Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my car headliner put in. I think the guys did an awesome job. However I did notice on most of the interior panels they do have some tool marks from prying on them with pry tools to remove them. There are also 2 or 3 very small little knicks around one of my vents that arent really that noticable. I plan on replacing the stuff that is blemished only because it is so cheap and I am that anal. So my question is even with a professional doing this kind of stuff, is it unavoidable to have these things happen? I spoke with the installer who has been doing it for 35 years and he told me that sometimes you have to take into consideration that the plastic is designed to break away in a crash and not be taken off for any other reason, so it is a bit softer and more delicate than older stuff, and that the options are usually live with that fact or go the next step and consider replacing things like that.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I don't buy that. It was years ago, but I ran an electronics repair business out of a car customization shop. Those guys rarely damaged anything - if nothing else, they would tape over the parts in question so that any prying went against the tape and not the plastic.

The explanation really doesn't make much sense. The plastic pieces are cosmetic only - they have no bearing at all in an accident. And Kia, like all car manufacturers, have to be able to remove pieces in order to make warranty repairs, so except in rare cases it is always possible to get things off without damage - it's just not always possible if the tech is not willing to take the extra time to protect the neighboring pieces.

If it were me, I'd have the shop replace the damaged pieces. That wasn't part of the install, unless the techs told you "You'll get a new headliner but the surrounding pieces will be scratched up".

I recently had my car headliner put in. I think the guys did an awesome job. However I did notice on most of the interior panels they do have some tool marks from prying on them with pry tools to remove them. There are also 2 or 3 very small little knicks around one of my vents that arent really that noticable. I plan on replacing the stuff that is blemished only because it is so cheap and I am that anal. So my question is even with a professional doing this kind of stuff, is it unavoidable to have these things happen? I spoke with the installer who has been doing it for 35 years and he told me that sometimes you have to take into consideration that the plastic is designed to break away in a crash and not be taken off for any other reason, so it is a bit softer and more delicate than older stuff, and that the options are usually live with that fact or go the next step and consider replacing things like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those little covers that say AIRBAG are what got messed up, I should have explained that better. They are only 1.25 to replace so I cant make a big stink over it. I fixed the little knicks on the dash today, the texture of the dash actually allows you to reform those little circle if they get damaged with alot of patience. I dont wanna discredit the guy, could he have been more careful sure, but most of the cars in the shop were bentleys and jaguars and stuff like that. I cant imagine they wouldnt treat those cars any different than mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts