Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2011, bought it new white tiger addition Soul, auto, put a doug thorley axle back exhaust, k&n drop air filter, modifed the air box to also draw air from lower inner front fender area, right after i bought it. now i have 30,000 miles on my soul. i live in northern NJ.
since new i have had the ECO switched on, average 30 mpg on (87 octane) give or take a few mpg's.
starting early this year (march) i started hearing a valve pinging not much, more when it got hotter out with the AC on, still maintaining 30, tried higher octane still pinged, i decided to try turning the ECO setting off, NO MORE PINGING, and now have been getting 31plus mpg's!

also during this i tried a Lucas gas additive to help clean the valves and injectors, did not reallaly help the pinging at all.

anyone else try ECO off with this result?

·
Registered
456 Posts
The ECO mode on the 2011's were just an advisory light. If you were driving "ECO friendly" the light would stay on and if not it would go off. Turning it off only turned off the light

The 2012 and newer have an Active ECO mode which actually changes the way the car changes gears and runs other systems.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
jesus.

it is JUST a light on the 2010-2011s.

It does not alter your engine or transmission at ALL.

that is ONLY with the ACTIVE eco on the 2012s and 13s.

Read. Your. Manual.

[sent from the squat rack...]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Turned eco off on my 2012. Shifts MUCH better, takes the hills easier and seems to be even more zippy than I imagined.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I commute about 70km every day for work and when first got the car I always had the 'active eco' turned on - essentially it retards the throttle response and lowers your shift points so the car behaves much like it's being driven by an 80 year old woman. I didn't notice much of a difference in fuel economy.. but what I didn't like is how it made the car behave, I work in the heart of down town in a highly populated city - navigating traffic is interesting at best. I found the lagging throttle response and low shift points (not allowing the gear to rev out) almost to the point of being dangerous. I'd pull out into traffic and the car barely accelerated, I'd go to change lanes and felt the same thing... it was only a matter of time before someone driving too fast or too aggressively made my soul a hood ornament. So I turned it off and now I can navigate the downtown racetrack like a champ.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I commute about 70km every day for work and when first got the car I always had the 'active eco' turned on - essentially it retards the throttle response and lowers your shift points so the car behaves much like it's being driven by an 80 year old woman. I didn't notice much of a difference in fuel economy.. but what I didn't like is how it made the car behave, I work in the heart of down town in a highly populated city - navigating traffic is interesting at best. I found the lagging throttle response and low shift points (not allowing the gear to rev out) almost to the point of being dangerous. I'd pull out into traffic and the car barely accelerated, I'd go to change lanes and felt the same thing... it was only a matter of time before someone driving too fast or too aggressively made my soul a hood ornament. So I turned it off and now I can navigate the downtown racetrack like a champ.
Agree with this.

I am not sure when the best time to use ECO is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I leave Active ECO on 99% of the time. Of course, throttle response and shift points don't really matter if it's in 6th gear cruising at 50-55 mph most of the time. The speed limits on the roads I drive to work are 55 or 45, so even 50 is speeding. I don't have any real city driving, just a long two lane commute. So, it works in my situation, but I can see how others might find it annoying in city driving.

Regarding the OP's point though, I agree with others that say there is no difference on pre 2012 models since the Eco function on those Souls didn't do anything to alter the vehicles performance characteristics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
On the freeway to work, my Soul will downshift multiple places with ECO off, in cruise control. With ECO on, it doesn't. ECO yields better gas mileage on those trips because of that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
ECO shift points

I cannot say for sure but think that the Canadian models have a different ECO arrangement than the US models from what I read. Here is why I think, well
actually feel, that way. When I am using ECO, and get off the highway, back into town or suburban traffic, I find the shifts clunky and clumsy as if they are done at too low an RPM with the trans ( 2011 Soul 4U Auto) shifting UP too soon, and DOWN too late, so when I get off the hiway, I drop out of ECO mode.

On my last trip through some hilly roads at lower speeds I also dropped it out of ECO mode, and liked the way it shifted a lot better.......... Sooo, This is
why I think the Canadian Models in 2011 actually have an ECO mode that changes shift points.

I am glad we had this talk, LOL. Now I will have to NOTE whether what I actually THINK or FEEL is happening, is REALLY happening.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting difference between manual shift mode and auto. On the freeway, when using the cruise control on some small hill climbs in auto mode, the car will downshift to 5th. If I put it in manual mode, on the same hill, it will pop out of lockup but not downshift and still has enough power to climb hill without losing speed. Need to run some side by side comparison to see which uses more fuel...lugging more in 6th, or revving more in 5th.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts