Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have had my Soul for a year and have had no problems with voice recognition with my iPhone 4 - I would press the call button, say "call [name]" and all was fine.

I just got the iPhone 4S and when I say "call [name]" it no longer recognizes the name I say and comes back with a completely different name - e.g., if I say "call John Smith on mobile" it will come back and say "calling Pete Brown on mobile."

I'm curious if this has anything to do with the iPhone's new "Siri" voice recognition. I set it to "off" on the phone and still have the same issue.

I can use Siri and it works fine to make calls through the handsfree in the car, but I don't like having to handle the phone while I am driving.

Anyone had the same issue or can think of a solution please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I haven't tried that - but I think all contacts are in same order as old phone - but will try it on the way home tonight.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello - I have had my Soul for a year and have had no problems with voice recognition with my iPhone 4 - I would press the call button, say "call [name]" and all was fine.

I just got the iPhone 4S and when I say "call [name]" it no longer recognizes the name I say and comes back with a completely different name - e.g., if I say "call John Smith on mobile" it will come back and say "calling Pete Brown on mobile."

I'm curious if this has anything to do with the iPhone's new "Siri" voice recognition. I set it to "off" on the phone and still have the same issue.

I can use Siri and it works fine to make calls through the handsfree in the car, but I don't like having to handle the phone while I am driving.

Anyone had the same issue or can think of a solution please?

Thanks!
This has always been the case with my Kia Bluetooth + HTC Sensation (Android). I remember writing a post about it. No success with English language. Wrong number almost every single time. Finally I had to switch the language to Swedish to fix the problem. (Swedish because there is no Finnish language available. But Swedish is OK, blessings of living in a country that is officially bilingual ;) (Fin/Swe))

·
Registered
67 Posts
Funny you say this. I don't have a Soul (yet), but I just got the 4s as well.

I had Siri off when I first got the phone, and tried the voice recognition. I would say "call Home", and it would call Adam Peterson or something like that. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to understand me (and it's not me, my voice works fine in many other cars with voice recognition).

Finally, I turned on Siri, and guess what. I say "Call Home", and it calls home.

So I think the problem might be on the iPhone's end and not your Souls end.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2013 Soul! The bluetooth will not recognize my command to "call home". "Home" is a contact in my address book. Thanks for any help you can give. Phone is an Iphone 4S. Thanks

jis1, Jeff (KB8PIH)

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul Tarmac Edition
2 Posts
I have a 2012 Soul and 4s iPhone.
I have the same issue -- my voice recognition that worked with my Android no longer works through the steering wheel controls.
Now to use voice recognition I have to engage Siri on my phone. The plus side to that is that Siri will also read my texts so I know if something is urgent or not. Siri will also play music I have on my iPhone by launching the tunes.
However, I CAN answer phone calls and hang up using the hands free steering wheel controls.
It's an interesting change from how it used to be.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would un-pair all phones attached to the phone, this will clear the radios database, and add just the new phone. I haven't played with the Souls BT functions extensively, but with aftermarket radios, I have seen issues where the database get confused when multiple phones have the same contact names.
Give it a shot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just started having this problem as well. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. Now it doesn't know my contacts. I'm sure it's something with pairing so I'm going to try a fresh pair after work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wasn't sure how to do this.. but i unchecked sync contacts then turned it back on. Deleted the phone from the car system.. then paired it back and all is well. Thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts