Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I am a brand-new Kia Soul owner (a 2019) and for the most part, I love the car. However, I have never had a car with Bluetooth capability before and I am making some dismaying discoveries.

1. I have paired my iphone with the car. Now, when I get in the car, it starts playing whatever music I last listened to, even if the last time I listened to the music, I paused it. If I paused it, shouldn't the car respect that, and not start playing the music by default? This is annoying, but I can learn to deal with it.

2. What I am more troubled by is this: If my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, and I am using Google Maps to navigate, if I then decide to play the radio, my navigation stops talking to me. Because my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, I can't even hear Google Maps out of the phone's speaker. It is rendered completely silent because I turn on the radio. Does it have to be this way??

Thanks in advance to anyone who can speak to this!!

Registered
Hi, and welcome to the forum! 馃榾

I cannot speak for iPhones specifically (long time Android user), but it sounds as though your Bluetooth and audio system are working as designed.

1) This is typically a setting within the music app itself. Look for "resume playback upon connection" or some similiar setting.
2) Bluetooth has 2 distinct protocols. One is HFP (for calls) and the other is AD2P (for audio streaming). The reason calls will override any audio playing is because it is designed to do so. Google maps uses the AD2P for audio and hence since your phone is not selected as the audio source, (you are listening to FM), the in-dash unit will not play Google Maps audio.

Options you have: you can set Google Maps to output over the phone's speaker(s) rather than Bluetooth. This is in the Google Maps settings menu: Navigation Settings> Play voice over Bluetooth. Bear in mind this will not mute the source playing. Or, if you have a robust data plan; you can use a streaming radio service such as TuneIn radio. This would allow you to set the in-dash's audio input to your phone, so you will hear the music playing via AD2P; as well as hear directions via Google Maps.

You did not mention trim level of your Soul, but the other option is to use CarPlay; if the vehicle is so equipped.

Registered
2018 Soul + 2.0L (GDI/non turbo)
Do you have the basic (monochromatic/one color) radio or a full color touch screen? What i've had to do with my Gen 1 (basic radio) was set car radio to MP3 play and then us a streaming service off my phone along with my map program of choice off the phone. Annoyance yes but predictable and easier to deal with once I understood how it worked.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, and welcome to the forum! 馃榾

I cannot speak for iPhones specifically (long time Android user), but it sounds as though your Bluetooth and audio system are working as designed.

1) This is typically a setting within the music app itself. Look for "resume playback upon connection" or some similiar setting.
2) Bluetooth has 2 distinct protocols. One is HFP (for calls) and the other is AD2P (for audio streaming). The reason calls will override any audio playing is because it is designed to do so. Google maps uses the AD2P for audio and hence since your phone is not selected as the audio source, (you are listening to FM), the in-dash unit will not play Google Maps audio.

Options you have: you can set Google Maps to output over the phone's speaker(s) rather than Bluetooth. This is in the Google Maps settings menu: Navigation Settings> Play voice over Bluetooth. Bear in mind this will not mute the source playing. Or, if you have a robust data plan; you can use a streaming radio service such as TuneIn radio. This would allow you to set the in-dash's audio input to your phone, so you will hear the music playing via AD2P; as well as hear directions via Google Maps.

You did not mention trim level of your Soul, but the other option is to use CarPlay; if the vehicle is so equipped.
Thanks for your reply! Re: #1 The music app does not seem to have such a setting associated with it, and in fact it only does this when it's connected to the car, so I think it's a car setting. Maybe I can find it there. But for the moment I'm going to embrace it and listen to my music more, as it seems to be nudging me to do! ;) Re: #2, I think you are right, it is working the way it is designed to and perhaps the only way such as system can. It's designed to play the radio OR "media" (navigation or music from my phone), not both at once.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the basic (monochromatic/one color) radio or a full color touch screen? What i've had to do with my Gen 1 (basic radio) was set car radio to MP3 play and then us a streaming service off my phone along with my map program of choice off the phone. Annoyance yes but predictable and easier to deal with once I understood how it worked.
I have a full color touch screen. And I have no trouble listening to music on my phone, with the navigation (also on my phone) interrupting (turning down the music) when it needs to. It's just that playing the radio silences anything coming from my phone (except maybe calls? I haven't gotten a call yet when I'm in my car; I've only had it 2 days...). Thanks for your reply!

Registered
2014 Kia Soul !
I have a full color touch screen. And I have no trouble listening to music on my phone, with the navigation (also on my phone) interrupting (turning down the music) when it needs to. It's just that playing the radio silences anything coming from my phone (except maybe calls? I haven't gotten a call yet when I'm in my car; I've only had it 2 days...). Thanks for your reply!
I have the same problem with my Android phone on my 1-month old 2014 Soul!. Never thought it would be because the car radio was on. I'm going to try your and SmoovC suggestions. Thanks!

Registered
2. What I am more troubled by is this: If my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, and I am using Google Maps to navigate, if I then decide to play the radio, my navigation stops talking to me. Because my phone is connected to the car via Bluetooth, I can't even hear Google Maps out of the phone's speaker. It is rendered completely silent because I turn on the radio. Does it have to be this way??
In Google Maps go to Settings > Navigation and the options are:
Play voice over Bluetooth
Play as Bluetooth phone call

Set these as you desire.

Honestly though, if you have the upgraded audio system with touchscreen, plug the phone in and use CarPlay.

Registered
I am a brand-new Kia Soul owner (a 2019) and for the most part, I love the car. However, I have never had a car with Bluetooth capability before and I am making some dismaying discoveries.

1. I have paired my iphone with the car. Now, when I get in the car, it starts playing whatever music I last listened to, even if the last time I listened to the music, I paused it. If I paused it, shouldn't the car respect that, and not start playing the music by default? This is annoying, but I can learn to deal with it.
Some clarification needed; you are not using Apple CarPlay? Just connecting to head unit via Bluetooth. What you're describing should not be happening when connected to CarPlay. FYI, I have a 2018 Soul Exclaim Turbo.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
Hi Lisa, I have the base audio in my 2014. I experienced that same issue with music from the phone playing automatically when I connected bluetooth to just use the phone. There is a setting to turn this off in the radio.

I would try turning off all bluetooth radio settings (like bluetooth streaming, any automatic settings etc). Then turn one on at a time and test until you get the results you want.

Registered

Thanks in advance to anyone who can speak to this!!
My 2018 soul, I turn on my music app first( Pandora) then turn on my navigation app( google maps) and when my google map talks it lowers my stereo music to where I can easily hear whatever google maps have to say? I don鈥檛 remember doing anything specifically in the settings. Maybe I just got lucky mine worked this way? But I would look at your settings and go to the app setting like google maps and see if there鈥檚 a setting that will make it the default audio as well as check your app if your using a Pandora, etc. for settings you might need to change as well? Might take a little playing around with your apps settings to get it to work how you want it to! Btw, I also use iPhone 8 myself, good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts