Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we finally had enough snow to see how it handles. About 8" of fairly wet snow. I did put some Cooper True North snow tires on about a month ago. I am impressed, with both the car and the tires. It tracks really well through the slush and the ride is better than the OEM all season tires.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Good to hear. Just curious - Did you put the snow tires on all 4 or just the front?

We used all 4 on our two front-wheel-drive cars in Alaska for 7 years and had good luck. I drove a govt car (one of the '90s Chrysler K-Cars) up there one day in the snow with front winter tires only, and the back end was very squirrely. Having all 4 snow tires makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Snow tires on all 4 corners. The best performance in snow, with the best safety margin. I would think any other configuration these days would likely really mess with the ABS, Traction Control, and Stability Control systems ability to figure out whats happening.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul LX
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, on all 4. I'm not sure that the tire stores will install on just 2? And I'd rather correct out of a drift than an impending half brodie.

·
Registered
396 Posts
1st time out in snow seemed Ok, until I dropped my son off at his friends house and got stuck in driveway. On OEM all seasons

·
Registered
212 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I had my first experience with my 2020 EX and snow/slush/ice on the OEM Nexen N Priz all season tires. I was not happy. They are terrI left. Even in slow speed, under 25 mph, they were squirrelly. Starting from a stop was a problem with spinning tires and stopping took a long time. Two days ago, I went to local tire shop and replaces all for with Nokian WR G4 all weather tires. First time with Nokians but they have good reviews and are ”3 peak” rated. The review from drivers in Canada are pretty good so I thought I would try them. So far, I like ’em. They’re quiet and ride even better than the Nexens. Haven’t had any snow or ice since then, but we’ll see.

Reactions: SailDesign

·
Registered
2020 Soul GT-Line, 2010 Soul Sport
42 Posts
Around Jan. 1 I was able to drive in snow with my '20 GT-Line 2.0, for the first time.. 6" of snow with lots of slush on the suburban roads. Car was good on packed snow, felt stable on the slush, but still got stuck trying to go up a hill after a dead stop with mixed slush and snow.. Had to back down the hill in shame.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
"Had to back down the hill in shame. "
Oh, gads, I wish I had been there with you. I would have just loved to help you get up that hill.
There IS a way! (I've never backed down a hill in my life!)
For all the years that I had to drive company cars, including Ford Econoline vans, I never had snow tires. The companies just refused to put them on. So I had to still run service calls in all sorts of foul weather, with street tires, sometimes badly worn.
One day, I practically blew my boss's mind, because I was taking service calls, after a 10" snow fall, when other tech's were sitting in the office. I added extra weight to the Ford Econoline van that I was diving, then dropped off some pressure in the back tires and went wherever I wanted. No Problem!
It's all about gaining traction, however you can. With a FWD car, it's a whole lot easier than it was with a RWD van.
Here we are, in the middle of another winter, with considerable snow in many of our Northern states, and I would just love to be there, if only I could. But alas, I'm stuck here in sunny Florida, with NO Snow, NO Ice, slush or other driving hazards. I love it here, but honestly, I do miss the snow.

Cheers Mates,
FLH :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts