Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

What should I use to finish my enclosure?

• Carpet it.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Cover it with fabric.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Paint. Sand. Paint. Sand. Paint. Sand. repeat.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • All natural wood look!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Youre insane...

Votes: 7 28.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished putting it all together and it sounds great! Kicker L7 15" in a 3.5 cu ft box ported and tuned to 40hz.. Running off two Kenwood KAC9102D amps at 500 watts RMS per coil.. It is ridiculously loud.. Im very happy with it.. Most surprising thing is that it has no rattles or vibration!!:eek: Im totally shocked. Coming from a 5 series Bimmer I was expecting a Korean made car to rattle and vibrate to pieces, boy was I wrong! The Soul is very well built, and the only thing that even slightly vibrates is the rear windshield wiper blade, and even that is minimal.. Thats pretty impressive considering the size and power of the sub thats in there! Need help deciding if I should carpet it, use some cool fabric (maybe seude), or paint it..

And heres a link to a video of the setup!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrhr6rAQwHo

:D What do you think??

Btw, thats an Infinity 6.5" speaker grill covering the port hole so I dont have Polyfil flying all around inside my car like a sno globe... It will be ditched for a nicer alternative once I decide on the box finish..

·
Registered
910 Posts
The rear wiper hinge is horribly weak which is probably why it vibrates.. good job though!

·
Registered
99 Posts
that is quite the setup! i put in my 2 sony Xplod 12s on 800 watt peak amp i can only imagine what that sounds like lol

i am very fond of my 8 dollar carpet from walmart in the auto section haha i think you should theme your car or have a giant cutout of the word "SOUL", maybe have some lights underneath a piece of plastic that light up that open spot to the music? keep up the work!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Damn......couldn't vote for carpet AND "you're insane".....but DAMN!! Thats a HOT setup!

I'd just do the 3M adhesive and black "speaker box" carpet if it was me. Those two amps bug me in their placement, but really only because of visibility. I'd also at some point want to build something to just cover the "works" in between the two amps.

Oh....and even though I voted "carpet".....I really meant "black speaker box" carpet.....which I guess is "fabric" actually.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
What a crazy installation that is hothot crazy you.
Go for fabric.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually just as I was looking at the pics I also thought about the houndstooth.. i'll have to see if I can find a close enough match..:D

·
Registered
537 Posts
say goodbye to any trunk space you've had before! :)
Couldn't agree more. Once I get around to my audio procject, I'll end up with this: I'm dong a single FI audio SSD 10 in a sealed .35 cu ft box running off a 500W Memphis amp. That will be plenty of boom for me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why did you poly a ported box? Poly slows done the wave, hurting your port. It is a good way to make a bad ported box sound good though, no offense, not saying its a bad box, thats just what it does.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why did you poly a ported box? Poly slows done the wave, hurting your port. It is a good way to make a bad ported box sound good though, no offense, not saying its a bad box, thats just what it does.
I did it because it cleaned up some of the port noise seeing as I dont have a real trunk like I used to...

As far as trunk space, its only about an inch or two taller than the floor used to be, and the seats fold down so its still way more space than I have ever had in any of my trunks.. my last box was 6.5 cu ft.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
its a pvc port, not much to round off..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts