Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Info on installing the auto headlights and fog switch

27K views 60 replies 13 participants last post by  Gavin68 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I bought the auto headlight stalk with the fog switch and the photo light sensor (our cars without auto lights have a dummy blank peice that holds the wire) that goes on top of the dash. I gave it a try and it works great! It even has the fog indicator on the dash when fog lights are on. The bonus of having the auto feature for me is that I dont have to adjust the guage brightness at night time now. I can leave the switch in the auto position and never have to touch the stalk again. The part numbers you need are 93410B2110 for the stalk and 972532V100 for the light sensor.
I found mine as a set on ebay for 49.99.

#3 ·
No I havent wired the fogs up. I bought oem fog lights though. Now I just need to find what wires come out of the ecm and go to the fuse box and tap into that. I really am not looking forward to paying $19 off kiatechinfo.com just to find that out. I know some people are wiring up an auxilary harness but I dont like doing things that way, thats just me OEM all the way!

#7 ·
Ya, BCM, what was I thinking, lol. Anyway I dont see a front fog output like I was hoping to see, I see all the headlight and fog inputs, which look to be grounded and are switched so I could wire up the relay to pin 15, I wish they had more wiring diagrams I would like to know where the fog light wiring stops on our cars and wire up from there. from what I read also is that the headlights are controlled directly from the BCM using no relay which seems strange, thats a large current draw coming directly from a module.

#8 ·
Or going to the bcm. If its like a ford system, the hot wire goes to the light straight off the distribution block, and the ground goes to the bcm. Headlights, turn signals, brake lights, dome lights, all ground switched, and that means both wires are hot as long as a bulb is plugged in. If you ground the wrong one you have a dead short, if you ground the correct one the light comes on. This is the primary problem with the plethora of electrical issues in the 2000 years of windstars. Un plugging the bulb will show you which one goes to bat and which one goes to bcm.

Mine has factory fogs so I never bothered with any of the wiring in that aspect, so im not aware if its ground switched or not.

#10 ·
That would be ideal. I attempted to wire the relay to the switch and there is 1 switched wire on the headlight switch for the fogs but since it is an input to the BCM the fogs can be shut on and off but are not shut off with the headlights and will stay on if you forget to shut them off.

#11 · (Edited)
I can give it a shot this weekend, no telling if its the same as the newer models tho.

if your running them off a relay, it may be possible to use the headlight circuit to power the relay, when the headlights are off, the relay is off, the fogs are off. I think you should be able to wire the relay in a series with the circuit rather than the hot and ground standard way.

feed to headlight___relay+____relay-____headlight+_____headlight-______bcm input.

just a theory, may not work.

I do know if the lead for the headlights is always hot, which will be the case if the bcm is ground switching, and you wire the relay with a ground to bat or body, it will never loose power and parasitic loss will drain your battery through the coil on the relay. This happened on my s-10 when I didn't pay attention to the power wire I used for my driving lights relay.

#12 · (Edited)
Ok I gave in. I bought the 72hr pass to kiatechinfo. heres what I found, the blue plug on the fuse box below all the fuses is where the output wire would come out and travel to the engine compartment, Our cars are missing the wire to that connector, the pins are 30 for the right fog and 6 for the left. all you need to do is add wire to these connectors and route it directly to the foglight, no relay is needed as this is already fused and how it is wired on the + and ! I posted screenshots.

#15 ·
Well I tryed pin 30 and 6 there is no power so must be missing the wires all the way from bcm. Instead I just wired the negative relay coil wire to the green wire on the headlight switch and the positive relay coil wire to the drivers side headlight blue power wire. the switch now shuts off the fogs with the headlights, still retains the indicator light, basically functions like OEM.

#17 ·
yes I can shut them off because I connected the positive relay coil wire to the left headlight low beam wire so the only time the fogs get power is when the low beams are on. the grounded relay wire is connected to the green wire to turn fogs on and off manually. it works just like it came from the factory. heres some pics. The white connector with the green wire circled in yellow goes to your relay coil ground wire, that connector plugs into the headlight switch. The black connector with the blue wire from the headlight low beam is circled in orange, that connects to the positive relay coil wire, that connector plugs into the back of the drivers side headlight. After that its just as simple as hooking the main power wire from the relay up to the battery (I hooked it up to the underhood fuse box terminal bolt) and then hook up the ground. there is a group of ground wires I hooked up to right under the airbox on the frame rail. Now we have fogs!

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Hi, I saw your original post and worked up the courage to purchase this kit. Fog Lamps ,Switch, Wiring harness Complete Kit ( 2014 2015 2016 2017 Kia Soul )

All went well, taking into consideration the lack of access on the driver side to install the lights. But, to my surprise unlike you mentioned, I do not get fog indicator on the dash when the lights are on. Now, the switch they include has indeed a modification, two wires coming out of it to trigger the relay that was part of the harness.
I wonder if you have any ideas? Maybe adding those wires the car does not see the foglight switch being turned on.
Any comments or ideas would be appreciated. Check out the pick for the kit picture. Thanks

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Technology

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.