Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll post this here for reference, in case anybody else sees it down the line.

Started the car Saturday and it was running very rough, the instrument cluster was dead. No gauges, no lights, nothing. Shift interlock frozen, had to depress the release to get it out of park.

I shut it off and restarted it, ran smoothly but every gauge was dead, with no illumination. Gauge needles all reading at zero. No tach, gas gauge, temp gauge, odo display, or speedo. No startup diag lights, nada.

Radio works fine, all interior lights OK, AC and heater working fine. Door locks and remote lock/unlock OK. All power windows work fine. Turn signals, headlights, hazard flashers OK.

I got it out of park and hightailed it over to the dealer to drop it off , since they were still open on Sat. morning. I asked him to take a look at it when they could, I just wanted to get it there ASAP. Shifted fine and ran fine on the way there.

One thing of note: all the related fuses seem to be OK, but the rear defogger does not work. Since it is on the Multi-fuse, and I didn't have time to check that without taking it apart, I'm hoping that's the problem.

I will post back with update when they check it out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good thread. Thanks. I checked the obvious fuses, like cluster, brake light, and b/u lamp, along with a few others. They're all OK, or at least look OK. The dead rear defogger might point to the multi-fuse, but they're going to check it all out

I had it in about a year and half ago for a head unit issue, and they found a loose plug from factory. They reset that and it's been good since. Hopefully, this might be something equally simple.

I told the service writer that we could torch it and send it back to Korea for an autopsy if need be. Gotta keep a sense of humor.

My daughter has a new Hyundai Tucson (nice vehicle) and I've been sneaking glances at the new Sportages on the lot. :sneakiness:

I do like the new generation Souls, though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update

Just talked to dealer. The instrument cluster failed and has to be replaced. They were able to recover it long enough to get current mileage. They're ordering another one and sending it to a service that programs in the mileage from the old cluster. Otherwise, you get a sticker with old mileage and new cluster starts at zero.

Should be done by end of week. After doing some more reading, this seems to be an issue for some Hyundai/Kia vehicles, but not endemic enough to condemn the brand or the vehicle on the whole. They're making it good under warranty.

Don't get paranoid, but keep an eye on your electrics. I'm not soured on the vehicle. I've certainly seen other makers/models with their share of recalls and headaches. *cough* GM ignition recall/side curtain protection recall/power steering recall/shifter recall *cough* I own a Chevy HHR. I know about recalls. :tongue-new:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Thanks H'wagen for the follow up. It is funny how times have changed. The number 1 complaint about all brands of cars these days is electronic interface items. The mechanics of cars seem so good now, brakes, steering, engines from when I was younger.

But now they have more complex electronics & diagnostics, like an airplane almost. Just when they built a better mousetrap, they go and FUBAR it up.

Remember how FORD came roaring back with quality vehicles under Alan Mulally, then My Sync & a barrage of electronic problems knocked them back down to marginally reliable again.

Face it, we're driving a computer that happens to have a car attached these days :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm the opposite - In dash navigation with Satellite radio and back-up camera, auto lights, auto heating, delay wipers and lights, cruise control, traction control, TPMS and bluetooth, I now look for in a new car, in fact most are must.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah, those things are very nice to have, but it's like dominoes; one thing fails and disables a half dozen other components. I think it's a lot of us old gear heads who don't care whether they include all that stuff or not. I'd enjoy a stripped down version with the money spent on mechanicals like high output drive train and upgraded suspension.

For the most part, I think they all work acceptably well. Every auto maker is struggling to include as much whiz-bang as they can to get market share.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

All done, picked up this morning. They replaced the instrument cluster and it's good as new.

Biggest PITA was waiting to get the new cluster reprogrammed for mileage. He said they could have put the new one in at zero miles and put a dealer sticker on with original mileage, but that would be a resale hassle. I agreed, and I had something else to drive while it was down for service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My car wouldn't go into drive and the instrument cluster wasn't working in my car. So...google! Couldn't find much. So I checked the fuses, all fine. Decided I needed a new instrument cluster. So called to find prices. That was all bull. So I googled some more. Learned how to take the instrument panel out. Saw a video of an old dude that said sometimes the sensors get dirty. So, I had a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner I used on my old car. What the hell right? Couldn't hurt! Took my dash apart, pulled the cluster and sprayed it down. Waited a few minutes, Plugged it back in. BAM! Fixed! *High Five Self*

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
My car wouldn't go into drive and the instrument cluster wasn't working in my car. So...google! Couldn't find much. So I checked the fuses, all fine. Decided I needed a new instrument cluster. So called to find prices. That was all bull. So I googled some more. Learned how to take the instrument panel out. Saw a video of an old dude that said sometimes the sensors get dirty. So, I had a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner I used on my old car. What the hell right? Couldn't hurt! Took my dash apart, pulled the cluster and sprayed it down. Waited a few minutes, Plugged it back in. BAM! Fixed! *High Five Self*
I'm glad it worked for you!

Next time, however, you may want to consider electrical contact cleaner.

And by the way, welcome.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,432 Posts
Wouldn't the dealer have fixed it under warranty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE AND FIX!!!!

Ok I fixed the Issue....And its worth the Read if you have a KIA Soul... MINE is a 2012 KIA Soul with 58k. I will expand and tell everyone what happened and how too repair. THIS ISSUE IN MY BOOK IS A PROBLEM THAT WILL HAPPEN TO A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE KIA SOULS SO IT SHOULD BE BOOKED MARKED!!! ( I'm Not typing in bold to sound crazy or pissed but this is Important) AND YOU WILL SEE WHY I SAY THAT BUT IT HAS BEEN POSTED A GOOD AMOUNT ON HERE SO THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE IT WILL HAPPEN ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. Also I dont have a bumper to bumper warranty and was not shelling out a Crazy amount of money unless I had to....and you dont have too.

Ok if you look at when I started this thread it was a Sunday so the day before 2/06/2016 I drove the soul Normal errands and shopping because I live in NY on longisland ( Suffolk County) and we were going to have 29inches of snow and the temp dropped too in the teens and below that with windchill. So I Drove all day Saturday then on sunday I went around 1pm to start the soul to warm it up..I turned on the Soul and the Whole Cluster was black. All lights were out but the airbag light that came on for 2secs and went out. Then I tried to shift (to just see if that was the only Problem) and the interlock would not let me Shift. So I went straight to Google and found this forum. I posted the problem but looked at past post by Haamsterwagen and MT-ED. From reading all the posts I had a idea it was just the cluster but I checked all the fuses (all were Good) and the battery connections and they were tight and clean. Then I hit the hidden Interlock release button ( above the shifter is a little box that looks like you need a flat head screw driver to open) you pluck it off stick a thin screw driver, paperclip, or something thin to fit in the hole and Then it will UNLOCK. You will be able to put the soul in gear and Drive ( The soul should drive Normal) but if you put back in park it will lock AGAIN. SO while still reading the post a person ( Forum name: Aweebitsilly) stated he used electronic cleaning spray and it fixed the problem.

Band-aid fix or could fix the Problem:

1. I went, drove the soul to autozone... bought electric spray cleaner...came home.. Took out the cluster ( Very easy compared to other cars, I had alot of GM cars before this where you had to take the WHOLE DASH APART...to get to the cluster). There is a youtube video showing how to do it.. this is the link... Copy and paste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwLySkgHic

2. Once the cluster is out you spray the crap out of it....the spray came with that little straw to get into small spaces so you use that to get into the little vents...you hit all in the insides of the back of the cluster...to the point the liquid was pouring out of the other holes of the vented cluster. it takes a couple of seconds to do it...and you let it dry. After 6 hours ( For me) of letting it Air dry I plug the cluster back in AND IT WORKED. NO SHIFT LOCK the SOUL WORKED PERECTLY. So I knew it was the CLUSTER. BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON.

I have a check engine light checker and it can take codes off... so I scaned it and it stated the check engine light was for P0462 - Fuel level sensor (A) circuit Low. So I said I will go to the dealer the next Morning to check it out..SO bright MONDAY morning I went to my local kia dealer GENERATION KIA 4825 Sunrise Hwy, Bohemia, NY 11716 to see if I could get more info, See how much a new cluster is, and check the source of the light. I go there and poof there was TWO PEOPLE THERE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM...SO I am guessing this PROBLEM CAME ABOUT BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER BEING TOO COLD BUT I DONT KNOW...One guy his gauges all stopped but the mileage worked and the other lady had the same like me cluster blacked out. So I told them I fixed it...All the JAWS DROPPED and the service manager asked and acted like I was a mechanic and a rocket scientist...est so I then Sat down and they told me it would cost $119.20 each to check the cluster and to check the check engine light. I WAS LIKE WHAT? I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS ( with Both) AND WOULD PAY $240 FOR THEM TO TELL ME THE PROBLEM??? BUT I WAS TOLD I COULD TAKE THE $240 OFF THE BILL. SO the CLUSTER WOULD BE $690 PLUS THEY WILL SEND IT OUT TO KIA FOR AN EXTRA $120 TO PUT THE MILES I HAVE ON IT 58k MILES AND THAT WAS FOR JUST THE CLUSTER.... SO I DID THE FREE RECALLS THAT WAS OUT FOR MY '2012 SOUL AND HIGHTAILED IT OUT OF THERE.

TO FIX THE PROBLEM IF YOU CANT GET THE CLUSTER TO WORK...

You are going to need a new cluster...I went on Ebay, There were PLENTY!!!! ALLLLLL CHEEAAAPPP!!!! I bought one for $40 with FRRREEEE shipping. You follow the steps above with taking out the cluster and put the new one in ( ONE PUG IN THE BACK OF THE CLUSTER)and POOF THE CLUSTER WORKS AND NO SHIFT LOCK. The ONLY issue you may have is not having the correct mileage but in my case after spraying the electrical cleaner the cluster is still working a week later so I will keep the other as a spare.

SO TODAY ITS 2/17/2016 the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF AFTER A DAY... I DIDNT HAVE TO ERASE IT! and the cluster that I SPRAYED OUT is WORKING GREAT!!! I HAVE THE LOWER MILEAGE CLUSTER FROM EBAY AS A SPARE... TOTAL SPENT: ELECTRICAL CLEANER SPRAY $8.00 and NEW CLUSTER BOUGHT FOR KICKS $40. AT THE DEALER COST and what the other people PAYED ( unless they had low milage for a warranty or bumper to bumper) Order Cluster $690 then wait 2-days to come in, Then pay $120 to have the dealer ship out to kia to put ( your correct milage), and ONE hour shop hour. So TOTAL WOULD BE WHAT ALMOST A $1000 or in the high $900 range ..... HELLL NO!!! LMAO!

OVER ALL everthing worked out and THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!! I JUST WANTED TO POST FOR ALL YOU GUYS WHO WANT TO DO IT YOURSELF AND CHEAPER!!! Also I am very happy with my kia SOUL ...it is great on gas, and looks great, plus this fix was easy to do!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
UPDATE AND FIX!!!!

Ok I fixed the Issue....And its worth the Read if you have a KIA Soul... MINE is a 2012 KIA Soul with 58k. I will expand and tell everyone what happened and how too repair. THIS ISSUE IN MY BOOK IS A PROBLEM THAT WILL HAPPEN TO A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE KIA SOULS SO IT SHOULD BE BOOKED MARKED!!! ( I'm Not typing in bold to sound crazy or pissed but this is Important) AND YOU WILL SEE WHY I SAY THAT BUT IT HAS BEEN POSTED A GOOD AMOUNT ON HERE SO THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE IT WILL HAPPEN ONE TIME OR ANOTHER. Also I dont have a bumper to bumper warranty and was not shelling out a Crazy amount of money unless I had to....and you dont have too.

Ok if you look at when I started this thread it was a Sunday so the day before 2/06/2016 I drove the soul Normal errands and shopping because I live in NY on longisland ( Suffolk County) and we were going to have 29inches of snow and the temp dropped too in the teens and below that with windchill. So I Drove all day Saturday then on sunday I went around 1pm to start the soul to warm it up..I turned on the Soul and the Whole Cluster was black. All lights were out but the airbag light that came on for 2secs and went out. Then I tried to shift (to just see if that was the only Problem) and the interlock would not let me Shift. So I went straight to Google and found this forum. I posted the problem but looked at past post by Haamsterwagen and MT-ED. From reading all the posts I had a idea it was just the cluster but I checked all the fuses (all were Good) and the battery connections and they were tight and clean. Then I hit the hidden Interlock release button ( above the shifter is a little box that looks like you need a flat head screw driver to open) you pluck it off stick a thin screw driver, paperclip, or something thin to fit in the hole and Then it will UNLOCK. You will be able to put the soul in gear and Drive ( The soul should drive Normal) but if you put back in park it will lock AGAIN. SO while still reading the post a person ( Forum name: Aweebitsilly) stated he used electronic cleaning spray and it fixed the problem.

Band-aid fix or could fix the Problem:

1. I went, drove the soul to autozone... bought electric spray cleaner...came home.. Took out the cluster ( Very easy compared to other cars, I had alot of GM cars before this where you had to take the WHOLE DASH APART...to get to the cluster). There is a youtube video showing how to do it.. this is the link... Copy and paste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwLySkgHic

2. Once the cluster is out you spray the crap out of it....the spray came with that little straw to get into small spaces so you use that to get into the little vents...you hit all in the insides of the back of the cluster...to the point the liquid was pouring out of the other holes of the vented cluster. it takes a couple of seconds to do it...and you let it dry. After 6 hours ( For me) of letting it Air dry I plug the cluster back in AND IT WORKED. NO SHIFT LOCK the SOUL WORKED PERECTLY. So I knew it was the CLUSTER. BUT THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON.

I have a check engine light checker and it can take codes off... so I scaned it and it stated the check engine light was for P0462 - Fuel level sensor (A) circuit Low. So I said I will go to the dealer the next Morning to check it out..SO bright MONDAY morning I went to my local kia dealer GENERATION KIA 4825 Sunrise Hwy, Bohemia, NY 11716 to see if I could get more info, See how much a new cluster is, and check the source of the light. I go there and poof there was TWO PEOPLE THERE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM...SO I am guessing this PROBLEM CAME ABOUT BECAUSE OF THE WEATHER BEING TOO COLD BUT I DONT KNOW...One guy his gauges all stopped but the mileage worked and the other lady had the same like me cluster blacked out. So I told them I fixed it...All the JAWS DROPPED and the service manager asked and acted like I was a mechanic and a rocket scientist...est so I then Sat down and they told me it would cost $119.20 each to check the cluster and to check the check engine light. I WAS LIKE WHAT? I KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS ( with Both) AND WOULD PAY $240 FOR THEM TO TELL ME THE PROBLEM??? BUT I WAS TOLD I COULD TAKE THE $240 OFF THE BILL. SO the CLUSTER WOULD BE $690 PLUS THEY WILL SEND IT OUT TO KIA FOR AN EXTRA $120 TO PUT THE MILES I HAVE ON IT 58k MILES AND THAT WAS FOR JUST THE CLUSTER.... SO I DID THE FREE RECALLS THAT WAS OUT FOR MY '2012 SOUL AND HIGHTAILED IT OUT OF THERE.

TO FIX THE PROBLEM IF YOU CANT GET THE CLUSTER TO WORK...

You are going to need a new cluster...I went on Ebay, There were PLENTY!!!! ALLLLLL CHEEAAAPPP!!!! I bought one for $40 with FRRREEEE shipping. You follow the steps above with taking out the cluster and put the new one in ( ONE PUG IN THE BACK OF THE CLUSTER)and POOF THE CLUSTER WORKS AND NO SHIFT LOCK. The ONLY issue you may have is not having the correct mileage but in my case after spraying the electrical cleaner the cluster is still working a week later so I will keep the other as a spare.

SO TODAY ITS 2/17/2016 the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF AFTER A DAY... I DIDNT HAVE TO ERASE IT! and the cluster that I SPRAYED OUT is WORKING GREAT!!! I HAVE THE LOWER MILEAGE CLUSTER FROM EBAY AS A SPARE... TOTAL SPENT: ELECTRICAL CLEANER SPRAY $8.00 and NEW CLUSTER BOUGHT FOR KICKS $40. AT THE DEALER COST and what the other people PAYED ( unless they had low milage for a warranty or bumper to bumper) Order Cluster $690 then wait 2-days to come in, Then pay $120 to have the dealer ship out to kia to put ( your correct milage), and ONE hour shop hour. So TOTAL WOULD BE WHAT ALMOST A $1000 or in the high $900 range ..... HELLL NO!!! LMAO!

OVER ALL everthing worked out and THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!! I JUST WANTED TO POST FOR ALL YOU GUYS WHO WANT TO DO IT YOURSELF AND CHEAPER!!! Also I am very happy with my kia SOUL ...it is great on gas, and looks great, plus this fix was easy to do!
Thanks for your write-up. It's good when people come back and report the final resolution of a problem.

With reference to the items that I bolded, I'm wondering if you think it's possible that the problem was a "perfect storm" of factors that caused a bit of condensation inside the cluster, and that might have been resolved with nothing more than pulling the cluster and leaving it in a warm, dry place for a few hours.

Consider that the conditions favored condensation:

1. You live on Long Island, so there's always shore convection to consider.
2. A blizzard was forecast, so the regional humidity was very high.
3. You had driven the car the day before, presumably with the heat on, thus warming up the interior.
4. The outside temperature had dropped rapidly since then.
5. Several other people local to you reported the identical problem that you had.

The combination of factors leads me to wonder if perhaps the cluster design is such that the meteorological extremes during that period caused some water to condense inside the cluster in a way that it usually wouldn't. If that was the case, then possibly what you actually did with the cleaner was displace the water from most of the cluster, but possibly not all of it (hence the P0462 code).

If that's the case, then I wonder if pulling the cluster and letting it sit in the furnace room or some other warm, dry area for a day or so might not have worked just as well. Or for the truly lazy, maybe parking the car in a garage for a couple of days with the hood and windows open and as many electric heaters as the garage circuits could handle pumping away at full blast to both warm and dry the air would have worked.

I'm not doubting that what you did worked. I'm wondering why. The contact cleaner does, of course, clean contacts. But it also displaces moisture. If it was the latter effect that cured the problem, then I think that hot, dry air would be a less drastic solution for other owners who experience the same problem.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wrote the same in another thread, but...

There were at least two reports on our local forum on cluster fail after hard car wash. And the problem went of itself when the cluster was dried enough.

Thus I agree with the thought that the issue is the condensation due to rapid temperature fall down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Same issue, instrument cluster dead on 2012 Kia Soul, won't shift out of park. Took instrument cluster apart, sprayed contacts on pin connector with contact cleaner, let dry. Done. Works fine now!

Al

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
361 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! Same issue, instrument cluster dead on 2012 Kia Soul, won't shift out of park. Took instrument cluster apart, sprayed contacts on pin connector with contact cleaner, let dry. Done. Works fine now!

Al
Welcome to the forum w/info you needed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts