Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Is it possible to use stock backup camera with aftermarket radio?

48K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  dailygrind 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2012 Kia Soul 4U. It has an infinity stereo system and I'm changing it to a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX.

I'm wondering if there's a harness out there that will let me use the original backup camera that is already installed in my Soul. Or if not, is there a work-around where I can splice an RCA connector onto the camera wire and plug it into the head unit? Has any one done this? Will it work?

#2 ·
Depending on the connection type you may be able to find an adapter of some sort. I used the factory Sirius antenna on my 2010 Exclaim by using an adapter I found at Crutchfield.com when installing my Jensen VX7022.

#4 ·
Not seeing an adapter available, but on a 2012 the video signal is in the large connector closest to the side of the factory radio (Connector B). Video positive is pin #6 and Video negative is pin #18. Looks like it might also require a 3.3 Volt power supply to power the camera. Power positive on pin #7 and power negative is pin #23.

Diagram Text Technical drawing Plan Drawing

#6 ·
You'll need a scrap RCA cable to make it happen.

Video+ to the center pin of an RCA
Video- to the outside

Try it and see if video appears when in reverse. If not then you'll need a 12V to 3.3V power supply (Shouldn't need more than 1 or amps of current) which are available on eBay or Amazon at a range of prices. Wire the 12V input to the red wire on your radio harness and the 3.3V output to pin #7 on the factory connector. Input ground to the black wire and output ground to pin 23.

#11 ·
I'm having a hell of a time getting this working!

So I checked the voltage at the back of the car where the attachment goes to the camera. There is 3.4v for sure powering up the camera. I am not getting a picture. I am going to switch out the RCA connector this Saturday and see what happens. :-(

#15 ·
In spite of this being a year old thread, I want to add to this discussion, because I searched high and low and could not find much information (or I should say, Incomplete information) regarding my particular Soul setup.
I have a 2012 Soul +, with UVO (infinity sound w/backup camera). It has a JBL amp with 2 connectors that I had a hard time finding pin out info on. The information I did find, was mostly for the standard head unit, and standard amp.
This all started when my battery failed. After replacing the battery, my head unit had no sound. Everything seemed to work, but no sound whatsoever. I suspected the amp, but had to find the correct pin out diagram to find the amp trigger to ensure it was even getting a signal to turn on.
After finding the amp turning ON, I realized my head unit was bad (Yes, of course I tried resetting it).
I went to Crutchfield and found a Pioneer head unit I liked (AVH-X4800BS), and they told me the Metra Axxess kits to purchase, for installing the new head unit and retain my factory amp, speakers, and wiring. I used the Metra #95-7349B dash kit, to install the Pioneer into the dash(no cutting or mods whatsoever). I used an Axxess HYBL-04 SPIDIF interface, and an ASWC-1 steering wheel interface. The HYBL-04 has a prewired plug to fit into the ASWC-1, so throw away the one that it comes with. You won't need it (you DO need the main ASWC-1 module). The HYBL-04 plugs into the 2 factory connectors that plugged into the back of my fried UVO head unit. You have to splice a few wires from the new head unit to the HYBL04 interface as well, but nothing difficult.
I didn't feel like searching for the E brake wire so I purchased a little brake bypass micro relay for $10, and used that for my brake wire. I followed Drunken Swaggers info regarding the camera pins. He has the correct pin outs, and I did NOT need a 3.3V DC adapter! I got one, but it would not work, and I used straight 12V accessory power to the camera power wire. I could not find any definitive specification on the factory Soul camera other than a stock number. Supposedly the Optima uses a 6V camera. I tried splicing the existing USB cable to a normal USB cable, but the head unit does not want to accept that (because it is part of that Aux/USB module in the dash, that is powered). The HYBL-04 claims to retain the Aux input, but I never use one and haven't tried it yet. (The pioneer has one on the back, I can plug a cable into if desired later). I ran the USB cord from theback of the new head unit into the little sunglass compartment above the unit, and plug my USB music in there. My sunglasses never fit in that thing anyway!
So, I am living proof that an aftermarket head unit can be attached to the factory amp/speakers/and backup camera. You have to splice an RCA jack into the wiring like Drunken Swagger said earlier, and this whole job was not fun or easy. But it can be done, and it sounds and looks good.
I'll try and attach some photos, as proof it really happened! I was gonna do a full write up on it, but got so frustrated, and took so long, I gave up. I just wanted to let anyone searching threads that it could be done and give the basic items I used to complete the job. The interface modules aren't cheap, and I spent just about $500 on all the bits from start to finish. Vehicle Car Technology Center console Multimedia
Electronics Product Technology Electronic device Gadget
Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Auto part Steering wheel
Electronics Technology Electrical wiring Electronic component Electronic device
Electronics Technology Electronic device Electronic engineering Electrical wiring

#17 ·
In spite of this being a year old thread, I want to add to this discussion, because I searched high and low and could not find much information (or I should say, Incomplete information) regarding my particular Soul setup.
I have a 2012 Soul +, with UVO (infinity sound w/backup camera). It has a JBL amp with 2 connectors that I had a hard time finding pin out info on. The information I did find, was mostly for the standard head unit, and standard amp.
This all started when my battery failed. After replacing the battery, my head unit had no sound. Everything seemed to work, but no sound whatsoever. I suspected the amp, but had to find the correct pin out diagram to find the amp trigger to ensure it was even getting a signal to turn on.
After finding the amp turning ON, I realized my head unit was bad (Yes, of course I tried resetting it).
I went to Crutchfield and found a Pioneer head unit I liked (AVH-X4800BS), and they told me the Metra Axxess kits to purchase, for installing the new head unit and retain my factory amp, speakers, and wiring. I used the Metra #95-7349B dash kit, to install the Pioneer into the dash(no cutting or mods whatsoever). I used an Axxess HYBL-04 SPIDIF interface, and an ASWC-1 steering wheel interface. The HYBL-04 has a prewired plug to fit into the ASWC-1, so throw away the one that it comes with. You won't need it (you DO need the main ASWC-1 module). The HYBL-04 plugs into the 2 factory connectors that plugged into the back of my fried UVO head unit. You have to splice a few wires from the new head unit to the HYBL04 interface as well, but nothing difficult.
I didn't feel like searching for the E brake wire so I purchased a little brake bypass micro relay for $10, and used that for my brake wire. I followed Drunken Swaggers info regarding the camera pins. He has the correct pin outs, and I did NOT need a 3.3V DC adapter! I got one, but it would not work, and I used straight 12V accessory power to the camera power wire. I could not find any definitive specification on the factory Soul camera other than a stock number. Supposedly the Optima uses a 6V camera. I tried splicing the existing USB cable to a normal USB cable, but the head unit does not want to accept that (because it is part of that Aux/USB module in the dash, that is powered). The HYBL-04 claims to retain the Aux input, but I never use one and haven't tried it yet. (The pioneer has one on the back, I can plug a cable into if desired later). I ran the USB cord from theback of the new head unit into the little sunglass compartment above the unit, and plug my USB music in there. My sunglasses never fit in that thing anyway!
So, I am living proof that an aftermarket head unit can be attached to the factory amp/speakers/and backup camera. You have to splice an RCA jack into the wiring like Drunken Swagger said earlier, and this whole job was not fun or easy. But it can be done, and it sounds and looks good.
I'll try and attach some photos, as proof it really happened! I was gonna do a full write up on it, but got so frustrated, and took so long, I gave up. I just wanted to let anyone searching threads that it could be done and give the basic items I used to complete the job. The interface modules aren't cheap, and I spent just about $500 on all the bits from start to finish. View attachment 108089 View attachment 108097 View attachment 108105 View attachment 108113 View attachment 108121
It may be an older thread, but many of us have this car. I just bought one and trolled ebay for the parts (I got a $300 harness with the spdif for $50) because i already owned a pioneer avh-4100nex that i wish to install since this year doesn't have android auto. I'm going to be attempting the install over the weekend.
Note that the local stereo shop told me the camera is 5v 3amp, but everything else i found says 6v.

#16 ·
Just so everyone knows....All the wiring connections are done right there in the dash. I ran no additional wires back to the amp or camera. I did access the amp (back by the subwoofer) to test it's power, after the initail loss of sound, but nothing was altered. You need patience and a steady hand, and a soldering tool, and heat shrink tubing. I especially recommend the soldering and heat shrink on the RCA camera splice as those wires are rather fragile, and the heat shrink tubes really help protect your connections.
I found the best pin out diagrams (for my UVO infinity setup) on the Kia Optima and Forte forums. Most of the Soul diagrams I saw were wrong. Mostly, you don't need much info on the pins, as the Metra Axxess harness is just plug and play. Don't forget to turn up the potentiometer screw on the HYBL04 when you are all hooked up! I was pulling my hair out thinking I wired it wrong when I got done and had no sound!! I had turned the screw all the way to the left (counterclockwise) exactly as the instructions said to. They never told me I had to turn it back up to get sound! LOL!
Best thing to do is have a professional shop do it all for you. I'll let you know if I find a work around to use the existing USB plug, but at least I have Radio and CD/DVD player, and my iphone links in and USB thumb drives play music again. I have almost 97K miles now, so am not terribly upset with the factory head unit failure. I was ready for something new....

#19 ·
Hey Kevster, thanks for this, I have a Kia Soul+ with the Infinity sound/amp/sub package. I had the SAME thing happen - Battery replacement and then no sound in the car...luckly I was replacing the head anyway - Sony XA5000. I've done MANY car stereo installs...probably 10 in my lifetime. But this was a real headache, so I just brought it to Best Buy for the install and after the head unit install, there is still no sound. They told me the amp was probably bad. So I'm going to pickup a replacement today, found one for $150 at a local junkyard that looks to be in great shape. But you're saying that the amp was NOT the issue. Right? It actually was the head unit?

*** Also, they couldnt figure out the backup-cam connection, so this is good intel. I'll report back to my local Best Buy on this. I got all of my harnesses from Crutchfield (best place to get this stuff as far as I'm concerned).

#20 ·
I know this is and older thread but maybe it can help someone in the future. Using the actual OEM camera even using the instructions posted previously was going to be a bigger pain for me since I wanted to also add side cameras with my KENWOOD Excelon stereo so I needed to come up with a better plan for my situation. I had previously replaced the broken OEM KIA camera with the much better designed Dorman camera that was a plug in replacement at less than half the cost. When I was trying to figure this mess out I noticed that the Dorman camera housing and camera could be disassembled so figured what the heck. Maybe I could gut the housing and fit the aftermarket Boyo VTK601HD in the housing. Ends up the lens on the Boyo camera was exactly the same size as the lens on the Dorman and it fit in the housing perfectly. I did need to use some epoxy putty to fix it into the housing but when it was all said and done, I was able to keep the OEM look and not have to do workarounds to make it work properly with my new stereo. The only workaround I ended up performing was the one to retain the OEM ceiling microphone which was a much simpler and straight forward process requiring two wires be tapped into on the car side of the larger harness. Everything else I did was according to instructions sent to me by Crutchfield. What I don’t know is if this workaround that I managed could be done with the actual OEM component. I didn’t have the broken one around to look but if you look at the back of yours and see little tiny screws, it can probably be done. If they are there, two of them will be under the foam backing. Dorman was most likely the manufacturer of the original camera so it’s reasonable to assume they are probably assembled the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.