Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at these forums it appears that every Soul is on the side of the road or about to be there. That said, I know 4 folks with near 200K mile Soul vehicles that have been essentially trouble free.

I am looking at a nice metallic blue Soul + with nav and Harman Karden, 2 tone blue and grey seats, double spoked wheels, projector style headlights, automatic with 2.0L engine. The original owner passed unexpectedly and I am buying from his adult son who is executer of the estate.

So based on my friends experiences these cars are generally long term reliable and economical. I was going to try to order a 22/23 Kia Niro Hybrid and spend around $30K to do so, but then decided to go cheap when I happened across this really nice and low mile 2015 with a decent trim and option upgrade. To bad, no sunroof. I'll live.

I typically run only Mobile 1 oils in my vehicles and do all service and repairs myself unless it is something I decide I would rather pay my local shop to do. That is rare, I normally deal with it on my own.

The car also has a set of 4 brand new BFG Touring T/A tires on it, so I will need to get a spare set of wheels for my winter tires for up here in Pa.

The real question is... Are the majority of these cars problematic, or are the majority pretty good to go with the forum being the concentration of problem cars? I assume that the failure rates talked about are the 1% and not the 99%?

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stated Harman Karden, it actually has the Infinity system in the nav radio. Looking on 2015 cars for sale, it seems that in the Soul+ there are very few with the nav/Infinity, it must have been an option and in no way standard or even common.

I am paying $12.5K for the car with 63K, and looking at the cost to buy a similar 2015, this appears to be a fair price. The only bummer I see is that KIA does not honor the 10/100 warranty once I buy this car, it will be a cash and carry with zero KIA support if I am understanding it correctly?

· Registered
2014 White Exclaim Tallahassee, FL
832 Posts
I am paying $12.5K for the car with 63K, and looking at the cost to buy a similar 2015, this appears to be a fair price. The only bummer I see is that KIA does not honor the 10/100 warranty once I buy this car, it will be a cash and carry with zero KIA support if I am understanding it correctly?
Correct. The 10/100K powertrain warranty does not transfer over to the 2nd owner. I believe a Certified Pre-owned does transfer over the 10/100K. You may also want to make sure all of the recalls have been performed for your vehicle. There was one that lengthened portion of the short block to 15/150K. And there was one for the headlight stalk, too.

· Registered
34 Posts
Before you buy I would recommend checking the carfax to see if there are maintenance records. If it seems well maintained you should be alright. It is important with these cars to check your oil level often and top it off when necessary. The 2nd owner powertrain warranty ends at 60,000 but you might want to check with Kia to see if you still get the extended warranty for the rod bearings.

From personal experience my 2018 has a little oil consumption at 55,000, I had to replace the driverside window switch and the starter had to be replaced. Other than that it's been great. I just replaced the original tires and the wear pattern was perfect. I plan on doing a transmission flush at 60,000. I'm hoping to keep this car going for a long time.

Forums tend to make cars look unreliable because this is a good place to find help when something does happen but it isn't a reflection of the general Soul population.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you buy I would recommend checking the carfax to see if there are maintenance records. If it seems well maintained you should be alright. It is important with these cars to check your oil level often and top it off when necessary. The 2nd owner powertrain warranty ends at 60,000 but you might want to check with Kia to see if you still get the extended warranty for the rod bearings.

From personal experience my 2018 has a little oil consumption at 55,000, I had to replace the driverside window switch and the starter had to be replaced. Other than that it's been great. I just replaced the original tires and the wear pattern was perfect. I plan on doing a transmission flush at 60,000. I'm hoping to keep this car going for a long time.

Forums tend to make cars look unreliable because this is a good place to find help when something does happen but it isn't a reflection of the general Soul population.
The VIN is KNDJP3A54F7150950 if anyone has access to Carfax.

· Registered
832 Posts
The VIN is KNDJP3A54F7150950 if anyone has access to Carfax.
You can sign up for a CARFAX Car Care account and that allows you see to see any maintenance history by adding the VIN to your account. These maintenance history entries are limited to only shops that are in their database (i.e. dealerships, quick lube shops, etc.). Also, what I typically do for vehicles that I'm considering purchasing is call the local dealership's service department that may have performed maintenance; give them the VIN and see if they have any records and recall history. It may or may not turn up anything, but it's free and only takes a few minutes.

· Registered
2019 Kia Soul+ 2.0l automatic in Clear White
237 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Souls are dependable cars. Just check the oil :)

Reactions: rhysoul and GeoSoul

· Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
527 Posts

Put in your vin. Basic information is free, they will try to upsell you. I use it on all my cars.
Put it in here as well

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a place on the Kia site to enter the con and get warranty status, I'm ingested in seeing if this has the recall related additional warranty and if it covers the car after the original owner?

· Registered
1,938 Posts
And also, what's with the talk about the cars burning? What causes it, and is it this 2.0L or just the 1.6L?
I don’t know what you mean by a “con” in your other post, but you can enter your vin at this site to see if the car has any open recalls.

Also if you go to any car forum, you’ll see modern engines burning oil. That’s why it’s important to change it on time (preferably using the severe maintenance schedule) and to check it regularly. Toyota, Subaru, Honda, GM all have had issues with engines burning oil.

Reactions: GeoSoul

· Registered
2,480 Posts
Here is your dealership history. It looks like it had the bearing clearance test and ECU update done last year. Looks pretty up to date on the recalls except the air bag one so when you get it take it in and any others that may not have been done will be put on and you will have the 150k warranty on the rod bearing failure as well.
Your car is a 2.0

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So many questions... will this 2015 with factory Nav have wired Android Auto?
I don’t know what you mean by a “con” in your other post, but you can enter your vin at this site to see if the car has any open recalls.

Also if you go to any car forum, you’ll see modern engines burning oil. That’s why it’s important to change it on time (preferably using the severe maintenance schedule) and to check it regularly. Toyota, Subaru, Honda, GM all have had issues with engines burning oil.

Sorry, not talking about burning oil. Unless I'm reading incorrectly... some cars are catching fire and burning. So my thought is.... why? Can it be prevented?

My car now is an 04 Grand Prix with 155k miles that I bought 9 years ago for $7k. I'm wanting to sort of repeat that. So if I can run good Mobile 1 synthetic, fix or update some issues that are common and get a decade or near it with minimal major repairs, I'll be happy.

· Registered
832 Posts
If it's equipped with the 8" screen, then you'll have wired AA. Map/software updates here:

· Registered
1,938 Posts

Sorry, not talking about burning oil. Unless I'm reading incorrectly... some cars are catching fire and burning. So my thought is.... why? Can it be prevented?

My car now is an 04 Grand Prix with 155k miles that I bought 9 years ago for $7k. I'm wanting to sort of repeat that. So if I can run good Mobile 1 synthetic, fix or update some issues that are common and get a decade or near it with minimal major repairs, I'll be happy.
I don’t have navigation on my Soul Base, but this website is where you download any new updates.

Mostly those fires were caused from improper repairs. Whenever the high pressure fuel pump or lines is removed, Kia recommends new lines and bolts be used, and if the pump or fuel lines are not installed properly, that fuel is at very high pressure and can cause leaks on a hot engine.

· Registered
2,480 Posts

The Grand Prix had the giant recall for catching fires. As a matter of fact I actually put one of those fires out on the side of the highway. It was nothing more than the valve cover gaskets would leak onto the exhaust but a huge deal was made out of it just like all the supposed Kia problems that are basically down to owners not performing maintenance and indy shops not properly servicing GDI engines when they do something like a valve cover gasket that requires GDI pump removal.

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,998 Posts
The Grand Prix had the giant recall for catching fires. As a matter of fact I actually put one of those fires out on the side of the highway. It was nothing more than the valve cover gaskets would leak onto the exhaust but a huge deal was made out of it just like all the supposed Kia problems that are basically down to owners not performing maintenance and indy shops not properly servicing GDI engines when they do something like a valve cover gasket that requires GDI pump removal.
Little details (aka: facts) like that get left out of media reporting. "KIA's Blowing Up" makes for a juicier headline.

Reactions: rhysoul

· Registered
37 Posts
Looking at these forums it appears that every Soul is on the side of the road or about to be there. That said, I know 4 folks with near 200K mile Soul vehicles that have been essentially trouble free.

I am looking at a nice metallic blue Soul + with nav and Harman Karden, 2 tone blue and grey seats, double spoked wheels, projector style headlights, automatic with 2.0L engine. The original owner passed unexpectedly and I am buying from his adult son who is executer of the estate.

So based on my friends experiences these cars are generally long term reliable and economical. I was going to try to order a 22/23 Kia Niro Hybrid and spend around $30K to do so, but then decided to go cheap when I happened across this really nice and low mile 2015 with a decent trim and option upgrade. To bad, no sunroof. I'll live.

I typically run only Mobile 1 oils in my vehicles and do all service and repairs myself unless it is something I decide I would rather pay my local shop to do. That is rare, I normally deal with it on my own.

The car also has a set of 4 brand new BFG Touring T/A tires on it, so I will need to get a spare set of wheels for my winter tires for up here in Pa.

The real question is... Are the majority of these cars problematic, or are the majority pretty good to go with the forum being the concentration of problem cars? I assume that the failure rates talked about are the 1% and not the 99%?
Majority of vehicles? No. You are in luck the 2.0 has the lowest recalls. The lemon batches are in the 1.5s. Just change the oil regularly and monitor the oil monthly. Change out the pcv valve. Try to put an oil catch can if you can . If you still have the original coils and sparkplugs, change them out to factory oem or upgrade the plugs and cables to NGK iridium high performance. Change your engine air filter yearly at least.
Other than that enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts