1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

Long time lurker - new member.

Back story:
Planning on purchasing a 2014 Kia Soul Base in black this coming Tuesday. The dealer finally found me one and it arrived today while I was at work. After work I decided to cruise by the closed dealership to take a peek at her. Lo and behold, she was there. Happy day! After inspecting as much as I could in the dark, I noticed something weird.

Issue:
On the back doors of the car, there is an unusual slice of material on the corners of the door. The best I can describe it as would be like a Rhino Lining without the texture or thickness. It was black in color as well.

Now, since the dealer is closed until Tuesday, I can't find out what it is. All of the pictures I was able to find online did not have this "material" on the back doors. At first, I thought it was probably some sort of protective covering and then my mind turned to damage control. In the mean time I figured I'd see if anyone had any idea what it may be in an attempt to calm my nerves.

Unfortunately, in the darkness - a discernible picture was impossible. The best I could do was MS Paint something up. The shape in the middle of the circle is the location and shape of this material. Since I can't attach things yet, I upload my art to Imgur. I am planning on stopping back tomorrow morning to get a picture in the sun light.

imgur: the simple image sharer

Anyone have any ideas? Any input is appreciated even if my paranoia is unwarranted. =D

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,119 Posts
Sounds like a protective coating to me...:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a 2014 white exclaim! It rained the day after I bought it so I washed it this afternoon. I noticed the "material slice" on the door also. Best as I can tell it is like a Mud Guard?

What about it concerns you?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'm being super critical of everything. It's been my dream to own a Soul since I saw one a few years ago and now I'm buying a new one so I guess I want everything to be perfect. lol. 1st new car too so that even puts more pressure on to make a good purchase.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
welcome to the forum

its the clear 3m protection from possible chipping in that area its been on most Soul's for quite a few years - DO NOT REMOVE IT!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Paranoia, PA

Which reminds me of the joke about the dyslexic paranoid guy who goes around worried, thinking he's following people.
That is funny, real funny. However I wish to point out that this is not the NFL and I am both somewhat paranoid and a dyslexic person and I find it funny. So there.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I'm in North East PA, the Allentown/Easton Area.
Folks lived in Trexlertown on the west side along Rt. 100 until my dad retired from Lehigh University. Brother and sister went to Emmaus High School (if I spelled the correctly). All my sibs were Penn State Grads (I was the only outcast). Good to see you onboard and relaxed about your concerns. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Folks lived in Trexlertown on the west side along Rt. 100 until my dad retired from Lehigh University. Brother and sister went to Emmaus High School (if I spelled the correctly). All my sibs were Penn State Grads (I was the only outcast). Good to see you onboard and relaxed about your concerns. Good luck.
That's pretty sweet. My mom graduated from Emmaus High School in 79/80ish. Go Hornets!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
That's pretty sweet. My mom graduated from Emmaus High School in 79/80ish. Go Hornets!
Good deal, my brother and sister were a few years ahead of your mom. Since I am older than my sibs, I guess you are just a kid comparatively speaking.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I can tell one thing the black car helps with all the ugly black plastic crap front and rear. I don't want a black car as it is so hard to keep clean but is looks so good compared to the other colors with the black plastic crap front and rear I may have to consider it.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
I can tell one thing the black car helps with all the ugly black plastic crap front and rear. I don't want a black car as it is so hard to keep clean but is looks so good compared to the other colors with the black plastic crap front and rear I may have to consider it.
are you referring to the bumper insert (been like that on all previous Base and Plus models), if so get the Exclaim model, or if not, you could always get those sections painted to match the body if it bothers you that much and then you can get the colour you want.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes the front and back bumper insert, I know it has always been like this but on the 2014 it is much BIGGER. I think it eats the whole front of the car. Actually is good as I will be towing it behind an RV so less paint chipping. As I said earlier a light bar with a couple lights on it will make it look much better. If I get a Soul it will have to be the base as I can't get a manual trans on a plus or exclaim. I have never seen anyone that can paint a plastic (flexible) bumper after market and the paint will stay on. I had an Oldsmobile that they had to paint the front bumper four times and when I sold it the bumper paint was cracked and coming off.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Yes the front and back bumper insert, I know it has always been like this but on the 2014 it is much BIGGER. I think it eats the whole front of the car. Actually is good as I will be towing it behind an RV so less paint chipping. As I said earlier a light bar with a couple lights on it will make it look much better. If I get a Soul it will have to be the base as I can't get a manual trans on a plus or exclaim. I have never seen anyone that can paint a plastic (flexible) bumper after market and the paint will stay on. I had an Oldsmobile that they had to paint the front bumper four times and when I sold it the bumper paint was cracked and coming off.
Well you can get a darker color other than black, that seems to make a difference. Also, over time you could scour the junk yards for wrecked Exclaims in your color until you found the pieces. But the bumper inserts are flat black on the base model and gloss on the Plus model. I am not sure how much different that would make since I have seen neither in person. But on the lighter colors, I think that the bumper inserts somewhat detract from the car. I like the idea of putting on the lights though, that seems an inexpensive way to take car of the problem.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
actually that is different material and not flexible like the rest of the bumper. You must have had bad luck with the Olds or they did not prepare it right, as bumpers on all makes of cars these days are a rubber type material or plastic. I had my old Rondo repainted on part of the bumper due to some light damage and was no problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts