Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
This has been cussed and discussed before. In park or neutral you cannot rev your engine past 'About' 2k rpm. Revving up any engine, with no load on it, is very harmful, and your KIA Soul is smarter than you are, evidently, because it won't let you destroy it.

On the coldest days we've had here, at or even below freezing, my heater is blowing HOT air before I can get out of my neighborhood.
If yours won't, stop griping about it, and go get it fixed. That's what warranties are for.

Cheers!
FLH :cool:
The warranty don't do you much good unless the dealer is willing to listen to you. I have complained many times and they always say it is normal. the engine does not have a thermostat, temperature is computer controlled. The next nearest dealer in my State is 100 miles away. Never will buy another Kia.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 + Do you have automatic climate control? If so turn it off and set every thing manual. I used to crank temp control to max to get auto to work well. Finally turned it off and control all manually.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Manual control will roast you out with temp at max. I live near Syracuse, NY so it gets cold here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My heater is great in my 2017+.

12 degrees the other morning and in about 10 minutes, mine was blowing as hot as any other car I've ever had.... Had to turn it down quite a bit on the way to work, no complaints.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
72 Posts
Here is a video of the phenomenon. I do not know how to post a video here so it is on twitter..

note that the tach does go up towards the end of the video. Out of curiosity, I blipped my accel only once and it does rev to about 1100. I would be really interested to see what happens if he would press the pedal a little slower. On a few occasions when coasting in traffic approaching a stoplight, i have failed to select a gear and attempted to start accelerating because the light changed. I usually catch my mistake at about 3500 rpm when the exhaust changes note.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drove about 5 miles to the Pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions in the drive through at Walgreens. It is a very cold morning, in the 20s. Keep in mind, I exited the 50 degree garage where the Kia sleeps. As I was sitting in park in the drive through I was thinking how badly this heater sucks in this car, this was after I was thinking how shitty the stereo was on my drive.... Feeling the vents, the air was luke warm at best. So I figured I would blip the throttle a few times and see if the heat picked up a bit as it should. Well, nothing happened. The Tach never moved, the engine never revved...nothing. If I pushed it very slowly I could get the engine to rev a bit. Give this a try next time you are in your car. Put it in park or neutral and stop the gas fast and off fast. Never had a car do this. I assume is it some sort of protection for the engine. My Dad would have really appreciated having that on the 351 Cleveland I had to drive in my youth....lol
Mine heater works fine in Anchorage Alaska?

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
124 Posts
My engine revs
The warranty don't do you much good unless the dealer is willing to listen to you. I have complained many times and they always say it is normal. the engine does not have a thermostat, temperature is computer controlled. The next nearest dealer in my State is 100 miles away. Never will buy another Kia.
I thought every gas engine auto has a thermostat? Anybody know?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just because there may be a digital component doesn't mean there's not a thermostat. If there is coolant there must be a thermostat to control its flow.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts