Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning from Dallas
Has anyone heard if they are going to recall the 2015 Soul + for the engine problems? Having to make payments on a car I can't drive is just not right. I am on a fixed income and can not get another car. I am the 3rd owner so I had no power tran warranty I had the oil changed every 5,000 miles at like 66,000 miles it started messing up and stalled several times on the highway, there was no warning of any kind, no knocking no warning light nothing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's not entirely clear to me what engine problems you refer to. If this is the oil consumption problem with the 2.0L engine, a full-fledged recall does not look all that probable. Currently, I'm chasing after Kia for warranty coverage on a 2015 Soul losing about 1 quart per 1k miles. But a recall does not look likely.
You can read the thread below titled 2015 Engine Failure to learn what others are doing.
Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the same oil consumption problem as every post I have read. This is a problem if they are not going to fix it.
I am 60 yrs old and all this happened the day after my birthday, Being the 3rd owner I have no power tran under warranty, I only bought this because my kids said I needed something that was going to be reliable. I have always bought used cars and never paid more then $1200 for them and they lasted way longer then this car did, I have always taken care of my cars, but this is just not right as they knew this was a problem. why should I keep paying on it if I can't drive it? No way can I purchase another car while I pay payments on this one.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
You are right, this should not be happening. This problem has only surfaced recently. It mostly has happened on the 1.6 cars and there was a recall for that car. It is not clear that there will not be a recall on the 2.0 cars. If the pattern follows the 1.6 I would assume that there would be one. I have not had this kind of problem with any of the 2.0 (MPI or GDI) engines. But I do try to keep close tabs on my oil level. I took the 1.6 in for the recall but it has never acted up.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Sadly if you are the 3rd owner of 4 year old car, more than likely you got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on that deal. There's a reason it was $1,200. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I know it was not intentional, but the title of this thread should be changed to Is there a recall or something that does not suggest there is one for the 2.0L

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok so I can finally add myself to the list of individuals that has a 2015 2.0l GDI Soul that is now using oil between changes. Started a couple of months ago. Now I'm adding about 250ml every week and half. Car has 103,000kms on it. Of course I called the local Kia dealer, according to him there are no known issues with the 2.0l. Right buddy whatever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly if you are the 3rd owner of 4 year old car, more than likely you got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on that deal. There's a reason it was $1,200. Buyer beware.
i am the 3rd owner but i didn't pay $1200 for this car i am paying $13,000 for the Soul i was saying the junker cars were lasting longer then the soul did

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's hoping for a recall - My soul just started burning oil about 3 weeks ago and now has a bent rod. 2015 with 75k. I'm the second owner, so no luck with the warranty.
It's just too bad I didn't see these posts sooner...

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Here's hoping for a recall - My soul just started burning oil about 3 weeks ago and now has a bent rod. 2015 with 75k. I'm the second owner, so no luck with the warranty.
It's just too bad I didn't see these posts sooner...
Knowledge is power. That's one of the great parts of this community. On any future car purchases I plan to read it's forum prior to buying.

Sorry you lost an engine. Did it actually seize up 3 weeks after you noticed it was burning oil? Had you added any oil during that period?

Hope this works out for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Coincidentally, we just completed a 3000 mile oil consumption test with a Kia dealer, and now it looks like we get a warranty short block. And a warranty loaner while we wait. (A stripped down white Nssan Sentra with a big, embarrassing dealer sticker on each side. Glad I don't drive it.) The consumption test proved oil loss in excess of 1 quart per 1k miles. Powertrain warranty still in effect. I think choosing a good Dealer helped too. Just got lucky there.
So, Kia does know their 2.0L engine has problems, but they want the customer to jump through hoops before fixing their lousy engine production.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Coincidentally, we just completed a 3000 mile oil consumption test with a Kia dealer, and now it looks like we get a warranty short block. And a warranty loaner while we wait. (A stripped down white Nssan Sentra with a big, embarrassing dealer sticker on each side. Glad I don't drive it.) The consumption test proved oil loss in excess of 1 quart per 1k miles. Powertrain warranty still in effect. I think choosing a good Dealer helped too. Just got lucky there.
So, Kia does know their 2.0L engine has problems, but they want the customer to jump through hoops before fixing their lousy engine production.
That's good news Lrobby that they're standing behind it. Out of curiosity what year & mileage is on your Soul?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's good news Lrobby that they're standing behind it. Out of curiosity what year & mileage is on your Soul?

Thanks.
Her's is a '15 with about 74k miles. Stormtrooper Edition.
I think a lot of it depends on the Dealership. They have to be willing to push for it.
And I sure credit you and this website for giving me a lot of "heads-up" on this issue.
Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts

·
Registered
5,895 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
A recall for oil consumption is probably a stretch. Even an engine under warranty typically has to burn more than 1 qt/1,000 miles. I also don't know how common this is. There are people posting here about oil consumption, but there have been over a million Souls sold in NA and people having issues are (understandably) more likely to post.

I have 54,000 miles on my 2015 and so far no oil consumption. I don't hang out on the Gen 1 side of the forum, where the cars have more miles, but those those that do, is oil consumption an issue?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts