Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, fellow Soul forum members!

Please forgive me, if this is an ignorant question, but I haven't been able to find much info on these forums (I'm a new member, by the way).

We just took delivery of a brand-new 2018 Soul +. The car has every conceivable bell and whistle ... except an auto-dimming rearview mirror. I find this quite odd, but it is what it is.

As such, I'm hoping to install one myself. The part (No. B2062-ADU01), which also has HomeLink and a compass, is easy to find online, and it's not prohibitively expensive. However, the ease of installation concerns me. Some people believe the harness is pre-wired in all the Soul models, and it's already buried in the headliner within some "gunky" black tape. Others say you have to use the harness kit provided with the mirror to tap into the fuse box area and route wires through the A-pillar and headliner.

If the car is, indeed, pre-wired for something like this, I'm comfortable with the installation (not so much with the second approach).

Can anyone shed some insight into this matter?

Has anyone performed such an install (perhaps, I'm overlooking some "obvious" ways of easily tapping into some overhead console wires)??

Many thanks, in advance, and you folks are awesome!! :joyous:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Always watched these diy and wondered, why not just tap the map lights? Should be much easier to remove the lights than deal with a pillar, ton of wires, airbag and fuses..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my initial thought, too, HaimBond.

However, I realized the map lights are powered by a constant 12V line, so the mirror would always remain on. The sunroof wiring might be another option, as that's controlled by switched 12V.

At the end of the day, I'm still hoping to find out whether the factory pre-wires the harness and simply "tucks" it away into the headliner (as several people have told me). That would be the easiest approach! LOL

Always watched these diy and wondered, why not just tap the map lights? Should be much easier to remove the lights than deal with a pillar, ton of wires, airbag and fuses..

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
In earlier models the wiring is not there it must all be installed with the wiring provided. There is a thread here of someone who posted about doing it though it was a 2014 or so model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If the link don't work you can get the instructions online and browse it beforehand. It's pretty straight forward. Just a few words to hook up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy Easter Msrfrog (and rest of forum members)!

Thank you so much for the helpful reply and very informative link.

Indeed, the conflicting reports -- even from Kia dealers, themselves -- about the pre-wiring are driving me batty. I suppose, I won’t know ‘til I open up the overhead console. LOL

The electrochromatic (EC) mirror I ordered also has HomeLink, so I presume there will be a third wire to tap ... a constant 12V?

This Gen 2 installation does seem to be a tad bit easier than the Gen 1 ones I’ve come across on this forum no sill plate removal, and less dash panel removals). The only thing that concerns me is the A-pillar removal. The tether clip seems straightforward (you destroy it, basically), but it’s the other two retaining clips that worry me. In the past, it seemed no matter which nylon pry tools I used, nor how careful I was, theses “Christmas tree” clips always seem to get destroyed on any car I worked on, and the trim never seems to fit like new! :(

Have you ever removed this A-pillar? If so, any pointers you can provide me?? LOL

Finally, what are your thoughts about T-tapping into the sunroof wiring harness (I think ground, constant 12V, and switched 12V should all be in that overhead harness)? I think the EC mirror doesn’t draw all that much current, so the load on the sunroof wiring shouldn’t be all that increased.

Thanks so much for your time, and have a great day!! :peaceful:

If the link don't work you can get the instructions online and browse it beforehand. It's pretty straight forward. Just a few words to hook up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Id leave the pillar trim in place and tuck the wire in just move the weather strip. . Most installers do it this way. If you have the required 12v switched and constant in the sun roof wire then it should be fine.
The instructions are written to wire or that way probably for the fact different trim levels can be wired the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome ... once again, you've really provided some really helpful information, Msrfrog, and I truly appreciate it (it's good to know the sunroof back-up plan will work)!! :eagerness:

Id leave the pillar trim in place and tuck the wire in just move the weather strip. . Most installers do it this way. If you have the required 12v switched and constant in the sun roof wire then it should be fine.
The instructions are written to wire or that way probably for the fact different trim levels can be wired the same.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just installed one last weekend. Just follow the included directions. The hardest part is probably tucking the wire behind the headliner. There’s a harness connector for several wires. Make sure you line that up next to the raised part where the overhead lights are. The rest is just having the courage and faith in your skills to do it yourself. Just take your time and be thorough with every step. It’s not that hard. When you get the lower dash disassemble, tuck the wires where they seem most logical to you. They don’t quite look like they do in he included diagrams. Otherwise, it’s not all that difficult.

GOOD LUCK!

Sean

PS - Go to Autozone or some other automotive store, and buy yourself a nice set of nylon door trim removal tools. Saves you tons of time and countless headaches!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts