Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really miss having a CD player! I love the Bluetooth, but Amazon Music gives me fits when I make playlists for my phone or Kindle. If I use my Apple 80G IPod, I always have to remember to turn it off when I stop, or it keeps on going --- won't stop where I left off. I really miss being able to jump on ITunes and burn a CD - and for the very rare times that I actually purchase a CD, it bugs me that I can't play it when I get into the car. I have two portable CD players: each one connects via a male-to-male cable from the unit to the mini phone jack on the dash, and a cord that goes from the player to what used to be considered a cigarette lighter in the car. They work, but there is no stable place in my vehicle where I can place the portable CD player - so it jostles when I drive. I will say that the Soul has a great sound system!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes, USB drive is the way to go. Copy music to that instead of CD. Only hitch is the music has to be mp3 but you should be able to convert to that. But it will hold much much more than a CD. If you put each CD (or other grouping of songs) into a separate folder on the USB drive, you can select which folder to play. And the radio will remember exactly where you left off playing, and start playing in that spot.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Like Trey said above, consider burning to a USB flash drive. If you're willing to burn a CD, just do it to a flash drive instead.

Take the time to learn the correct folder setup and your radio will list albums, artists & song titles. It will even start right where you left off last time. Experiment a bit with which baud rate (sound quality) you like before copying a ton of music over.

If you give it a chance I think you'll really like it

Good or bad, CDs are fast becoming relics of the past & fewer & fewer carmakers are putting them in.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I like the fact that I have a CD player (I have a 2013), and I have SiriusXM as well, and a boatload of CDs at home, but truth be told I listen to that little USB disc more than everything else, since I can carry 100 cds on it plus a bunch of audiobooks and podcasts. I have a 64GB one that carries everything I need to last me months. If I didn't have a CD player, I would burn the CD to mp3 at home and play it that way before I'd yank apart the factory system for a declining technology.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 32 GB USB stick in my car. There is no way I'm ever going back to CD's. I get my music from Amazon music and Mp3Caprice. Use MP3Gain to set most of mine around 92 DB (I tried the default 89, but 92 is better) and Mp3 Tag for issues with names and covers. Works great and I am in control of it not Apple. Yes I know there are better sound quality formats than mp3's and I look forward to experiencing them. For now USB. In the near future, streaming your own music on any source with perfect sound will be the norm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really miss having a CD player! I love the Bluetooth, but Amazon Music gives me fits when I make playlists for my phone or Kindle. If I use my Apple 80G IPod, I always have to remember to turn it off when I stop, or it keeps on going --- won't stop where I left off. I really miss being able to jump on ITunes and burn a CD - and for the very rare times that I actually purchase a CD, it bugs me that I can't play it when I get into the car. I have two portable CD players: each one connects via a male-to-male cable from the unit to the mini phone jack on the dash, and a cord that goes from the player to what used to be considered a cigarette lighter in the car. They work, but there is no stable place in my vehicle where I can place the portable CD player - so it jostles when I drive. I will say that the Soul has a great sound system!
Do you have the Audio Package? I have a 2017 with the audio package, and I have an external CD drive (for a computer, USB)... I doubt it will work, but when I get home from this trip (I'm headed to South Bend for my first Notre Dame home game... where my dad went ... against Temple ... where I went...), I will try it with my external drive and see if the UVO infotainment system is powerful enough to read an external CD drive. Again, I'm not counting on it working, but since I already have everything, I think it's worth a try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Really, who in their right minds wants to carry around a bunch of CDs when you can load all the music you need on a little USB stick.

Pat.
look some of us don't give a damn about using a USB stick AND DON'T WANT TO KEEP UP WITH ALL THE DAMN CHANGES. It seems the millennial's are first to say the CDs are obsolete.and I don't think anyone wants to carry a BUNCH of CDs just what they want to play for the day. You can install the radio with CD for about $200 and $ 15.00 for the bezel

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the fact that I have a CD player (I have a 2013), and I have SiriusXM as well, and a boatload of CDs at home, but truth be told I listen to that little USB disc more than everything else, since I can carry 100 cds on it plus a bunch of audiobooks and podcasts. I have a 64GB one that carries everything I need to last me months. If I didn't have a CD player, I would burn the CD to mp3 at home and play it that way before I'd yank apart the factory system for a declining technology.
I would burn the CD to mp3 at home and play it that way before I'd yank apart the factory system for a declining technology. ....DECLINING TECHNOLOGY ???? Its very easy to install a radio upgrade for $215.00 .There is a whole bunch of us that doesn't like some of the FAST TRACK TECHNOLOGY and have NO INTEREST. why would I want to be distracted in my driving by searching a USB stick LOADED with songs

·
Registered
14,773 Posts
I would burn the CD to mp3 at home and play it that way before I'd yank apart the factory system for a declining technology. ....DECLINING TECHNOLOGY ???? Its very easy to install a radio upgrade for $215.00 .There is a whole bunch of us that doesn't like some of the FAST TRACK TECHNOLOGY and have NO INTEREST. why would I want to be distracted in my driving by searching a USB stick LOADED with songs
if you have the UVO audio system you can search verbally for any album, artist or track - so no visible searching required. :joyous:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Well add me to saying CD's are obsolete and I am far from a Millennial. That doesn't mean you shouldn't get whatever you want and if you have a large cd collection that has not degraded I at least 1/2 understand. But the days of cd's skipping, losing information over time etc are happily over. Hmm, what about an 8 track?

From your responses you just happen not to understand how a USB stick works or if your system does it how to just load songs from the stick onto the system. Those sticks are so cheap now you could buy the smaller capacity ones and put/arrange music on them just like you would on a CD. I didn't get the part about being distracted, you push play and it plays all the tracks if that's what you want. Want another set of songs, at a stop light pop in another stick.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I miss the CD player for the slot! In my previous vehicle, I used a phone/gps holder that fit in the CD slot snugly--it held the gps unit (I imagine that a few of you are rolling your eyes) or my phone in a convenient and secure location, did not take up any dash/windshield space. Am having a difficult time finding a place for the GPS unit that isn't on the top part of the dash or windshield--the vent holders aren't robust enough for a GPS unit.

CD player has been helpful on roadtrips to listen to books on CD from the library--I think these have been the only CDs that we have played in our vehicles (not my Soul though) in the past 10 years.

An inexpensive but awkward solution would be to get a portable CD player with a power adapter and a male-to-male audio cable and plug one end in the headphone output, the other to the "aux" input between the two power plugs (formerly known as cigarette lighter plugs in a politically/socially incorrect time). The title and track will not show up on the screen, nor will the buttons on the radio control track selection/skip/etc.

I have a ton of music on my older phone with 64GB storage that I play via bluetooth. The majority of the digital music that we have came from CDs that we have purchased (our adult offspring don't understand why anyone would need to purchase physical music, they just subscribe to either free or paid music services). Although I am old school I have to admit that music from a phone or usb stick is convenient. Accompanying the old school habits are old school ears which can no longer perceive the difference between mp3 format vs virgin vinyl.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
CD player has been helpful on roadtrips to listen to books on CD from the library--I think these have been the only CDs that we have played in our vehicles (not my Soul though) in the past 10 years.
One of the largest retailers on earth specializes in audio digital books.... It's how they started. ;) Maybe not every library but the ones here have audio digital books also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts