Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first winter with the Soul and I do not know why, but now 2 times the entire inside of my cars windows fogged up and I can't drive it.

One morning it was cold and I went out to go to work and could not see out of the windows they were so fogged up. The car was NOT running and parked where I always park.

The other morning, it was cold out so I decided to let the car warm up and when I came back the front and back windows were starting to fog up pretty good. I opened the sun roof and windows and that helped to clear it up.

So 1 time car running and 1 time car not running.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It is a common mistake to select a recycle mode .
you must read your hand book in the car and try different setting .
Learn where the recycle mode warning light is and make sure you avoid using those modes.
You must run with fresh air coming into car at all times.
For maximum demisting and drying use aircon on a warm to hot setting this acts as a dehumidifier, Keep windows closed the cars will vent enough air to reach optimum performance.
The blower needs to be on 2 or above and do not skimp on open vents just turn up fan the more vents you have open.
If you are operating correctly and car is still damp and carpets may be damp at bottom outlets check the drain for the evaporator is clear.

Jeff

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
439 Posts
Also could be a leak in the heater core. Is there any smell of antifreeze? A sickly sweet smell. A wet spot on the passenger side floor?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Mine did it after leaving a small cooler in the back seat.The moister from it sweating as it cooled off over night made a mess on the windows when the car warmed up.Any water leaks or moister inside the car can cause fogging.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Prolonged operation of the heater in the recirculated air position (without air conditioning selected) may cause fogging of the windshield and side windows and the air within the passenger compartment may become stale.

To prevent interior fog on the windshield, set the air intake control to the fresh air position and fan speed to the desired position, turn on the air conditioning system, and adjust the temperature control to desired temperature.
From my 2014 manual in the Manual Climate Control Section. There are also 2 WARNINGS in there about prolonged use of the Recirculation mode causing loss of vehicle control due to drowsiness and reduced visiblity.

What were your settings when this occurred?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Also something to check out: my brother's Soul had a defective condensor drain that was allowing water to accumulate in the AC box, so if you put it on recirculate it would look like a fog machine. This is no lie - we were driving on the interstate and put the AC on to defog the windshield, and so much fog started pouring out of the defroster vents we looked like a Cheech and Chong mobile. I was certain that either the cops would stop us or someone would call the police/fire for a car that looked like it was on fire. I had to open the window and hang my head out to drive. So you might have a clogged drain, which would fog up the windows if you put it on recirculate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, I am keeping my eye on it, the last couple days have been fine. It was just strange I have never seen a car so fogged up sitting overnight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Soul does it a lot. Even when I leave the windows opened overnight or use the defrost mode before I get home. What is odd is that we also have a 2002 CRV which is also parked outdoor and it rarely ever gets frosted inside.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I haven't noticed any more fogging in the Soul than in any other car I've owned. But I do tend to drive with my window open all year unless it's raining or snowing or I have pax, in which case it's only open a crack.

I wonder if driving with the window open helps air out the moisture from exhalation, sweat, farts, or whatever, thus decreasing the tendency to fog up overnight.

Just a theory, mind you. But I never really noticed much of a problem with fog in any vehicle. That could be the reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My issue only seemed to happen the 2x I mentioned above and not since. Not sure why/what as I am parking in the same area and doing the same stuff.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,168 Posts
many forget that the Soul is a very small vehicle (more so if you previously had a larger vehicle) and therefore the small interior space vs the more people that are in the vehicle = more chance of windows fogging up particular on the side, as was mentioned a slight opening of a window will help speed up the clearing.

You can easily confirm this by noting a side window that is fogged up and without changing any of the current controls, just open the window about 1/2" or so and see how quickly is clears. This is when side window visors come in handy.

Also what gets forgotten is the fact that newer vehicles are better sealed then many older models, you generally notice this when you go to close the door at certain times.

You can also cut down on interior fogging on windows by not breathing till you exit the vehicle :sneakiness: Breathing = moisture

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,939 Posts
Reviving this thread, I found this communication from KIA regarding efforts to reduce inside condensation on "some" 2016 Souls and ALL after that. Especially of interest if you're wondering why your "recirc" and HVAC controls are changing on their own:

PITSTOP: ANTI-CONDENSATION LOGIC NORMAL OPERATION, DISABLING, AND ENABLING - Some Kia vehicles starting with 2016MY and all Kia vehicles, after and including 2017MY, incorporate an anti-condensation logic to prevent the interior windows from becoming excessively fogged. The HVAC control head in these vehicles monitors ambient temperature to determine which settings will best prevent the windows from fogging.

If the system detects lower ambient temperature (about 60°F or below), the anti-condensation logic may automatically set the air intake mode to FRESH, depending on the other HVAC settings.

The anti-condensation logic is also designed to ensure that air intake mode is set to FRESH, as long as all conditions are met. If the user changes the air intake to RECIRCULATION, the anti-condensation logic will take control again after 5 minutes, and change the air intake mode back to FRESH. If this results in an undesired operation, the logic may be enabled or disabled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had 3 KIA Souls. My current one is a 2017 model. I've never had a fogging issue until this year-- and it happens at the WORST times. I almost never have issues when I first start my car, but after I've been driving for a few minutes, it starts to fog. It only seems to clear if I turn the defroster on max cool and turn the fan to 4. If I turn it to any heat setting, the fogging becomes worse. I took it in to get checked but the mechanic just gave me some photocopied pages from the internet and the manual. I'm frustrated because I have had the car for 3 years and I wasn't having the issue until now. (The "logic" is on.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts