Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 soul base m/t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owe more than the cars worth currently and the clutch is on its way out. I don’t know if I should take the loss with trading it in or put in a new clutch. It’s been well maintained and runs good as far as I know. I don’t know which way to lean here. I don’t know the reliability of these engines past 100,000 miles and it does consume some oil

·
Registered
907 Posts
If it weren't consuming oil, I'd take the chance and pop in a new clutch. With oil loss, that's more of a gamble than I'd be comfortable making. If you do the new clutch regardless, simply increase your oil viscosity to reduce or eliminate loss.

Greg

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,867 Posts
I owe more than the cars worth currently and the clutch is on its way out. I don’t know if I should take the loss with trading it in or put in a new clutch. It’s been well maintained and runs good as far as I know. I don’t know which way to lean here. I don’t know the reliability of these engines past 100,000 miles and it does consume some oil
How much oil is it consuming? At 100,000+ miles that's not alarming unless it's a lot. Greg gives great advice to up your oil weight and replace your PCV valve.

When Is Engine Oil Consumption Considered Excessive? James on Engines #6

Cars.com: Once an engine gets beyond perhaps 75,000 miles, and certainly past 100,000, increased oil consumption should be expected. ... Because these oils are thinner, it's easier for them to slip past gaskets, seals and rings that have worn even slightly over time, thus increasing oil consumption.

Even Toyota Burns Oil | Excessive Engine Oil Consumption. Toyota owners with models such as Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Rav4, Solara, Scion xB and tC equipped with the four-cylinder 2AZ-FE engine may experience excessive oil consumption. ... As oil is burned at a high rate, the engine may need oil every couple of weeks. Oct 22, 2018

·
Registered
206 Posts
So you're asking whether to spend 700 bucks on a clutch or dump a car and get upside down on a newer car that will take years to pay off?

Keep the oil and fluids and filters changed until at least you get your payment down to below what you owe then consider a trade or just pay it off. Cars drive so good when you don't owe anything on them.

Remember, you'll still pay for that clutch if you trade the car in. It will be rolled into your new payment.

·
Registered
2014 soul base m/t
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you're asking whether to spend 700 bucks on a clutch or dump a car and get upside down on a newer car that will take years to pay off?

Keep the oil and fluids and filters changed until at least you get your payment down to below what you owe then consider a trade or just pay it off. Cars drive so good when you don't owe anything on them.

Remember, you'll still pay for that clutch if you trade the car in. It will be rolled into your new payment.
Where are you finding $700 clutch replacements?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Regarding car repair prices, it amazes me seeing many online "estimates". My DC area costs are always 3 to 5 times more than any estimate I've seen. $500 repair? Nope, $2,000. Unbelievable.

Greg

·
Registered
607 Posts
You want to come help?
Not a job I'd tackle. But I would go ahead and pay to replace the clutch if needed.
If it breaks, you aren't going anywhere.

If I was feeling bold, or broke, I might tackle a motorcycle clutch. But those are usually right there on the side of the engine.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
265 Posts
I have not done it.

But elsewhere, do-it-yourself enthusiasts replace clutches. Strikes me as less complicated than replacing a timing chain or timing chain guides. In the 4X4 world, folks fix timing chains.

It all depends on how much time and effort one is willing to invest.

That said, if the vehicle is in relatively good shape paying a mechanic to fix the clutch has to be the cost-effective path relative to selling it and buying a new one. Clutches are wear items.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Does it require removing the trans or other major disassembly? I'm guessing yes, which is why I would not try it myself.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Does it require removing the trans or other major disassembly? I'm guessing yes, which is why I would not try it myself.
Yes, the transaxle has to be removed.

Frankly, if a reputable shop can do it for $700.00, I'd let them do it before doing it in my driveway.

Richard

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yes, the transaxle has to be removed.
There you go.
I have way more tools than a guy who does not work with tools for a living probably needs.
But nothing to allow me to deal with removing something that big.
What? A hoist, or big azz floor jack?

Not to mention I would not know how to do it.
$700 sounds like a pretty good deal.
But to some extent it depends if you have more money or more time.
I'd rather do some extra work that I get paid for and hand off the headache to someone else.
Especially for my daily driver.

Your motivation may vary.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
There you go.
I have way more tools than a guy who does not work with tools for a living probably needs.
What? A hoist, or big azz floor jack?

Not to mention I would not know how to do it.
$700 sounds like a pretty good deal.
But to some extent it depends if you have more money or more time.
I'd rather do some extra work that I get paid for and hand off the headache to someone else.
Especially for my daily driver.

Your motivation may vary.
For me, it comes down to how sore I'll be and for how long.

Richard

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've only changed one clutch at home. I bought a Horizon for $120 knowing it needed one. It ran and drove but was noticably slipping in 5th above 40mph. One stout piece of pipe across the fenders with a few chains to hold the motor and one ordinary floor jack to support the tranny. That was before Harbor Freight. If I were ever unfortunate enough to do it again I'd spring for a new engine hoist and a transmission jack.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I like HF. I have bought tools for one specific job.
This looks like at least $300 for those 2 things.
2 things that I would probably use once and then have to push around the garage ever after.
Or sell for $100. :unsure:

Also depends on how inclined you are to do this kind of work.

·
Registered
2014 Soul+ Bright Silver (Sterling Soul)
416 Posts
For me, it comes down to how sore I'll be and for how long.

Richard
⬆⬆⬆
This!!! 😁
I rodded my kitchen sink a few weeks ago and was sore for a week afterwards. The underneath of kitchen sinks must have been designed by circus contortionists.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like HF. I have bought tools for one specific job.
This looks like at least $300 for those 2 things.
2 things that I would probably use once and then have to push around the garage ever after.
Or sell for $100. :unsure:

Also depends on how inclined you are to do this kind of work.
buy them used... I see plenty of them for sale... (someone bought it, used it once or twice and is tired of moving it around the garage) you can get your money back if you buy it right...
you can also rent them... but I find the rentals to be over priced, (and then you're rushing to take it back)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2010 manual trans, 124,000 miles, first owner. Me personally, I would repair it, but that's just how much I still love mine. I will never sell it and it is my daily driver. I personally don't like the newer Souls.
You don't sound too sure because you said it runs good as far as you know, and you still owe on it. Guessing you are not first owner.
They are good cars, you also have to consider good on the richter scale also means cheaper to maintain. That mileage on yours is nothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts