Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. The check engine light is on in my 2014 Soul EX. Pulling code P0461 -- Fuel Level Sensor.
As far as I can tell, the actual gas gauge is working fine (i.e., it's reading full when I fill up, and slowly drops to empty as I drive throughout the week).

It's done this before (same code) and the light turned off on it's own after a few days. The lights' been on a few weeks this time.

A few questions after some preliminary research:
1. I'm presuming I need to replace the whole fuel pump assembly (It's not practical/possible to replace just the sensor). Correct?
2. Watched a couple of Youtube videos: Remove the back seat, remove fuel pump assembly, replace with new one. Seems simple enough?
3. Should that turn off the light? Or will I need to have a mechanic clear the code still?

Dealer wants almost $1k to fix. Local mechs want around $800. May as well be a million. I don't have that sort of money.
Looks like I can buy a OEM one on eBay for around $50 to $100. From parted-out wrecked cars I guess. Anyone go this route before?

·
Registered
212 Posts
This used to be common on older cars. It's likely straightforward like you saw in the videos. Drive till it's nearly empty just to avoid getting covered in gasoline.

Open the tank under the seat. Might need a screwdriver and mallet to spin the retainer ring. Once you get it out check to see if it's the old style where a sweeping arm slides across contacts as the float moves up and down.

Used to be, those contacts would get dirty and not send the info to the gauge. If you gently clean them you may not need to replace anything. Always easier and cheaper to try that at first.

Keep us posted and take pics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done! Replaced the entire fuel pump assembly in my 2014 Soul EX.
I can’t overstate how STUPID-easy this is. It also only cost me a grand total of $90.

Step 1:
Find a replacement fuel pump assembly. Brand new this is a pretty pricey part, so I went for used. A local wrecker/salvage yard had the part listed on eBay so I went there.
If you go this route, make sure you get the right one! This first pump they brought me was from a first generation Soul . . . and it had a piece broken on it. No problem, they just went and pulled another pump for me. (dang! How many wrecked Souls do they have back there?)

This is the part we’re replacing:

No kidding, these are the only tools that ever left my workbench for this entire project: A crescent wrench and a Phillips head screwdriver.

I drove the car until it was running on fumes to empty the tank (although apparently this isn’t necessary). We’re going to be opening up the gas tank, so put the car in the driveway or other well-ventilated area and open all the windows. I went ahead and disconnected the battery. Pull out the floorboard and storage tray from the trunk.

Under the bottom flap of the back seats there’s a single bolt. Unscrew this bolt.

The back seat is attached at two points (the white thingies in this picture). Simply yank hard straight up to detach.

Pull the seat out. As an aside, this would be a good time to clean you back seat.

Access to the fuel pump is under a black cover (sorry, didn’t get pictures of this in place). This is glued in place with a gasket. Just carefully pull this cover off.

Unplug the 2 electrical connections. Unplug the two hoses. The smaller fuel line spewed about half a cup of gas when I unplugged it. Don’t panic. Just keep it outside the passenger compartment. Unscrew the retaining ring bolts.

Pull the old assembly out. It’s shaped funny so it takes some maneuvering. Interestingly, although I had drove the car until it was empty and reading dashes on my range, it looks like there was still about a gallon of gas at the bottom of the tank.

Install the new pump, reconnect hoses and plugs, and replace back seat in reverse order. Your done!!

The bad news is this particular check engine code doesn’t just turn off by itself. It has to be zeroed out by a mechanic. So I went to the shop that’s done work for me before and had him clear it out.

total elapsed time: 1 hour

(the dealer wanted $1,000 to do this!!!!)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,473 Posts
Great job chakotay and terrific write up! Thanks for taking the time to take photos and step by step.

Those tools look awfully fancy! :)

Question: Why didn't your 5 year bumper to bumper warranty not take care of this?

All the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm always relieved when I manage to do something myself and save a ton of $.

GeoSoul, my Soul was a former rental car that I purchased from Hertz. I guess the rules of the warranty are different for fleet cars so nothing's covered anymore. :(

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Great job on the DIY. Awesome step-by-step!

I just realized... you bought the whole pump... :(
You can find the level sensor separately... it's like 47 USD.
I did a level sensor on my neighbors 2015 Soul and we found the level sensor brand new off E-Bay, even came in the KIA genuine parts box.

For anyone else looking on the forums in the future.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KIA-OEM-14...t-Level-Sending-Unit-94460B2000-/172548983054

1 - 7 of 7 Posts