Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, I have a 2010 Soul sport and I don't know if this problem has been posted before. About 3 months ago the interior drivers side map light went out thought it just burned out so I replaced it but it still didn't work if I press the switch it goes on but when the door is opened it won't go on. A few days after I replaced the bulb it started working again for about a week then went out again and has been doing that ever since and a couple of days ago I noticed that the passenger side map light is flickering. I googled the problem and found out it might be a diode, problem is the search brought up other Kia models not the Soul and their lights were not working at all when they opened their door. So my question is is it that diode and if it is where is it located so I can replace it.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Welcome. Cannot say as I have heard of this before, sound like an intermittent fault and the diode scenario that you talked of is completely plausible in that context. But then so is a loose fitting, a faulty ground, and a failing switch. Hopefully someone will know where The diode is located.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Some people refer to lamps as diodes just to confuse things.
The caravan I had developed similar problems with the low wattage 12 v. switches in the roof lamp switches. I put in lower power LED and made problem worse.
It will be your switches or possibly where the lamps clip in .
If You have festoons 1" long with cones at end they need to be shined with wet and dry paper.
Look carefully at element and flick watching to see if element makes and brakes
Clean the metal the cones clip back into ensuring there is plenty of tension onto cones when replaced.
I have not checked out switches on my car so do not know if serviceable they were not on my caravan. so just left them on and just used main power switch.
Any fault from door operation will proably be door switch or earth where it mounts.

Jeff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a very similar problem - with intermittent Map Reading Lamp operation when opening/closing/locking unlocking using the KeyFob.
Turned out to be nice and easy fix. The solder joints for the 2x Diodes within the Map Reading Lamp unit had become contaminated and dry jointed.

Apply heat, resolder and problem solved !!! :)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts