Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background - I recently purchased a '19 Base MT and drove away knowing I did not get a luxury car. So I am not complaining about what I got, but I am looking to see what can and can't be done and so forth. I am fairly handy, don't mind almost anything DIY and have a decent background in car audio.

Already in the plans:
  • Adding Cruise Control
  • Swapping Center Console to gain Armrest
  • Keyless Entry (need more details on kit source)

Wish List:
  • Automatic Door Locks (all doors unlock when e-brake pulled)
  • Automatic Lift-gate (this would be a dream)
  • Upgrading stereo for UVO/Apple Car Play unit without sacrificing anything
  • Adding aftermaket sub/amp to give it better low-end without changing current system
  • Auto-dimming mirror w/ homelink (seen the thread, seems easy enough, need funding and this is lower priority)
  • The right set of all-weather mats

Bold items are what I need more info on at this point. If anyone has thread links for the DIY projects that might be buried (I've read most everything I can find going back to 2016) or outside links to parts and/or videos I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I'm guessing to get the bolded items it would cost less to get the next model up that I believe has them and they would be covered under warranty. (I don't know about the auto hatch.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,397 Posts
Unfortunately for us MT drivers, there is no next model up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing to get the bolded items it would cost less to get the next model up that I believe has them and they would be covered under warranty. (I don't know about the auto hatch.
Since the simplest "step up" is to make it AT @ ~$1800 it's hard to say I would spend even close to half of that to get everything I want. Except for the amp/sub but I already have that anyway. Just need to install.

·
Registered
499 Posts
You might be surprised at how ridiculously overpriced the OEM headunits can be.

For example at KiaPartsNow, they have a 8" AVN headunit for 2017/18 on sale for $3300.00 retail $4667.00 and 7" LCD for $1416.00 retail $2000.00. Probably pay full retail at dealerships and about 30% of retail at a recycler (if you can even find it at one).

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Substituting the OEM nav unit is an almost impossible swap and fraught with many challenges, it has been attempted on other KIA and Hyundai forums with no degree of success.

Pat.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not looking for Nav, just Apple Car Play via factory system.

I tried talking to my dealerships parts counter and was told that they don't know if a higher grade unit from same year will even work. Seems like a serious lack of knowledge or care. I have found a couple '18 7" units for reasonable prices, and considering getting one to test it out. My biggest concern is this talk about the radios all being VIN locked and finding that even if everything wiring-wise worked out, it might not function because of VIN and the BCM? <smh>

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,612 Posts
I'm not looking for Nav, just Apple Car Play via factory system.

I tried talking to my dealerships parts counter and was told that they don't know if a higher grade unit from same year will even work. Seems like a serious lack of knowledge or care. I have found a couple '18 7" units for reasonable prices, and considering getting one to test it out. My biggest concern is this talk about the radios all being VIN locked and finding that even if everything wiring-wise worked out, it might not function because of VIN and the BCM? <smh>
I'm surprised you got even that level of interest/expertise. KIA parts guys are among the least interested or imaginative folks I've run into at parts counters in many moons. If it's not in their ABCs it's way past their ability to conceive.

"So I'd like to substitute Optima horns for my half-assed Soul peeper. What would those cost?"
"Duh you have a VIN?"
"Yes, but it's for the Soul."
"Why would you want to replace the horn? The Soul already has a horn."

Etc. etc.

Reactions: HomerJay

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Duh you have a VIN?"
THis is exactly where I stopped listening... when I asked for a parts catalog (for actual parts, not just accessories) he looked at me weird. Then explained how he just puts a VIN into the system and it tells him what part came WITH the vehicle and can order a replacement.

I said, there is no way the system can tell you what other OPTIONS would mechanically/electrically work? He said, no. I walked away. I have a buddy who is a service writer at a Hyn dealership and they share with Kia, I am going to chat him up this weekend to find the actual radio-head-technician (every show has at least one) and have a real conversation.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Save yourself the headache of using a OEM headunit and go with an aftermarket headunit.

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure which is the bigger headache (yet)... some research on the Kia site shows that the 2019 Base does have a 'convenience' package that bundles 7" UVO and Auto Temp Control. This leads me to believe swapping the 5" HU for the 7" UVO w/out Nav could be plug and play, or at least minor wire splicing.

I am not sure if I would also have to swap the temp control interface or not; and the bezel would need replaced since the HU is a slightly different shape.

This is obviously a huge mistake on my part during the sales process because this is only a $1200 upgrade and definitely should have been done then. Too late to change that now though.

Cost of AC controls is too high to consider that as a real option I think, unless I can find one to rip out of a u-pull scarpyard.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Armrest parts ordered - replacing factory console... thread pending
Keyless entry ordered - attempting to add flip-key fobs... thread pending

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,612 Posts
You mean swtichblade?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,397 Posts
Hey Rozey double check on that convenience pkg upgrade before you beat yourself up. For some reason I thought there was an asterisk that said available on auto trans only. Base manuals always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop :)

I agree that probably any upgrade can be done yourself with OEM parts.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Rozey double check on that convenience pkg upgrade before you beat yourself up. For some reason I thought there was an asterisk that said available on auto trans only. Base manuals always get the fuzzy end of the lollipop :)

I agree that probably any upgrade can be done yourself with OEM parts.
That is correct - I missed that when originally looking, but it IS only after the AT. So almost $3k total.

Basically the manual gets no options at all - but I still think its an eas upgrade, but not sure I want to drop about $500 to find out just yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts