Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having a conversation with someone who states he has an intake cleaning performed about every 15k miles.
Says he notices a significant performance/mileage increase when he does. (Owns a GM vehicle b.t.w.)
I'm wondering if any soul owners follow this rational and/or have done it/had it done and with what results?
With about 55k on the clocks our soul runs as well as the day we bought it.
In my old age and infinite wisdom I've adapted the "if it aint broken don't fix it" mentality to make my golden years...well golden.
I do add an occasional bottle of techtron to the fuel but little more than that.
Just wondering what the general populous thinks/does regarding intake maintenance.
Running the stock air filter & box b.t.w.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I was having a conversation with someone who states he has an intake cleaning performed about every 15k miles.
Says he notices a significant performance/mileage increase when he does. (Owns a GM vehicle b.t.w.)
I'm wondering if any soul owners follow this rational and/or have done it/had it done and with what results?
In my old age and infinite wisdom I've adapted the "if it aint broken don't fix it" mentality to make my golden years...well golden.
I do add an occasional bottle of techtron to the fuel but little more than that.
Just wondering what the general populous thinks/does regarding intake maintenance.
I am a firm believer in if ain't broke don't fix it. If it is running well don't worry about it. Most of these so called services are mostly snake oil anyway,just another way to lighten your wallet.

Pat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think intake cleaning wouldn't be about fixing something that isn't broken, but preventing something from breaking in the first place. If you don't want to worry about fixing something that isn't broken, don't worry about changing your oil any more. :laughonfloor Just like your oil, if you do nothing about it, your intake will get dirty and cause problems. It isn't necessarily something you need to spend a lot of money on though. I plan on getting a can of intake cleaner, made for these GDI engines, every 15k miles or so and doing it myself.

Greg

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Hmmm.....

I'm just sitting here wondering, 'Clean what' and if it's getting dirty, where is the dirt coming from?

For any dirt to get past the Engine Air Cleaner, that filter would have to be failing to do what it's supposed to do, and that is to trap dirt before it can get into the engine.
So if you're still using the OEM filters and having dirt problems, then maybe it's time to try a better filter. Eh?
NO dry filter is ever going to trap 100% of all dirt and ultra-fine dust.

I've done everything humanly possible (within reason) to keep my own engine clean and running at peak performance.

Every 3k miles, I change my oil, I put a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in the gas tank, and I take out my K&N Air Cleaner and wash it out and re-oil it using the special K&N Filter Oil.

Coming up on 60k miles, my engine is still running as good (or better) than it did on day one.
Preventive maintenance is always preferable to doing repairs. Having to do an intake system cleaning is definitely a "Repair".

Happy Trails, Mates

:cool:

·
Registered
468 Posts
What exactly does an intake cleaning involve? Vacuuming the intake box below the air filter?

Also--what does the fuel additive that is part of the periodic maintenance do? Most gas here has a bunch of proprietary additives added to the gas tankers at the refineries before they head off to the local gas stations. even the no name gas stations have gas with additives. I hope I didn't kick anyone's hornets nest.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
Also--what does the fuel additive that is part of the periodic maintenance do? Most gas here has a bunch of proprietary additives added to the gas tankers at the refineries before they head off to the local gas stations. even the no name gas stations have gas with additives. I hope I didn't kick anyone's hornets nest.
Kia specifies using an additive sold by dealers (which is apparently Techron, also available at auto parts stores) at every oil change if you don't use "Top Tier" gasoline. Top Tier is a certification as to the additive package. Most of the major brands are Top Tier. A station that doesn't sell Top Tier doesn't necessarily have poorer additives (there are a bunch of other requirements, like that all gasoline sold by that brand in all stations have the same additive package, and I expect a healthy fee as well) but it's hard to know. Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

In my owner's manual pg. 1-4 it says Top Tier (and presumably the aftermarket additive) "...helps prevent deposit formation... run cleaner and enhance performance of the Emission Control System".

Does using Techron more often (or if you use Top Tier gas) matter? I don't know. But some of the folks here like to do it. Me, I use Top Tier gas, and threw a bottle of Techron in at 15K. I'll probably go hog wild and do it again at 30K.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Kia specifies using an additive sold by dealers (which is apparently Techron, also available at auto parts stores) at every oil change if you don't use "Top Tier" gasoline. Top Tier is a certification as to the additive package. Most of the major brands are Top Tier. A station that doesn't sell Top Tier doesn't necessarily have poorer additives (there are a bunch of other requirements, like that all gasoline sold by that brand in all stations have the same additive package, and I expect a healthy fee as well) but it's hard to know. Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

In my owner's manual pg. 1-4 it says Top Tier (and presumably the aftermarket additive) "...helps prevent deposit formation... run cleaner and enhance performance of the Emission Control System".

Does using Techron more often (or if you use Top Tier gas) matter? I don't know. But some of the folks here like to do it. Me, I use Top Tier gas, and threw a bottle of Techron in at 15K. I'll probably go hog wild and do it again at 30K.
Thank you that helps a lot! I didn't realize that if we used top tier gas we can get a bye on the additives--although I will probably do the Techron at 30k

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hmmm.....

I'm just sitting here wondering, 'Clean what' and if it's getting dirty, where is the dirt coming from?
The dirt I was referring to is the oil deposits that make it past the PCV valve. This may have just been a problem for older GDI engines and newer designs may not have the same issue, but I haven't seen anything showing that Kia has made this design improvement (or that they haven't) but I think it best to err on the side of caution. I may be spending $13 and 30 minutes of my time for nothing, but it is mine to spend. If someone shows me that it is bad for my engine to clean the intake, I will definitely stop, but till then I will do it. To each his own.

Greg

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
The dirt I was referring to is the oil deposits that make it past the PCV valve. This may have just been a problem for older GDI engines and newer designs may not have the same issue, but I haven't seen anything showing that Kia has made this design improvement (or that they haven't) but I think it best to err on the side of caution. I may be spending $13 and 30 minutes of my time for nothing, but it is mine to spend. If someone shows me that it is bad for my engine to clean the intake, I will definitely stop, but till then I will do it. To each his own.

Greg
This is why I'm adding 2 catch cans, one for the PCV valve and the other for the breather. The biggest problem isn't the intake it's deposits on the intake valves.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm also thinking about a catch can. Just haven't decided which one would be best.

Greg

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
The biggest problems are figuring out where to mount it and picking the right size. I have a K&N CAI which freed up a nice spot for one for my PCV one. I'll probably get mine mounted this weekend.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The biggest problems are figuring out where to mount it and picking the right size. I have a K&N CAI which freed up a nice spot for one for my PCV one. I'll probably get mine mounted this weekend.
Which cans did you get? Where from? There are so many different ones out there, at vastly different prices, that it is hard to choose.

Hope to see some pics of your install soon, TnT.

Greg

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Which cans did you get? Where from? There are so many different ones out there, at vastly different prices, that it is hard to choose.

Hope to see some pics of your install soon, TnT.

Greg
I bought two basically these in silver, but they have an optional filter. I like the design, it has a baffle and lacks of the sight tube which can leak. These have a dipstick instead and is a copy of a Mishimoto catch can that they used to sell. Nice quality unit for the $$$.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universal-Black-Baffled-Aluminum-Oil-Catch-Tank-Can-Reservoir-Tank-with-9mm-15mm-Fittings-and-Oil/32777748473.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=829384684&albag=48097131728&slnk=&trgt=313354690488&plac=&crea=en32777748473&netw=s&device=c&mtctp=&gclid=CL3u0KPwz9QCFZm6wAodN7oBfg

198841d1419897653-oil-catch-can-install-ot-addw1-v1-blk-01.jpg

I'll be using real hose not the junk that comes with them and running them sealed instead of using the optional filter. I'm also going to add a splash baffle and some filter media to the baffle at some point too. They are a nice compact can that's much nicer then the $25.00 POS that are available on eBay. They come with fittings for PCV and breather hose applications.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Looks good. Definitely like the price! I'm glad you said you were using different hoses. Seems a lot of them out there use that same crappy hose. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Greg

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
266 Posts
I do it myself before every oil change. It's more fun.
I have only done the CRC intake valve treatment once but the engine did not smoke like that at all. In fact, there was hardly any white smoke at all.

Perhaps it is the frequent 'Italian tune-ups' on the steep hills in the region that keep the engine relatively clean?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have only done the CRC intake valve treatment once but the engine did not smoke like that at all. In fact, there was hardly any white smoke at all.

Perhaps it is the frequent 'Italian tune-ups' on the steep hills in the region that keep the engine relatively clean?
I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of it. I think the hills are good for an engine. There are some long, sustained hills around here where I have to keep the RPM around 4,000 - 4,500 for a couple of miles to maintain speed.

But also, I do the intake cleaning before every oil change, so there's less buildup to begin with. I'm not trying to solve a problem, but to prevent one. There's very little carbon in that smoke. There's also no noticeable difference in performance, oil consumption, or MPG after doing the treatment. But I've been doing it every oil change, so I wouldn't expect any. It's preventative, not remedial.

Richard

1 - 20 of 34 Posts