Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I've installed numerous audio systems in a variety of cars but never seen the speedometer stop working. I cannot find a harness for the 2013 anywhere. I've only found was 2010 - 2012 and 2010 + but when installed every thing works but the speedometer. I've tried both harnesses. Any input would be very helpful! Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for being vague, I swapped the stock radio to the Kenwood DDX470. I have the 6 speaker audio system in my 2013 soul.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Lets see if I have this right: You have two harnesses, one that came with the car and one that you purchased afterward (just about anything that would work with a 2012 would work with a 2013). You took out the original basic radio and replaced it with this one. You have hooked the new radio up with the existing original harness and with the new one that you purchased and in both cases, the speedometer does not work. Have I got that right?

Have you swapped back the original radio and tried both the harnesses?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought 2 aftermarket harnesses. 1 2010+ and 1 2010- 2012 and with both the speedometer doesn't work. when i put the factory radio back in the speedometer works fine. I haven't taped the factory wires or harnesses at all.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I bought 2 aftermarket harnesses. 1 2010+ and 1 2010- 2012 and with both the speedometer doesn't work. when i put the factory radio back in the speedometer works fine. I haven't taped the factory wires or harnesses at all.
In this case, I would say that the first place I would look is that the new harnesses have somehow removed a circuit that provided B+ (Source 12 V) from the speedometer that was provided by the harness to the original radio OR has removed that voltage source from some component in the line to the speedometer. If you would look to the fuse panels, there may be an indication of which fuse provides power to the speedometer, that may give you a clue. But ultimately you are going to need pin outs for the new harnesses and the original harness to run this to ground. It may be that only a simple jumper wire needs to be provided.

·
Registered
608 Posts
In this case, I would say that the first place I would look is that the new harnesses have somehow removed a circuit that provided B+ (Source 12 V) from the speedometer that was provided by the harness to the original radio OR has removed that voltage source from some component in the line to the speedometer. If you would look to the fuse panels, there may be an indication of which fuse provides power to the speedometer, that may give you a clue. But ultimately you are going to need pin outs for the new harnesses and the original harness to run this to ground. It may be that only a simple jumper wire needs to be provided.
Sheesh, I don't know if you are correct or not....but I am impressed none the less. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't seen a car with a speedo cable in years. Pretty much any car with a computer controlled transmission is going to be electronic. My first car that way was my 2000 Chrysler Concorde.
Good to know, haven't worked on a car since my 95 ford Taurus, which I got rid of in 08 for a Honda fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted by Shaggy Wierdo View Post
Great point. Once I find this wire should I ground it or find a power source? Last issue is I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere. Thanks for the input!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Great point. Once I find this wire should I ground it or find a power source? Last issue is I cannot find a wiring diagram anywhere. Thanks for the input!
I don't know if that is your problem or not but without the pinouts, it will not be known which to do. But if you decide to do it ground it first, won't hurt anything that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts