Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello travelers - the other day I was driving through a tunnel (alternate route) and the interior lights dimmed. Naturally, it freaked me out. What's the logic for the senor dimming the interior lights? Wondering. Thanks

·
Registered
14,922 Posts
if you are talking about your instrument lighting then usually dim when the exterior lights go on. If you have the lights set on auto model (don't know which model of Soul you have) then this would be the case. It happens on mine and I have the auto light feature

·
Registered
457 Posts
Dimming the interior lights is a safety thing. This makes it easier to see further down the road in the dark by reducing glare on the glass and eye strain that bright interior lights can cause at night. Could be why the other interior lights are red too??

I noticed that when my headlights come on at dusk the dash lights stay bright until it gets dark then they will dim. At dawn, when it gets brighter the dash lights get brighter too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So what's happening is most likely what conwelpic described. When your headlights come on, your instrument cluster and other interior lighting will dim, so as not to blind you at night (they have to be bright during the day so you can see them). It appears you have your headlights set to auto. So when you enter the tunnel, the car sees that it's dark and turns on the headlights, which in turn dims your interior lighting. When you exit the tunnel, the car sees light, turns off the headlights, and interior lighting goes back to daytime mode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Same thing happens on phones and tablets. Cover the front facing camera sensor to simulate a dark room and you'll find that the screen gets dim. For the reasons stated above it totally makes sense...it preserves your night vision much more than if they left the brightness high.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts