Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was viewing some threads about license plate bulbs & colors
I tried some RED LED bulbs for a couple months
Didn't really like them, they weren't a bright as the original bulbs & had a un-adjustable beam that wasn't favorable.
But keep them in until last week when a concerned stranger saw them & told me about a ticket he got for red license plate lights,
It was almost 200.00 fine, he said the law state's you have to have a "white" light.
You could put 1 red & 1 white & that would be legal
I put both my originals back in

But was thinking about putting a RED Led light strip about 8 inches long below the lip & above the plate
Run that at the same time as my original white lights

THAT made me think about having it hooked to the brakes & activate as a 4th brake light
How do you think that would work (or) look like, legal ??

:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
I dont see it being a legal problem...i see trucks all the time with red strips all across the back, and light up hitch covers.

I was thinking if cutting out 'SoulCacher' on my plate frame and lighting it from behind the frame as a break light.

(SoulCacher = I GeoCache, if anyone was wondering what that meant. Lol)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
if you get the UK rear reflector/foglights and replace your rear reflectors with them, you then have reflectors and 2 extra rear lights which you can wire up as extra brake lights. See Fmuscle as he has done it and its all OEM bits.... so you get 5 brake lights at the back..... you can never have too many lights at the back come that high speed panic stop!.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Usually buried in the vehicle code somewhere is a prohibition of certain color lights on the front and rear of the vehicle -- not always in the section of the code that covers mandatory equipment. YMMV.

On my van, the rear step is really flimsy, so I added a big bar across the back that plugs into the trailer hitch. I mounted a couple of LED tail lights on it that alternately flash 3 times, then flash 3 times together, then stay on when I hit the brakes. Keeps people from tailgating. Since the city has a similar setup on the public transport buses, I figure they won't mess with me. I also have a couple of 55-watt spotlights that come on with the backup lights because people like to walk behind the van at night and I can't see them.

I'd keep the license plate lights as-is and maybe add something else. Depending on where you are and how you look, something as stupid as a blue-ish license plate light gives police an excuse to pull you over and harass you -- and they can always find something to write a ticket or take you to jail over.

·
Registered
592 Posts
if you get the UK rear reflector/foglights and replace your rear reflectors with them, you then have reflectors and 2 extra rear lights which you can wire up as extra brake lights. See Fmuscle as he has done it and its all OEM bits.... so you get 5 brake lights at the back..... you can never have too many lights at the back come that high speed panic stop!.
FMuscle was busted last night by the cops in Montreal for something having to do with his rear plate lights or something, he was on bitching about it, best check with him before dispensing that info to make sure what he was or was not pinched for.

It's funny to me, I figure that is one of the consequences of screwing with your car.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
It's funny to me, I figure that is one of the consequences of screwing with your car.
Agreed. It's one thing to add red stripes or roof rails, but entirely another to mess with things like the OP mentioned. The police can pull you over for anything out of the ordinary and cite you for it.

I had a friend get an expensive ticket because he used a license plate frame that illuminates. Against state law in Texas. Some cops won't care, and you may drive around for months (as he did) with no incident, then one day...you see the lights flashing.

The license plate is holy ground for the police. Don't ever do anything that gives them a reason to pull you over. Leave it alone.

Roof rails, stickers, tape, decals, etc...fine. Tint, lighting, etc...be careful. I've seen on this forum where people want their fog lights to stay on with high beams. Illegal in all 50 states. In Texas (not sure about other states), you can't have more than one set of additional lights on at once. I found this out in the '80s when I was pulled over for having my clear fogs and amber fogs on at the same time.

Find out what the laws are before making these changes. Often, you'll discover while people tell you "go for it", the law will say "don't even think about it". License plates and anything to do with them is off limits.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Agreed. It's one thing to add red stripes or roof rails, but entirely another to mess with things like the OP mentioned. The police can pull you over for anything out of the ordinary and cite you for it.

I had a friend get an expensive ticket because he used a license plate frame that illuminates. Against state law in Texas. Some cops won't care, and you may drive around for months (as he did) with no incident, then one day...you see the lights flashing.

The license plate is holy ground for the police. Don't ever do anything that gives them a reason to pull you over. Leave it alone.

Roof rails, stickers, tape, decals, etc...fine. Tint, lighting, etc...be careful. I've seen on this forum where people want their fog lights to stay on with high beams. Illegal in all 50 states. In Texas (not sure about other states), you can't have more than one set of additional lights on at once. I found this out in the '80s when I was pulled over for having my clear fogs and amber fogs on at the same time.

Find out what the laws are before making these changes. Often, you'll discover while people tell you "go for it", the law will say "don't even think about it". License plates and anything to do with them is off limits.
I had 100% clear plastic covers on my SAAB plates, front and rear. I was pulled over by a state trooper and told to remove them or next time he would ticket me because that was illegal.

I still can't figure out how they can sell **** that is illegal to use but that's another thread.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had 100% clear plastic covers on my SAAB plates, front and rear. I was pulled over by a state trooper and told to remove them or next time he would ticket me because that was illegal.

I still can't figure out how they can sell **** that is illegal to use but that's another thread.
May not be illegal in all states, or may be intended for off-road use only -- they use these disclaimers a lot.

As far as the clear covers, many will conceal your plate from toll cameras or red-light cameras, or may mask the plate from law enforcement speed lasers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
May not be illegal in all states, or may be intended for off-road use only -- they use these disclaimers a lot.

As far as the clear covers, many will conceal your plate from toll cameras or red-light cameras, or may mask the plate from law enforcement speed lasers.
I know they have had many issues with plate covers masking things both here and in Canada, I just couldn't fathom clear plastic being an issue, I looked at the cop like WTF are you talking about. I said to him, dude they are clear, then I got this don't argue with me lol.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here a true licence plate story that happened to me 3+ yrs ago
Posted on the Rush music BB, I just copied it over here, 3 parts !

Original post ( 1 )

Driving into work last Friday, a police car pulls up behind me & light's me up. I pull over & He come up & asked for license/ins/reg & asks me if I was the one who altered my license plate. ( I have a personalized plate of GOTRUSH, but i attached a Question mark ? at the end with a sticker, so i kinda looks like GOTRUSH? ) well I say sure, the elder officer informs me this is a "Criminal Offence" and I explain its been there for 4 years & I have had various encounters with law enforcement & nobody ever told me I should remove it. ( my son is a county Sheriff Officer too ) Then he tells me I’m lucky he doesn't take me to JAIL! jezzz.... the more I spoke the madder he got. He ended up writing a Criminal Ticket for “Knowingly Displaying Altered Plates" with a court date on Monday June 16th. I haven't yet checked into the penalty/fine for this.

They took pictures & removed the sticker like it was the crime of the century. There was 3 cars & 5 cops at one point! What a Joke! Oh yea this happened here in Phoenix @ about 8am.

I'm not sure if I want to fight this ticket, or if that's gonna piss the Judge off worst, plus I would have to take time off work & deal with the stupid court process, Thinking on asking for a postponement & then set another court date & maybe the officer won't make it to court.......

Post 2
I contacted the courts & I have to appear on the date listed due to the fact it's a “Criminal " ticket. They asked me directly what happened & then asked me if it was corrected, and seemed to think all I will get is a very reduced fine or possibly no fine. If I want to plead not guilty & summons the cop & set a date in court in front of a judge I can do that too.....

At least a year before I had been pulled over before FOR having the sticker on the plate, those two phoenix police officers caught me as I was just blocks from my house & followed me there, They at first tried to Enter the plate with the ? mark....laughing that it wouldn’t work with 8 characters , we talked about the sticker & Rush & they NEVER told me to remove it or that it was a Criminal act ! I had couple other law enforcement officers stop me & seen it & never said anything, and countless times had Police right behind me & they did nothing! Very Discretional I guess.

Post 3
Update,
Court was today ! Saw the judge, Judge Laura.... Had to plead Guilty, or set a court date for the State to prove their case, incurring more court costs if I lose, ect.... Before pleading guilty I was informed of the penalties, up to 6 months Jail and/or up to 2500.00 fine. Yikes ! I still plead Guilty & Presented my evidence. ( I brought my duplicate plate in with a similar sticker on it ) The Judge looked at it & at first didn't realize anything was wrong! Then I pointed out the sticker was the problem, she then pulls out the Law Book & finds her way to the Statute & first reads the paragraph to herself then makes a sighing sound & proceeds to read me the statute verbatim & gets down to the last few words that state.... "or Altered in any way ". She then say's, looks like this does apply to what you did. Levied a minimum $ 200.00 fine for my infraction. Down stairs a court clerk saw my plate & I told her what had happened & she was glad I told her cause she just got some specialty " save the animals " plates & was going to Paint the animal a different color.......criminal.....

:D

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I always say...do not ever, under any circumstances, EVER give a cop a reason to pull you over. Yeah, you may want to "pimp your ride", but do so responsibly and never with anything like safety equipment (head/tail lights) or registration stuff (plates, etc).

·
Registered
134 Posts
B
I always say...do not ever, under any circumstances, EVER give a cop a reason to pull you over. Yeah, you may want to "pimp your ride", but do so responsibly and never with anything like safety equipment (head/tail lights) or registration stuff (plates, etc).
^^ [Like]

I still don't have my front plate. I transferred my plates from my Civic because they're custom, but a recent collision distorted the front plate.

I was suppose to get 2 new replacement plates but the finance guy forgot to make that note. So all I got were tabs for my old plate. So I popped it on the back until I get both, which should be any day now

I cringe every time I see a cop, hoping he won't notice or care.

·
Registered
139 Posts
FMuscle was busted last night by the cops in Montreal for something having to do with his rear plate lights or something, he was on bitching about it, best check with him before dispensing that info to make sure what he was or was not pinched for.
I been arrested for reckless driving & my Blue Halos. And they dropped the charges on the driving, and made me an official warning about the halos, so I have to remove them before... well that deadline was saturday night :laughonfloor...
FYI, I'm illegal and I'm well aware of this. In addition to blue halos, I have illegal window tint, 5 points racing seatbelt, and regarding to the brake lights, a custom 3rd brake light decal reading "FMuscle". It doesn't say anywhere extra brake lights are illegal.
That said, being illegal, I stay put while driving. Because I don't slow down before a curve doesn't mean I'm reckless. Why do you think He dropped the charge? There was no point keeping it as I was within the speed limit in those curves. (He was just Jalous his Crown Vic couldn't keep up :p )

BTW Blue halos... stay in. Law here says "flashing" blue lights...

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,085 Posts
Wow Soul Rush! That's just plain crazy they would make such a big deal of a freaking sticker. :(

·
Registered
208 Posts
I been arrested for reckless driving & my Blue Halos. And they dropped the charges on the driving, and made me an official warning about the halos, so I have to remove them before... well that deadline was saturday night :laughonfloor...
FYI, I'm illegal and I'm well aware of this. In addition to blue halos, I have illegal window tint, 5 points racing seatbelt, and regarding to the brake lights, a custom 3rd brake light decal reading "FMuscle". It doesn't say anywhere extra brake lights are illegal.
That said, being illegal, I stay put while driving. Because I don't slow down before a curve doesn't mean I'm reckless. Why do you think He dropped the charge? There was no point keeping it as I was within the speed limit in those curves. (He was just Jalous his Crown Vic couldn't keep up :p )

BTW Blue halos... stay in. Law here says "flashing" blue lights...

did you modify your engine to no longer be a little 4 cylinder engine or something?

·
Registered
7 Posts
COPS are D!CKS!! Bullies with a GUN and a BADGE!
LOL way to raise the dead with a quick rant about the fuzz.

Since it's been bumped back up I might as well ask the question if anybody can link out to LED replacement bulbs they have used for their license plate lights? I am really looking for bright white or green. Thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts