Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was hesitant to buy my 2016 soul 1.6L too after reading about the cat converters, but I am happy I did get it. You will see these cars everywhere and most of them are trouble free.

They had several of them where I bought mine with 150k plus miles.
I got the one with the lower miles at 70k.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Kia Soul +, 56 thousand miles, and I love it!

I'm just back from a week long camping excursion.
Just folded down the back seats and it held all my gear inside... Sweet!

I change my oil on the regular,
every five thousand mi!es,
whether it needs it or not.

The wagon runs like top.
It purrs like a kitten,
and
guaranteed, not to scratch.

I am not one to give unsolicited advice...
However, it would be wise to check your oil dipstick
at each and every gasoline fill up.

Lock the pumping handle, on slow fill up.
Then pop the hood and check the oil!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm picking it up Wednesday, so I'll get Mobile 1 oil in it within a week. It's a 63k mile 2.0L Soul + so at this mileage I'll do air filter, PCV oil and oil filter. It's got less than 1000 miles on new BF Goodrich Touring T/A tires.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,984 Posts
I'm picking it up Wednesday, so I'll get Mobile 1 oil in it within a week. It's a 63k mile 2.0L Soul + so at this mileage I'll do air filter, PCV oil and oil filter. It's got less than 1000 miles on new BF Goodrich Touring T/A tires.
Congrats larry! Post some pics of your new ride when you get a chance.

Reactions: celronart

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, picked up the car. The car has been sitting for almost 5 months since the owner had passed away and the battery was dead. Jumped the car with cables and drove to get the title done, no radio sound. I assumed it was because of the dead battery.

Replaced the battery. Scanned OBD and cleared all low voltage codes. Reset the radio push button in the upper right corner. Still no sound.

Looked at fuses. Verified all fuse block and battery cables are clean and tight. Still no sound. No sound by BT, not by Navigation, and not by radio FM.

I found a rectangle fuse cover under the passenger seat, and it does have a sticker showing a amplifier fuse. But where did this come from? It's not the one by the battery, and it's not the square one in the dash in front of my left knee. There is a third in here somewhere.

Next, Google Kia Soul battery died and now no radio sound.... You'll find a million posts and most say that once the battery dies they had to buy a new or used radio and replace the one in the dash.

Damn it.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Oh... if I buy an ebay factory radio, does it need to go to a dealer to get the replacement used head unit programed in to the car?

Where the heck is that 3rd fuse block?

Frustrated and yet hopeful....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, I dove a bit further into this today. Pulled the amplifier and disassembled it to look at the components. Houston.... we have a problem!

I already found an amplifier at a local salvage yard. So later today I'll have that in.

It appears that corrosion built up and bridges at least four legs from the mosfet and one leg completely burned itself.... liberated... gone... no longer lives here.

So swap the amplifier out and see what we get. Dang snow and salt corrosion. It always wins in the end.

New salvage yard amplifier today for $100 and she's up and running. All done. It's over.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Looking at these forums it appears that every Soul is on the side of the road or about to be there. That said, I know 4 folks with near 200K mile Soul vehicles that have been essentially trouble free.

I am looking at a nice metallic blue Soul + with nav and Harman Karden, 2 tone blue and grey seats, double spoked wheels, projector style headlights, automatic with 2.0L engine. The original owner passed unexpectedly and I am buying from his adult son who is executer of the estate.

So based on my friends experiences these cars are generally long term reliable and economical. I was going to try to order a 22/23 Kia Niro Hybrid and spend around $30K to do so, but then decided to go cheap when I happened across this really nice and low mile 2015 with a decent trim and option upgrade. To bad, no sunroof. I'll live.

I typically run only Mobile 1 oils in my vehicles and do all service and repairs myself unless it is something I decide I would rather pay my local shop to do. That is rare, I normally deal with it on my own.

The car also has a set of 4 brand new BFG Touring T/A tires on it, so I will need to get a spare set of wheels for my winter tires for up here in Pa.

The real question is... Are the majority of these cars problematic, or are the majority pretty good to go with the forum being the concentration of problem cars? I assume that the failure rates talked about are the 1% and not the 99%?
I am on my fifth Kia (4Souls) and so far I had a park light bulb go out on a 2010 Soul SE with 102000 miles on it and an A/C compressor go out on SoulBeeIt (a 2015 Exclaim) at around 50k . That's it . I've been telling people for years that you can't get better or more for the money and I'm sticking to it .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I've put over 3500 miles on it so far, no trouble from the car but plenty of hazing from friends and family since I've always had 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks, wranglers on 37" tires, some sort of Cobra, Vette, or Camaro... I've heard at least a thousand times since buying this car that I've finally come out of the closet..... Funny people.

But i did change the oil immediately, the PCV valve and air filter. I am getting 26-27 mpg average per tank, hand calculated. I'd rather get 36 like my son in his 2016 Cruze 1.4 turbo, but it sure beats my 6.4L Hemi for work commuting costs.
Font Number Circle Screenshot

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a 2.0. I'm sure we'd both love over 36 miles per gallon like the 1.5s do but I don't like the 1.5s. They're too sluggish. IMHO.
Mine is a California car. The catalytic converter and these commie pollution laws is what is responsible for the low mileage. I remember driving a 90s geo metro and getting 40 plus to the gallon. That was until laws demanded catalytic converters, causing more gas consumption.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts