Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Soul, Base Model, M/T 1.6L. It has a cruise control lever, nothing of the sort that the manual shows for the steering wheel mounted switch panel. I have attached pictures to show the lever on the left side of the column. Bought this car used last summer.

To operate the cruise:

1. Push and hold the lever forward. A faint beep-beep will be heard so long as there is not much ambient noise like the radio playing.
2. Push up or down to set the speed.
3. Pull backward to cancel set speed.

There is no indication on the instrumentation cluster that the cruise has been set, like a little green light.
The lever has the markings "+" and "-" symbols for like increasing/decreasing set speed. They work, but not very gracefully. Like all other cars, press + or - to increase/decrease speed in 1 mph increments. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to what it wants to do. Sometimes it will in minute increments, other times it may be 5 mph.

I want to purchase the factory harness and steering wheel switch assembly as mentioned in a previous thread. Before I do that, I'd like to know if anyone can identify what brand and/or how this cruise is installed. I want to know more before I rip it out and thus create issues. I have seen that Rostra makes a lever type cruise control, but I have not been able to find they made a lever such as what I have in my car. One pic shows a number, I looked it up but there are no results that can identify what it is.

Any help or advice before I tear into it?

Shoe White Sleeve Sunglasses Hood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Grey
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
That’s aftermarket.

The manual transmission Soul didn’t come with cruise, but there’s a how to on this forum on how to add the factory switch and wire harness to the steering wheel to get factory cruise that works just like it should, dash board indicator lights work too.

Edit- I didn’t read your last paragraph before I responded. Sorry. Don’t know the brand of the aftermarket unit or how it’s installed.

Edit2- Do you know where the control module for the aftermarket cruise is located? There may be a model number or brand on that if it’s a decent one. A lot of the aftermarket junk comes unbranded and hard to find out what’s what.

Reactions: shab

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s aftermarket.

The manual transmission Soul didn’t come with cruise, but there’s a how to on this forum on how to add the factory switch and wire harness to the steering wheel to get factory cruise that works just like it should, dash board indicator lights work too.
Thanks. I did see the How-To post you mention. I intend to follow that. I am going to remove the cruise I have first. Just wondering if anyone has seen that type before I start removing it. Don’t want to create any problems.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Thanks. I did see the How-To post you mention. I intend to follow that. I am going to remove the cruise I have first. Just wondering if anyone has seen that type before I start removing it. Don’t want to create any problems.
Yeah, sorry. I made an edit to my post. I need to learn to read the whole post before responding!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,870 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
824 Posts
I have a 2016 Soul, Base Model, M/T 1.6L. It has a cruise control lever... I want to know more before I rip it out and thus create issues. I have seen that Rostra makes a lever type cruise control...

Any help or advice before I tear into it?
Whatever "brand" it is I would assume it is wired up similiarly if not the same to a Rostra brand. Key word being "assume" :)

Installation instructions from Rostra

Rostra Installation - Part # 250-1859

Kia Soul accelerator pedal wiring addendum

Video of guy installing a Rostra cruise control kit on a Hyundai Accent (with automatic transmission). He located the control box up above the driver's foot well behind the fuse box.
HOW TO INSTALL CRUISE CONTROL IN 2010-2016 HYUNDAI ACCENT

Another installation video 2012-2014 Impreza Cruise Control Install

In your case I'm thinking removal is the reverse of installation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That’s aftermarket.

Edit- I didn’t read your last paragraph before I responded. Sorry. Don’t know the brand of the aftermarket unit or how it’s installed.

Edit2- Do you know where the control module for the aftermarket cruise is located? There may be a model number or brand on that if it’s a decent one. A lot of the aftermarket junk comes unbranded and hard to find out what’s what.
Not sure where the module is. I’ll dig around for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey shab, it this it? It looks like an Amazon aftermarket special. Yours may be an earlier version, but it looks like the same companies product. It breaks my heart to see this kind of crap installed on a Kia Soul. Glad you are going to make it right!

Amazon.com: 84632-34017 Car Cruise Control Switch for Land Sequoia CT200 ES300 ES350 GS450H : Automotive
It looks similar. I’m glad there’s a simple way to make it right. And I only know about that by way of this forum. Pretty cool group of people.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Not sure where the module is. I’ll dig around for it tomorrow.
If I had to guess I’d say it’s somewhere under the dash above where your feet are. You might be able to get your head up there and look for things that look aftermarket, but you might have to take the crash pad panel off. Here’s a link for that. Looks like just clips and screws.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
It looks similar. I’m glad there’s a simple way to make it right. And I only know about that by way of this forum. Pretty cool group of people.
Once you get that freakish 3rd party cruise removed, here's the thread (super popular) of installing OEM factory cruise control for around $75 & 30 mins of your time. I did this to mine in 2014 & it still works fantastic.

All the best shab.

2014 Soul Base Add Cruise Control

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bingo. Found this piece of crap under the dash, above the pedals. This will be coming out. I'm going to order the proper parts, get it done when they arrive. I've seen there are plenty of sources to buy the parts, can anyone recommend a reputable source?
Font Gas Electric blue Electronic device Machine

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
Bingo. Found this piece of crap under the dash, above the pedals. This will be coming out. I'm going to order the proper parts, get it done when they arrive. I've seen there are plenty of sources to buy the parts, can anyone recommend a reputable source?
View attachment 140680
I have good luck with kiapartsnow.com shab.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I’ve had good luck with www.mykiaparts.com

They’re a dealer in Connecticut.

Try a few of them, I noticed sometimes the shipping prices are extremely high at some online dealers, and more reasonable at others. These guys were more reasonable, but I live not too far from them up in the north east.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Soul RedZone
266 Posts
Once you have the part number.
Google it.
Many, many similar but different sites will be listed.
Most, nearly all, are individual, separate dealership parts depts.
You'll see the sites look very similar,
They use the same software.
However, scroll to the bottom and you see the dealership location's address.

The price for the same part can vary wildly amoung the different dealerships.
SO CHECK SEVERAL.

·
Registered
8,870 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts