Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into getting a Kia Soul, but there aren't many in my area. A dealer in my state has a 2023 GT-Line without markups. I overall like that trim and the features that come with it, but I'm concerned about the "sport suspension". I test drove a 2020 Soul LX the other day at my local dealer and it took a bumpy road pretty badly. The 2019 Forte (rental, btw; otherwise I wouldn't be looking for a new car in this market) that I drive now also takes bumpy roads pretty poorly.

I can't find much information about whether the GT-Line takes bumps better or worse than the other trims. I'd assume worse because of the tighter sport suspension, but I also read that it has improved shock absorbers, which I assume would improve the ride quality. Most of the roads I drive are smooth, so it's not a huge deal, but I am kinda in the country, so I do drive bumpy roads often enough for it to possibly be a dealbreaker.

What has your experience been?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm looking into getting a Kia Soul, but there aren't many in my area. A dealer in my state has a 2023 GT-Line without markups. I overall like that trim and the features that come with it, but I'm concerned about the "sport suspension". I test drove a 2020 Soul LX the other day at my local dealer and it took a bumpy road pretty badly. The 2019 Forte (rental, btw; otherwise I wouldn't be looking for a new car in this market) that I drive now also takes bumpy roads pretty poorly.

I can't find much information about whether the GT-Line takes bumps better or worse than the other trims. I'd assume worse because of the tighter sport suspension, but I also read that it has improved shock absorbers, which I assume would improve the ride quality. Most of the roads I drive are smooth, so it's not a huge deal, but I am kinda in the country, so I do drive bumpy roads often enough for it to possibly be a dealbreaker.

What has your experience been?
My 2022 Soul EX on driving from the dealer to home rode like a stage coach over cobblestone roads. I soon discovered this dealer kept 45 pound pressure in their tires to avoid flat spots on tires that would be sitting on showroom floors or lots. With proper air pressure the car gives a harsh ride which has been noted in several publicized test results. (Edmunds and Consumer Reports I think) I’m very pleased with the car maybe because I’m not driving on gravel roads. I would question, like you, if a stiffer sports car suspension would degrade the ride quality unless you like taking right angle turns at 60 miles per hour.

The only car I can remember that could handle country poorly paved or dirt roads was a 1953 Volkswagen Beetle that had independent torsion bar suspension. My parents 2 ton Buick couldn’t stay on a bumpy road without fishtailing or turning sidewise if you gunned it over twenty miles per hour.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
The lower profile tires on the GT-Line usually would mean a harsher ride. Maybe the tires were over inflated on the LX, that would definitely make the ride harsh. But the Soul uses a beam rear suspension and has a relatively short wheel base, so it’s going to be a bit choppy on rough roads.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Most of us Soul owners, didn't buy our cars, and keep them, because of the cushy ride. I even run my tires at 42 psi, for MPG and performance, not a soft ride. I live "OFF ROAD" so I've learned to just avoid the bumps and holes, rocks and tree roots, in the road.

If I were looking for a car with a soft cushy ride, I definitely would NOT have bought a short wheel-based Econobox, with zero Aerodynamics.
But ride aside, the Soul is a pretty great little car. I sure love mine!:love:
She's perky, sporty and she gives me GREAT gas mileage, and......she's just plain FUN to drive.
In fact, I've loved each one of my three Souls that I've driven for a total miles close to 150k.
When properly broken in and maintained, they're just GREAT little cars.

:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts