Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove to Las Vegas from San Diego and on interstates 15 and 215 there are a few slopes that are between 5 and 20 miles.

The only way to maintain a speed of 65-70 is have the RPMs at 3,500.

Is that bad for the engine on a Kia Soul or for any other vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the 2.0L with the five speed for three years and that's about the RPM it runs at when cruising those speeds in 5th gear, so, you should be fine. The only thing it's going to damage is your gas mileage. As long as you're not hauling a 3000 pound trailer with two clam shells on the roof while screaming down the highway in second gear you should be fine. :p

Seriously, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had the 2.0L with the five speed for three years and that's about the RPM it runs at when cruising those speeds in 5th gear, so, you should be fine. The only thing it's going to damage is your gas mileage. As long as you're not hauling a 3000 pound trailer with two clam shells on the roof while screaming down the highway in second gear you should be fine. :p

Seriously, don't worry about it.
I am not sure when the vehicle is in fifth gear.

When I am cruising at 70 on a flat road, the RPM is around 2,750.

It just feels like I am taxing the engine at 3,500.

·
Registered
115 Posts
+1 on everyone else's recommendation to not worry.

I've noticed that my 2012 ! will shift to higher gears very quickly, and is quite quiet at lower revs. You're probably just noticing a little more sound and buzz at 3500 RPM (it's probably dropped down to 5th or 4th to deal with the hill), but I'm sure it's not hurting anything - Kia couldn't provide a 100K mile engine warranty otherwise!

And as a point of comparison, most motorcycle engines happily live their lives revving between 5000-10,000 RPM, with some pushing 15,000!

Relax and enjoy the ride!
Rob in HMB
'12 Shadow !
'02 Bandit 1200
'00 BMW 740iL

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts

you have a six speed transmission, would help if you could add to your DRIVES profile whether you have a manual or automatic, particular when we are talking about something like this.

On my automatic I observe about 2400 rpm at 110 kmph (68 mph) on a flat. Were you using cruise control at the time?

As stated by others it causes no problem to the engine as stated in your manual "Do not operate the engine within the tachometer's RED ZONE. This may cause severe engine damage" As you can see the redline is around 6500 rpm so you are not even close.

The vehicle can run 24 hours a day seven days a week at 3500 rpm, it will just be more noisy and as mentioned will make your mileage suffer a bit. This would apply to any make of vehicle.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Running your car in any other gear than "drive" has traditionally been a no-no due to the lack of a converter lock on all gears but the top gear. When the torque converter isn't locked, it creates a lot of heat and it can over heat a transmission's cooling system if driven long distances at high speeds like that.

But, does this apply to the Soul? I don't know, but there is nothing in the manual stating that maintaining highway speed in any other gear besides 6th is not recommended.

·
Registered
751 Posts

Pull the shifter over to the left (sport mode) and the gage cluster that normally displays a "D", will show a number. That is what gear you are in.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know if it is from the instinct I have from growing up driving a manual, or riding my motorcycle, but I always know what gear I am in with my automatic vehicles. My mind just automatically counts the up revs, it is a total automatic pilot effect. The Soul is not loud and shifts soft, which makes it quite more difficult to sense. But yes, it would be nice to have some sort of visual indicator without being in sport mode!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Running your car in any other gear than "drive" has traditionally been a no-no due to the lack of a converter lock on all gears but the top gear.
Actually, I think that 3rd gear and up have the torque converter lock up.

And as far as 3,500 RPM taxing you engine, it's actually worse for your engine to lug it at 2,000 up a hill. 3,500 RPM is a GOOD thing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I drove to Las Vegas from San Diego and on interstates 15 and 215 there are a few slopes that are between 5 and 20 miles. The only way to maintain a speed of 65-70 is have the RPMs at 3,500. Is that bad for the engine on a Kia Soul or for any other vehicle?
Shouldn't be a problem at all. One of my other vehicles (smart fortwo) is a 5 speed and is geared lower for city driving, but I'll run it in 3rd-4th gear up Interstate grades here in the Appalachians at 4,000 - 4,500 RPMs to maintain speed. Keep up with your oil changes and use the right grade oil and you should be good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm driving a 12' manual with 1.6 engine, and it's about 3300 RPM at 75 MPH at 6th gear. When going uphill and having to down shift to 3rd gear (for example from Phoenix to Flagstaff), the rev is even much much higher. On the trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, my MDX even had to downshift to 2nd gear and rev to 4000~5000 RPM.

The redline of Soul is pretty high. So, 3500 RPM is definite normal on freeway....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts