Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove about 5 miles to the Pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions in the drive through at Walgreens. It is a very cold morning, in the 20s. Keep in mind, I exited the 50 degree garage where the Kia sleeps. As I was sitting in park in the drive through I was thinking how badly this heater sucks in this car, this was after I was thinking how shitty the stereo was on my drive.... Feeling the vents, the air was luke warm at best. So I figured I would blip the throttle a few times and see if the heat picked up a bit as it should. Well, nothing happened. The Tach never moved, the engine never revved...nothing. If I pushed it very slowly I could get the engine to rev a bit. Give this a try next time you are in your car. Put it in park or neutral and stop the gas fast and off fast. Never had a car do this. I assume is it some sort of protection for the engine. My Dad would have really appreciated having that on the 351 Cleveland I had to drive in my youth....lol

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
124 Posts
I agree with you the heater is not strong. Many year ago I had a Chevy that had a weak heater. A mechanic put in a thermostat with a higher number and that solved the problem.
When I go out later I'll give my car the test you mentioned.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you the heater is not strong. Many year ago I had a Chevy that had a weak heater. A mechanic put in a thermostat with a higher number and that solved the problem.
Never tested cold...keep that in mind...Mine was up to operating temp. I will have to do that at next cold start....Not a habit of mine

·
Registered
2020 White EX Soul With Designer Package
124 Posts
I had mine all warmed up and put it in park and stepped on the gas and the engine revved and tack went up.
I'm in Florida so the heater is okay. But if I were still in Boston I would have a new thermostat with a higher number put in. You can do t yourself. It's only two bolts holding it in. Try it, they are only like $10. If it don't help put the factory one back in. A new gasket is needed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had mine all warmed up and put it in park and stepped on the gas and the engine revved and tack went up.
I'm in Florida so the heater is okay. But if I were still in Boston I would have a new thermostat with a higher number put in. You can do t yourself. It's only two bolts holding it in. Try it, they are only like $10. If it don't help put the factory one back in. A new gasket is needed.
Did you blip it fast on and off?

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX manual
63 Posts
My heater (LX Base, 6 speed) is superb. It takes a couple of miles to hit temperature, but produces a ton of heat when it gets there.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have no problem with the heat in mine, just set the temp and forget it. My 2016 also had an excellent heater. It is needed as it gets bloody cold in Ottawa during the winter.

Pat.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a problem for me either...it's my wife's car....lol My Car can cook an egg...

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was 24
Yeah, I dunno. I enjoy the base trim and after all the research I did before buying, I'm pretty comfortable saying the base trim is a great car for the price but if I was going to spend 24k on a car I would have purchased something else. The Kia Soul is designed to keep the base trim cheap because they understand the Soul's sweet spot in the market--and the top trims get whatever extras they can make work with that.

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX with 3 pedals!
72 Posts
when my lx is in park* or neutral* and blip the accelerator the engine revs. Also despite some opinions on this board, it will rev all the way to 4,500+ rpm. As far as the heat, it will start to roast me in 4 miles of driving starting out cold on a freezing day.**

*park refers to parking brake engaged, and neutral implies no fwd or rev gear selected.
•• We rarely see the high 20’s but we see several frosts every year.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
when my lx is in park* or neutral* and blip the accelerator the engine revs. Also despite some opinions on this board, it will rev all the way to 4,500+ rpm. As far as the heat, it will start to roast me in 4 miles of driving starting out cold on a freezing day.**

*park refers to parking brake installed, and neutral implies no fwd or rev gear selected.
•• We rarely see the high 20’s but we see several frosts every year.
We do get pretty good Mpg in town...high 20s all the time....Sub-freezing a lot. Now on the highway, 32ish. No where near what some report on this forum.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It doesn’t get truly cold here, but just below freezing the heater is fine, in fact I have to turn it down to halfway otherwise it gets uncomfortably hot.
The problem is that it takes a fair while to warm up, this is not necessarily a thermostat issue, it can simply be a thicker walled engine block. Back when he was a student a friend of mine had a Neon that heated up super fast, we thought that was great until we discovered it had a thin wall block.
I typically let the car warm for a minute or two before I drive away but even then the heater is not up to full power after a further 5 miles/minutes of driving. 5 minutes after that and I’m turning it down though...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
This has been cussed and discussed before. In park or neutral you cannot rev your engine past 'About' 2k rpm. Revving up any engine, with no load on it, is very harmful, and your KIA Soul is smarter than you are, evidently, because it won't let you destroy it.

On the coldest days we've had here, at or even below freezing, my heater is blowing HOT air before I can get out of my neighborhood.
If yours won't, stop griping about it, and go get it fixed. That's what warranties are for.

Cheers!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you notice it did not move at all?
In regards to the heat. I have automatic climate control and when on it doesn't heat or cool as i would like. When I turn it off I have better control and have no problem with heating or cooling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Drove about 5 miles to the Pharmacy to pick up some prescriptions in the drive through at Walgreens. It is a very cold morning, in the 20s. Keep in mind, I exited the 50 degree garage where the Kia sleeps. As I was sitting in park in the drive through I was thinking how badly this heater sucks in this car, this was after I was thinking how shitty the stereo was on my drive.... Feeling the vents, the air was luke warm at best. So I figured I would blip the throttle a few times and see if the heat picked up a bit as it should. Well, nothing happened. The Tach never moved, the engine never revved...nothing. If I pushed it very slowly I could get the engine to rev a bit. Give this a try next time you are in your car. Put it in park or neutral and stop the gas fast and off fast. Never had a car do this. I assume is it some sort of protection for the engine. My Dad would have really appreciated having that on the 351 Cleveland I had to drive in my youth....lol
You didn't say what year it is but my 2020 has the poorest heater I have ever seen in a car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts