Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shopping for a Soul +, 2015 model.

One of the available options is Idle Stop and Go.

From Kia's website:

The ISG system automatically switches off the engine when the vehicle is stopped, and starts it again when the brake pedal is released. This helps reduce emissions and boost fuel economy.
I test drove a Soul that had it. As advertised, when you stop at a light the engine completely shuts down and when you release the brake it starts up again immediately.

I do a lot of city driving, so I guess that could save some gas and reduce emissions.

On the other hand, it's another thing that can break and I don't how reliable it will be down the line. Will it still work flawlessly in two years or three years?

I'd be interested to know what you guys think, especially if you have this feature in your car. If you've had it for a while and it works great and saves a significant amount of fuel I'd love to know about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
the items effected on the ECO version are beefed up (starter, battery, etc) because of that feature. You'll have to do some search on the forum to find info on this, as User said its been covered a few times. I can't comment as I don't have the feature, and not something I would get as I live out in the country.
It is coming more and more common. I had it on VW Golf that I rented in Ireland for three weeks earlier this year, took a bit of getting used to but it worked fine but not sure how much fuel it actually saved.

·
Registered
2014 KIA SOUL Plus
165 Posts
Eco pack

JaredJones......
I just bought a 2014 Plus with the ECO Package.
It works very well and I enjoy it's operator free functionality.
It all depends on how you drive and how you want to drive.
Some people would hate it, but I like it fine.
It is hybrid technology in a regular car.

The BEST part is that your gas mileage numbers do NOT go down as you sit idling, waiting for traffic lights.

The 2013 ECO package bragged about a bigger battery, but they don't say that anymore and the battery looks the same to me. The low-rolling resistance tires are quiet.

I am having a BLAST in my new SOUL and the advanced transmission with the idle STOP & GO is more fun than I should be having in public.

Highly recommended. California? I would say YES, get it.

Bob HAWK

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/attach...nk-trim-panels-photos-2015-05-27-13.03.00.jpg

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want it!!!

Just too many things to go wrong.
One of the hardest things that your engine does all day is start up.
Multiply that by how many times you stop in traffic in a day and it adds up to a heck of a lot of wear on many engine parts.
I'd think it would seriously shorten the effective life of an engine.

Just sayin'

:cool:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
When I was in Germany, circa 1962-1964, it was common practice for a German driver to shut off their engine at a long stop light or Rail Road crossing.

We in the military were forbidden to do that. It caused too much stress on the vehicles starting system.

Just sayin'

Reactions: Listrynne

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
When I was in Germany, circa 1962-1964, it was common practice for a German driver to shut off their engine at a long stop light or Rail Road crossing.

We in the military were forbidden to do that. It caused too much stress on the vehicles starting system.
I think starting systems and vehicles have changed and improved a bit in 50 years :sneakiness:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Personally wouldn't want the technology. It requires heftier battery, starter, and electric oil pump to keep the automatic transmission lubricated when off and awaiting the "go" mode. I see a short term fuel savings (pennies), as a trade off for longer term expenses if and when the extra components fail. I want to see these things go for a few years and many thousands of miles, and see what the real fuel savings are before buying into it. Folks need to actually do the math on some of this technology before they just swallow the bait. But hey, that's just my opinion....

·
Registered
4,435 Posts

Just sayin'

Yes...I could see where the "starting system" could become "stressed out"

·
Registered
22 Posts
From what I have read, the ISG only adds 1 mpg back on the City MPG number. Plus it restricts you to a specific trim and package. I would think a slight improvement in driving style would pay back more and result in less stress on the powertrain.

Or just wait till they do a Soul Hybrid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the answers, everyone.

I decided to pass on that feature.

It's unclear how much the fuel and emissions savings would be, and it's just more complexity and stuff that can wear out.

Now that I think about it, I've had starter motors wear out just under normal use.

I'm not sure why I was even considering it.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Thanks for the answers, everyone.
I decided to pass on that feature.
It's unclear how much the fuel and emissions savings would be, and it's just more complexity and stuff that can wear out.
Now that I think about it, I've had starter motors wear out just under normal use.
I'm not sure why I was even considering it.
not that I don't disagree with you as I wouldn't bother with it either. But to be clear, and it also appears a lot of members posting on this thread don't seem to get it, is that all the components that are effected by having ISG (battery, starter motor, etc) are all HD and not what your get in the none ISG model.

The reason I personally wouldn't be interested in it, is that I live in the country. Canadian models in this version or not as basic as US models. (eg. feature content).

·
Registered
799 Posts
A Soul Hybrid would use a battery stack to restart the engine easily without much wear. If the pkg you are thinking about does not have a stack I am not sure how it restarts. Starter activation cranking? That would be a lot of wear. The prius I had before the Soul used a computer to jump the engine from the battery stack and was seamless. I was pulling 55 mpg . It is a heavy car for being so small because of the stacks of batteries tho. Get that stack wet and the car was totaled as the stack is 7000 dollars.

If the Soul uses or will use a stack then you will have the same danger in areas that flood a bit or are deep snow. LiPo's are expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think ISG system in the Soul functions much like the mild hybrid system that GM used in their Epsilon platform hybrids (Mailbu, Aura Green Line).

GM mild hybrids used an integrated belt starter/generator that was essentially a heavy duty alternator with a starter motor built in. Car would do stop/start of engine based on speed and engine RPMs. System would stop the engine midway thru cycle and restart once throttle input was received. Worked pretty well but the mileage increase did not offset the added cost of the system. Also IIRC the battery pack was much smaller than what is used in full hybrid vehicles.

Soul would be a great candidate for a hybrid model since it has a flat floor and ample room under the hood to accommodate the hyrbid gear. Also, being box, it would be easy to place the batteries on the floor (like the Soul EV) and maintain the vehicle's center of gravity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want it!!!

Just too many things to go wrong.
One of the hardest things that your engine does all day is start up.
Multiply that by how many times you stop in traffic in a day and it adds up to a heck of a lot of wear on many engine parts.
I'd think it would seriously shorten the effective life of an engine.

Just sayin'

Isn't it the lack of oil upon startup thats bad? Then if the oil has been circulating, and the motor gets restarted, there should not be much low oil condition wear. Just sayin'

·
Registered
509 Posts
Isn't it the lack of oil upon startup thats bad? Then if the oil has been circulating, and the motor gets restarted, there should not be much low oil condition wear. Just sayin'
ISG basically is a managed shutoff/warm start. They've been using idle stop/go in Europe for years and there are no reports beyond the anecdotal of starters [email protected] out early or cars stuck at stop lights. But that's new information and, well, new information does not seem to have anywhere near the value that old information does....

FWIW I would pass on the ISG because, for the kind of driving I do (and as little as I do of it), the return (higher mileage and lower emissions; Americans don't really care about either) just is not worth the expense. (In Europe, where a gallon of fuel can cost $8-10 and where the car often is taxed on its emissions, it becomes a smarter choice.) It has nothing to do with whether I'll wear out engine parts. Having to drive 80 miles to get anywhere; that will wear out an engine. Courier service? That too. But a warm start? Minimal if any damage and no way to point to ISG as a culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2016 Soul + with EcoDynamics. The ISG system, while an interesting concept, just doesn't do it for me. I've put over 37,000 miles on my car thus far so I feel confident in saying the ISG system is really only useful if you drive mostly in cities with lots of stop lights. I drive mostly on the highway during rush hour where I'm basically riding the brake pedal all the way home. This causes the ISG to stop and start the car every few seconds and it just becomes a nuisance!

I've read several posts here about people with similar feelings about the system and wanting a more permanent solution. I wanted a more permanent solution as well but I also wanted it to be reversible in case I changed my mind or if I discovered a problem.

As any ISG user knows, the button that turns the system off only keeps it off until the next time you start the car. However, I discovered (after reading some posts here) that if you keep the button pressed when you turn off the car and then turn it back on again, the ISG system remains off. So, here's what I did...

1) Removed side dash panel and associated screws to make access to the button more easy.
2) Removed control panel button that contains ISG control and disconnected from wiring harness.
3) Carefully separated buttons from housing
4) What you have here is basically a computer keyboard. The ISG button plastic is about a half inch long and forms a T at the bottom which presses the little button on the circuit board.
5) In the middle of the "T" is a small circle which easily accepts a small screw. I just happened to have the perfect size screw in my jar of screws and CAREFULLY screwed it in all the way.
6) Reassembled buttons and housing and now the ISG button no longer moves up and down. The screw head fills in the space and fully depresses the button on the circuit board.
7) Reassembled everything and have been happy ever since. No faulty performance and no warning lights!
8) Putting the car back to its original state is only a matter of removing the screw.

I apologize for not providing any pictures. I'll see if I can get in there again and snap a few. A few words of caution, handle all the plastics CAREFULLY so as not to damage them. You are doing this at your own risk! Good luck and I hope this helps someone.

Michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have ISG in my Soul and I honestly hate it. I'm OCD and it drives me nuts. I was actually hoping to find a way to bypass it permanently. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts