Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2023 Kia Soul LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove the wife to Bob Evans for dinner tonight- temps in FL were around 58 deg.
14.7 miles RT, 7 stops each way - 40, 55-60, 45, 30 mph each way. Trip computer must be defective, haha, this is almost like my old 2007 Prius. StartStop was disabled-
I had 38.3 mpg at the restaurant and used my old pulse glide technique going home.
39.5 mpg is final number. I have no idea how accurate Kia readouts are. My car is 4 days old.

Automotive lighting Automotive design Gadget Audio equipment Vehicle

· Registered
2023 Kia Soul LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think it reads high too- no way it could be that close to a Prius V wagon -
I’m still wondering when the engine uses that 12.5 compression ratio-

· Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
9,070 Posts

· Registered
2023 Kia Soul LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I drove 20 miles today- multiple errands- got it on a faster road , used the sport mode to exercise the engine and got up to 60-63mph-
regular stop-start, my average is down to 34.1- so I have learned that careful, Jack Benny style driving should yield about 3 mpg more than epa numbers- That's what I was interested in-
Carboned up valves was common back in the 60's when I started driving- it was also not unusual to do a ring and valve job on a car by 60,000 miles. Factory warranty was only 1 year and 12,000 miles too.

· Registered
2023 Kia Soul LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There doesn't look like any 2023 numbers yet on fuelly.com, but 2022 shows average mpg at 29.4.

Kia Soul MPG - Actual MPG from 1,686 Kia Soul owners
I have been watching Fuelly too- a Kial Soul is not a hot new vehicle anymore. I might try and go for the record books on my first fill up and open up an account.:D A/C is not needed right now in Florida, so the best mpg numbers I will get is this month

· Registered
2022 LX IVT TechPack
161 Posts
I have been watching Fuelly too- a Kial Soul is not a hot new vehicle anymore. I might try and go for the record books on my first fill up and open up an account.:D A/C is not needed right now in Florida, so the best mpg numbers I will get is this month
Your numbers seem on the mark: notice your RPM's when driving at lower speeds with a light foot. You'll mostly be above the 50MPG on the live readout. I take day trips on country roads and smaller highways, where for 2-3 hours --with minimal stops-- I am driving between 40 and 55. I've gotten up to 49mpg for extended times. In normal usage, 2/3 in town 1/3 highway, and lots of short trips, the readout will show 32-35 per tank. But it doesn't register the gas used either for cold starts (on repeated short trips) or if you use the stop-and-go system. That will drop your average per tank (as rhysoul noted) 3-4 mpg. So in the end, given my generally light foot I get a couple of mpg better than EPA numbers, more so in warmer whether with minimal air conditioning than cold winter weather.

· Registered
2023 Kia Soul EX
4 Posts
I see similar numbers for short trips at lower speeds like that in favorable conditions. I now have about 4K on my 2023 and I would say my average mpg on a single fill-up shakes out to be around 31-32. Which I'm good with, at least it's consistent with what they advertise for the vehicle. I try to drive with a very light foot and watch that number like a hawk (it's almost like a game to me), so I wish it were higher consistently, but as I said, at least it seems to be around what it should be.

· Registered
2023 Kia Soul LX
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I filled up at 200 miles on my new car- just a little under 33mpg. So the 2-3mpg deduction seems spot on.
I too, see the digital readout maxed at 50 mpg at low rpm speeds.
My old 2005 Honda Element would have been 19-20 mpg and my smaller 2009 Chevrolet HHR would have been 24-25 mpg. I'm very happy with the fuel economy and performance of this Atkinson cycle 4 banger.

· Registered
2021 Soul LX 6 speed
39 Posts
My ‘21 LX 6 speed gets between 37-39 mpg but my driving cycle is mostly highway at speeds of 65 mph and below. Some slight climbs and drops at elevation between 4000’ and 5000’. The cars computer is about 4-5 mpg optimistic - my mpg is calculated at fillups, gallons into miles. 87 octane fuel. Happy.

· Registered
701 Posts
I just drove 255 miles rm my son’s home in Virginia to mine in Pennsylvania. 99% of it was on the interstate. With the exception of a 15 mile stretch of 10 mph travel, all of it as 65-75 MPH. Calculated mileage was 32.5 mph. Since the EPA says I’m supposed not get 33. I’m not complaining the construction did make a difference. The same distance on the way down there was 35.

· Registered
3,107 Posts
I like to take a little road trip, once a week, of 15.5 miles. I usually get there with the car reporting 35 or more average MPG for the trip. Likewise on the return trip home.
So the question, "Does that mean that I'm making the whole trip on less than one gallon of gas.?" I like to think so, but am I right?
With rising gas prices, again, I'm really watching my speed and MPG very closely.
One little trick, is to use "Overdrive" (8th Gear) as much as possible and keep the RPM's down.
And don't expect to get good MPG at 70 mph.
:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts