

What vehicle do you have, please fill out your drive profile (settings/edit profile)

·
Registered
576 Posts

I can't think of an instance in the past four years that I would take the key out of the ignition switch and not want my doors unlocked so I could get out. Said The Robot, "that does not compute!"

So what's up with that?

He probably doesn't want to get carjacked once he turns off the engine. He lives in Chicago after all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tried this on both the Soul and the Elantra, both work, when the doors unlock when switching off the engine, just hit the manual door lock.

Would this solve your problem? Never tried this before reading this post, learned something.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So what's up with that?

He probably doesn't want to get carjacked once he turns off the engine. He lives in Chicago after all.
You sir, are correct. There are times when we drop off or pick up people, or just park the car, but stay in the car and want to keep it locked. But Chicago gets a bum rap, just gotta stay out of bad spots like any place else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts