Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2000 Outback now and love the thing. But it's on way out and it gets horrible fuel economy. I don't want to deal with maintenance problems constantly so I'm wanting a newer car. Souls seem relatively functional in comparison, get decent fuel economy, affordable...

I'm looking at spending around $10,000. 2010 model or so.

Any advice on years/models to stay away from? Typical problems, recalls, etc?

I'm also uncertain at the trim levels they come in. My Outback is a limited model and has all the bells and whistles. So I've become accustomed to certain luxuries. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
First off, get a 2013, not anything older.
Second, get a 1.6L engine, not a 2.0L
Third, skip the amenities, and the bells and whistles, for a Base Model with AT.

The more crap you add to a car, the more problems you'll likely have.

My little Base Model with few extras has given me fabulous service for almost 39K miles
now with NO power train problems. And I run the crap out of this little car, cruising the
interstate at 80mph +, and I use her like a John Deere tractor, to Pull things, out here
in the sand dunes of Central FL.
I'd buy her again, without ever thinking twice about it.

Look for a nice Clean 2013 with a good maintenance record and don't spend a fortune for it.
My dealer has several on the lot right now.

Cheers Mate and welcome!
TechnoMage :cool:

Reactions: zerosource

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Don't get a base ! You definitely want an !exclaim! with all the bells and whistles ! 2.0 engine , auto . The 2010s and 11s have to get timing belt replaced every 60k ! If its under that , plan on it at 60k if it over those miles be positive it has been done OR plan on spending 500-600 to get it done . Other than that maintenance issue , there is no issue . If they have been cared for your good to go . Bottom line get any Soul you like . We won't be driving it !

·
Registered
986 Posts
I drive a 2000 Outback now and love the thing. But it's on way out and it gets horrible fuel economy. I don't want to deal with maintenance problems constantly so I'm wanting a newer car. Souls seem relatively functional in comparison, get decent fuel economy, affordable...

I'm looking at spending around $10,000. 2010 model or so.

Any advice on years/models to stay away from? Typical problems, recalls, etc?

I'm also uncertain at the trim levels they come in. My Outback is a limited model and has all the bells and whistles. So I've become accustomed to certain luxuries. :)

Thanks!
Drive both the 1.6 and 2.0L versions and see how each feels to you; for me, the 2.0 is adequate and the 1.6 is not. Drive both hard, as in merge into fast traffic and try to pass and see what you think.

We had a 98 Subaru Outback and got ~25/26 MPG while our two SOULs only get around 27/28 MPG, so a big increase in mileage is unlikely in reality.

Regarding timing belts on older models (2010/2011); those are usually only needed every 90,000 miles or 6-7 years.

You'll likely find the SOUL to be a reliably good car, just not a great performance or a superbly economical one. We have a '14 and a '10 and prefer driving the '10 model; it's less refined but it's more interesting. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Hello Hempster and welcome to the Soul forums.
Because of the discount ( probably pre face lift). some buyer have gone for new models with 0% finance. this minimises unexpected costs. especially if 3 year servicing package included.
People are expressing their concerns and choices. People will be parting with their cars at 5 years old to buy new to get the most reliability from their vehicles. before having to pay out for the more expensive repairs.
If you buy 2010 with timing belt, budget for replacement on age alone. Battery is usually 5yr. life. complete hydraulic and coolant change may be due.
To protect future costs carefully inspect service bills Do not rely on wording fully serviced.
Souls reliability stands well to other makes of car costing a lot more so do not be put off by us trying to guide you.

Jeff

·
Registered
125 Posts
I haven't bought new in many years, and was seriously looking used this time. Problem was that the Soul really does hold its value. I was looking at 2010 with 50k miles for $10k and ended up with a new one for under $14k out the door with taxes and license. Used just didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why nothing older than a 2013? That's probably out of my price range.

I don't care about engine performance. I'd rather have the fuel economy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't bought new in many years, and was seriously looking used this time. Problem was that the Soul really does hold its value. I was looking at 2010 with 50k miles for $10k and ended up with a new one for under $14k out the door with taxes and license. Used just didn't make sense to me.
$10k to $15k is a difference of $85 a month in payments. (based on 10% interest)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
On a 10k car you will have to probably pay 5% + on interest charges on top of over pricing of second hand car to new ones presently available on offer. On top of pre mentioned replacements. Labour cost as well as parts can be very expensive Check out some timing belt replacement costs.
Also combine into your costs your savings for HP period for Petrol. For the new 1.6 GDI you will get at least 30mpg and up to 40mpg depending on driving.
older cars pre 2012 did not have 6 spd or GDi engine so not so economical.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Your Barking Up The Wrong TREE... You need to be getting another Subie... Problem solved...YUP... Nothing else will measure up...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Why nothing older than a 2013? That's probably out of my price range.

I don't care about engine performance. I'd rather have the fuel economy.

The souls are notorious for not delivering on fuel economy so do some research since that is the driving force in purchasing one.
You can get respectable pricing on new ones if you use truecar as your price model.
Why put down 10k on a used one that might need future repairs when you can drive worry free for, as 1 member put it, under 14k out the door?
I have a 2012 with the 2.0.
I intend to drive the 1.6 gdi when it's time to purchase a new one.
I do like our 2012 enough to purchase another one once a color to my liking becomes available.
I've resigned myself that the mileage will never live up to the promise so it's the car, as a whole, that must woo me in the end.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'll slightly disagree. In NY ... 2010's with 30-40K miles are available for around $7000 with MT. In fact, go on CL-NY, and there's a nice green 2012 with 35K miles for $6900. Lots of others available also for around that price. So a 5 year old car that's available for less than half it's original cost is a sweet buy for someone looking for a good value in a used car.

I picked up my 2010 with 39K miles three months ago for $7000. If I waited a bit longer, I may have snagged that 2012 I was referring to. :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
No, if I had seen offers like that, I likely would have made a different decision. Here in Milwaukee the only ones under $10k had over 100k miles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a 2014 soul base with AT I bought new at year end last Dec. and after almost a year of ownership, I can honestly say I love the car, but, I'm sorry I didn't get the 2.0 L engine.

Secondly, many rental companies work deals with dealerships and you'll find a ton of them 1 or 2 years old on dealership lots. My own dealer was hedging on an answer when I asked how come so many people keep these cars for only a year and get rid of them. Her answer was they are all one owner well maintained. When I asked if that owner happened to be Economy Rent a car she said yes.
So be careful and ask for history. I personally didn't want to buy a car that maybe 200-300 people drove.

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
297 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 Plus Shadow with 26.4K miles on it. It has all the fun gadgets and toys and everything works perfectly.

I gave just over 14k for it, after I compared it to a 2013 base for the same price and mileage, but missing all the fun stuff.

So they hold their value very well in Colorado as well. I was almost tempted to go new, but I fell in love with this shadow after driving it and was satisfied I was getting my moneys worth.

H

1 - 20 of 27 Posts