Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Soul has about 5700 miles. The ISG has started to malfunction: not activating at stops, showing a solid yellow light on the dashboard, and an illuminated ISG-Off button. The owners manual states that the yellow light should flash for 5 seconds before staying on; it's not flashing. But Kia Tech Support said a solid yellow light DID mean a malfunction. The dealer found no problem, and claims that what I'm seeing means the conditions for the ISG to operate haven't been met. However, the owner's manual says that would generate a message to that effect on the LCD display. So, Kia, the manual, and the dealer are offering different opinions. I actually don't like ISG, and disable it when I use the Soul, but my wife likes the feature, plus it just bugs me that there's another electronic malfunction for this new vehicle (it's been in twice for software updates to correct radio, Bluetooth, and power steering problems).

Has anyone else had a problem with Idle Stop-and-Go?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Solid light yellow means the conditions are not proper for a stop engine. I had this happen very frequently after my battery issue. Once the conditions are met it should start returning to normal operation. I've never seen my yellow indicator when it didn't shut off actually flash.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Our Soul has about 5700 miles. The ISG has started to malfunction: not activating at stops, showing a solid yellow light on the dashboard, and an illuminated ISG-Off button. The owners manual states that the yellow light should flash for 5 seconds before staying on; it's not flashing. But Kia Tech Support said a solid yellow light DID mean a malfunction. The dealer found no problem, and claims that what I'm seeing means the conditions for the ISG to operate haven't been met. However, the owner's manual says that would generate a message to that effect on the LCD display. So, Kia, the manual, and the dealer are offering different opinions. I actually don't like ISG, and disable it when I use the Soul, but my wife likes the feature, plus it just bugs me that there's another electronic malfunction for this new vehicle (it's been in twice for software updates to correct radio, Bluetooth, and power steering problems).

Has anyone else had a problem with Idle Stop-and-Go?
Sounds like normal operation. It's Winter, so cold weather is causing some of the conditions that don't allow ISG to operate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The manual must be wrong as I get no message when it fails to activate due to inappropriate conditions.
The fan speed, air temp, battery charge and so on all make a difference.i noticed it was not kicking in and realized it was because I had the blower AC on full cold and high speed. Adjusted it down a notch and the ISG kicked in at the next light...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If the battery is loaded with accessories running, ISG will not activate, with the seat heaters and heated steering working on mine ISG will not activate. I don't get any message either.

Pat.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual says the ISG should operate:

1) If the seat belts are fastened.
2) If the driver's door and the hood are closed.
3) If the brake vacuum pressure is adequate.
4) If the battery is sufficiently charged.
5) When the outside temperature is between 14-95 degrees.
6) If the coolant temperature isn't too low.

I can't correlate what's happening to any of these. We did try turning all of the accessories off (except the radio). Anyway, I appreciate hearing that some of you are seeing this happen. I just wish the owner's manual would be correct.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The manual says the ISG should operate:

1) If the seat belts are fastened.
2) If the driver's door and the hood are closed.
3) If the brake vacuum pressure is adequate.
4) If the battery is sufficiently charged.
5) When the outside temperature is between 14-95 degrees.
6) If the coolant temperature isn't too low.

I can't correlate what's happening to any of these. We did try turning all of the accessories off (except the radio). Anyway, I appreciate hearing that some of you are seeing this happen. I just wish the owner's manual would be correct.
I.S.G. is also contingent upon engine temperature among the myriad of prerequisites necessary to activate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Add me to the list of people that do not like this feature. I wish I could disable it. I have found the ISG does not work if the fan speed is at 2 or faster. It sounds like yours is doing what it is suppose to do.
Bill

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
"Add me to the list of people that do not like this feature. I wish I could disable it. "

YOU CAN! I've already documented HOW to do it, so I won't repeat that again.
It cost me Nothing and just makes life with my new Soul a little easier.

Happy New Year
:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a problem with the ISG after purchase. I had the dealer keep the car overnight for a full battery charge to make sure it was charged to tech/spec levels. All good now.
I city drive and am used to the ISG function and in fact, kind of like it (I'm in the minority I know)

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I love how it works,living in Phx,and driving in and around town,the gas savings are real.It amazes me that this thing will return low to mid 20’s bombing around the surface streets.Even getting into some good boost from time to time lol

I bought this thing purely for it’s features,mileage,and waranty,and configuration(see roomy box).

Bang for the buck,a Soul is a great commuter,and allows my Hellcat to not have to pull daily duties.

My average 250 or so miles a week cost me 12-14 dollars a week in gas because of such technology.Is it perfect,maybe not.But I still think it’s a solid worthwhile feature.

Reactions: deejaydead

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I don't understand the hate for ISG, it works seamlessly in my car.

Pat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
As you can tell it seems your ISG is behaving normally.
I have come to appreciate the ISG. Being able to get 36mpg in a 200+hp turbo soul in bumper to bumper traffic every day is simply amazing to me, and absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like it. Mine has never really flashed. Even at 33 this AM if activated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like some of the other comments, I couldn’t figure out why I was solid amber in the display, with the button lit. (1,100 miles 2020 Soul).

Taking off from a complete stop amber light and button light disappear as expected. I don’t know what conditions weren’t being met, but presumably it was something.

I too thought something was wrong with the ISG even though I hate the feature. I have experienced it working (green indicator) with engine shutoff, but would have expected that to be more frequent than what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I’ve also found that it will not work if the defroster is operatii also.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,243 Posts
ISG is needy, sporadic & does what it wants to, even when it makes no sense.

I dated a girl like that in my 20's :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts